The Student Room Group

A Summer of Maths

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jack.hadamard
I see. Well, I will focus on Real Analysis for the moment; it doesn't quite suit me.

Do you recommend these Zorich's books, so that I add them in the OP?

Highly... I think they're significantly better than the burkhill books which are the most common analysis books

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by TheMagicMan
Highly... I think they're significantly better than the burkhill books which are the most common analysis books

Added to the OP.
Original post by Blutooth

Modular arithmetic won. I'd rather explain it to a secondary school student. :biggrin:

Question:

If xx and yy are real numbers with y0y \geq 0 and y(y+1)(x+1)2y(y + 1) \leq (x + 1)^2, then the inequality y(y1)x2y(y-1) \leq x^2 is satisfied.

Prove or disprove the above statement.
Modular arithmetic won. I'd rather explain it to a secondary school student. :biggrin:

Question:

If xx and yy are real numbers with y0y \geq 0 and y(y+1)(x+1)2y(y + 1) \leq (x + 1)^2, then the inequality y(y1)x2y(y-1) \leq x^2 is satisfied.

Prove or disprove the above statement.

lol, so you're onto more interesting questions then :smile:
lol, so you're onto more interesting questions then :smile:

Well, the interesting part of this question was to find an elementary solution; I couldn't see one.
Otherwise, it is a question like any other, but if you have suggestions I can still chew a bit on it.
Original post by Lord of the Flies
Question

Find f:RRf:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R} such that (x,y)R:\forall (x,y)\in\mathbb{R}:

f(x2+f(y))=xf(x)+y\displaystyle f \left( x^2+f(y) \right)=x f(x)+y

Just started with this one.

Spoiler

Question

Find f:RRf:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R} such that (x,y)R:\forall (x,y)\in\mathbb{R}:

f(x2+f(y))=xf(x)+y\displaystyle f \left( x^2+f(y) \right)=x f(x)+y

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Just started with this one.

Spoiler

There are two - and yes, the involution is key.
Reply 188
I see. Well, I will focus on Real Analysis for the moment; it doesn't quite suit me.

Yes - they are probably the best analysis books I've come across. Annoyed I didn't know about them when I was an undergrad

Yeah I got that there are two... Beyond an inductive approach is there a simple solution?

Does anyone on here like combinatorial problems cos I've got a shedload of those. Also got quite a few olympiad style number theory if anyone is interested.
Yeah I got that there are two... Beyond an inductive approach is there a simple solution?

I did not know what involution was and still used it. Seems a relatively simple technique to me.

Edit: misread induction as involution \facepalm :P
(edited 11 years ago)

:yes:
Damn you beat me to it. Oh and there is another thing f(x) could be.

Yeah, just realised; I was more or less guessing.

That is a nice question then. Do you have some more similar? :tongue:
Does anyone on here like combinatorial problems cos I've got a shedload of those.

I generally like to bang my head in the wall, but it depends on whether they require undergrad combinatorics. :biggrin:

Yes there is a fairly simple solution!

EDIT: in fact Blutooth posted it a few minutes ago! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
I generally like to bang my head in the wall, but it depends on whether they require undergrad combinatorics. :biggrin:

:s-smilie: Some of those are quite tough. I mean, I could link a combinatorics question that uses complex numbers but I don't think many undergrads would be able to solve it :tongue:

A very hard one :
Find the number of subsets of {1,2,...,2000} the sum of whose elements is divisible by 5.
Required

Spoiler

Let m and n be integers greater than 1. Let S be a set with n elements, and let, A1,A2,...,AmA_1, A_2,...,A_m be subsets of S. Assume that for any two elements x and y in S, there is a set AiA_i such that either x is in AiA_i and y is not in AiA_i or x is not in AIA_I and y is in AiA_i . Prove that n2mn \leq 2^m

Required knowledge

Spoiler

An even number of persons are seated round a table. After a break they are seated around the same table, not necessarily in the same places. Prove that at least two persons have the same number of person between them as before the break.

Difficulty: medium.

Spoiler

This is a lovely hard problem.... f is a continuous function from [-1,1] to R. Given that 2xf(x)=f(2x21) 2xf(x)=f(2x^2-1), find all such f.

Required: understanding what continuous means

I'm subscribing to this thread. Going to be studying JMC at Imperial this October.
A few more days, assuming the problems will be posted soon, and we can have a go with this year's IMO problems. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest