The Student Room Group

I am finding it hard to get an apprenticeship.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Dajaffer
Because my city is 'small' in comparison to Bristol or London. Bigger cities can mean better chances of employment. Not every day would I travel to and from, the apprentice scheme would either pay for me to live in the city (British Gas for eg) OR I'd use my current part time job savings to rent an apartment or such during the apprenticeship.

A full time job was one I meant in an office or so, like insurance companies, for eg Ageas, Endsleigh Insurance etc, whilst I still look for an apprenticeship. These companys have full time vacancies at around £11-18k a year, and are known for their employment of students or young people.

Oh and London is a major working hub, just like Berlin or Paris (two awesome capitals)

Bristol would be best as its closest but still wuold you want to have 12 hour days everyday for a rubbish wage?.I dont know if you would be better off just looking for a full time job what schemes pay for you to live in the city? I have not herd of them some may pay for your travel if its cheap.
I'm 16, just left school this year, currently working in McDonalds. Applied for an Apprenticeship with Virgin Holidays, went into London last week for an Assessment Day. Succeeded that and now have an interview next week. Hopefully I get in, if not I'm going to go Sixth Form

It's great pay and benefits for a 16 year old, I think the apprenticeships are out there, you just need to wait and get lucky.

Good luck to anyone who is trying to get work, it's like a lottery! If you're not in to try, you're not going to win it. :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by sassy123
Hi,

I have applied for about 4 and no luck i am not even getting rejected just nop reply at all.

I don't know what i am doing wrong i feel if i had an interview it would give me a chance to prove myself but so far no luck.

I am 19 and completed a levels at college at feel i would benifit more from on the job training than uni.Its getting me down I am really bored doing nothing all day every day.

The only Apprenticeships in my area are either cheap labour (E.g subartist) or out of my reach.

How long did it take you to get one? and how many did you apply for?

Thankyou.x

You have only applied for four? If you are bored all day why don't you spend your time applying for more! Also, ring them up to check they got your application/ ask questions about the company/ make it clear how interested you are. Even go to visit some of them. They will be a lot more favourably disposed to you if you do that!
Reply 23
It seems like its only contruction as i am girl its not really for me.Thanks anyway i just have to keep on looking.

you could ring them see if they offer office work always a try :smile:
Bristol would be best as its closest but still wuold you want to have 12 hour days everyday for a rubbish wage?.I dont know if you would be better off just looking for a full time job what schemes pay for you to live in the city? I have not herd of them some may pay for your travel if its cheap.

mate I know of NO jobs that do 12 hours a day except oil rig workers... 12 hours is pushing it lol. Maybe 7-9 hours MAX, never 12!

For a rubbish wage, I'm happy for a low - average wage, it keeps me from boredom or even worse, being a bum!
Reply 25
Original post by Dajaffer
mate I know of NO jobs that do 12 hours a day except oil rig workers... 12 hours is pushing it lol. Maybe 7-9 hours MAX, never 12!

For a rubbish wage, I'm happy for a low - average wage, it keeps me from boredom or even worse, being a bum!

I mean it would be a 12 hour day including travel.

Going to apply for some more working on improving my CV hopefully i get an interview soon.
I found it really hard to get my apprenticeship. I actually got rejected for one on the basis I wasn't 16 - 18 - note that your employer will get reduced funding as you've already got a level 3 qualification and are over 18.

I wouldn't travel too far for an apprenticeship. You still have to live. I had to pay for a car, petrol, rent and other bills on £150 a week and I tell you, it's bloody difficult!
Yeah I applied for one last week its really annoying waiting for a reply.Some of them are just slave labour i see some of them and they are 40hrs a week for under £100 its disgusting.

This isn't unusual. They're only required to pay £2.65 an hour (and that's when it goes up by 5p in October) if you're under 19. The same applies if you're over 19 and in the first year of your apprenticeship - but after the first year they're required to pay minimum wage.

My friend is 19 and works with children 40 hours a week for just over £100 a week. College didn't work out for her (she finished a HNC, passed it with a C, but they wouldn't let her come back for the HND) so this was her back-up option. It took her 7-8 months to even get an apprenticeship - she got in touch with every nursery within a 15 mile radius of the town we live in and only one place would even take her on. She really wants to work in childcare, so she's putting up with the crap pay for the year because it means she'll one day get to where she wants to be.

So, with how difficult it is to even to get an apprenticeship, if it's what you really want to do then just put up with the pay. If you're 19 or over it'll only be for one year anyway - it might look bad in the short-term but in the long-term it'll be worth it.
Reply 28
I started to apply in March of this year and only three weeks ago had an interview with GSK the pharmaceutical company, and only 2 weeks ago got accepted, i had applied to well in excess of 30 apprenticeships with only GSK replying and eventually taking me on :smile:
Original post by sinfonietta
This isn't unusual. They're only required to pay £2.65 an hour (and that's when it goes up by 5p in October) if you're under 19. The same applies if you're over 19 and in the first year of your apprenticeship - but after the first year they're required to pay minimum wage.

My friend is 19 and works with children 40 hours a week for just over £100 a week. College didn't work out for her (she finished a HNC, passed it with a C, but they wouldn't let her come back for the HND) so this was her back-up option. It took her 7-8 months to even get an apprenticeship - she got in touch with every nursery within a 15 mile radius of the town we live in and only one place would even take her on. She really wants to work in childcare, so she's putting up with the crap pay for the year because it means she'll one day get to where she wants to be.

So, with how difficult it is to even to get an apprenticeship, if it's what you really want to do then just put up with the pay. If you're 19 or over it'll only be for one year anyway - it might look bad in the short-term but in the long-term it'll be worth it.

Yeah, this is 100% right. That's just the way it is if you're wanting to work in that selected field. I'm an apprentice at this moment, in my first year, and I'm 19, so I'll be entitled to NMW next year (I'm contracted for at least two years, thankfully). I work in Business.

The same goes to my friend whose an Engineer, he had to put up with a very low wage for the first two/three years but after he's finished (he finishes soon), he'll be on about 20K a year starting wage, and getting his HNC/HND free (first two years of University). So ultimately, in the long run, it's well worth it - even just for the experience.
Reply 30
Original post by inksplodge
I found it really hard to get my apprenticeship. I actually got rejected for one on the basis I wasn't 16 - 18 - note that your employer will get reduced funding as you've already got a level 3 qualification and are over 18.

I wouldn't travel too far for an apprenticeship. You still have to live. I had to pay for a car, petrol, rent and other bills on £150 a week and I tell you, it's bloody difficult!

Can i ask how many you applied for before you got one?
Can i ask how many you applied for before you got one?

I think I applied for 7 in total, I only got an interview for one (which I got).
Reply 32
I've found that some placements ring me and leave a message. i ring them back thne they say they will ring me back again to sort thinsg out as they are busy etc and then they dont ring back its soo annoying.
Reply 33
Original post by _Browner_
I've found that some placements ring me and leave a message. i ring them back thne they say they will ring me back again to sort thinsg out as they are busy etc and then they dont ring back its soo annoying.

I have had an application in Progress for the past two days its so annoying.Don't know if its a good sign or not?? I have had 3 rejections so far.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by inksplodge
I think I applied for 7 in total, I only got an interview for one (which I got).

Thankyou for your reply.Fingers crossed i get an interview soon.
Reply 35
Just keep on applying for apprenticeships in departments you like, it is not just for hands on work,which suprised me, for example there are apprenticeships in teaching. I am partially in the same dilemma, not sure whether to go to university, which may be a waste of money, energy and time, or train on the job through an apprenticeship, kind of being pushed by teachers in the university direction, but what if you can't get a job after, what's the point. And, except a few, many of us don't know what career we want to head towards, but pushed towards making the choice. But then university leads to better careers and finance afterwards. Anyway, maybe try some work experience, because that's helpful,create a cv, but I'm sure you already have,make sure you're doing the little basic things right. Also, sign up to websites, there's an official apprenticeship website if you google that,think it's apprenticeship.org and then you can search different departments and locations, and it has lots of specific apprenticeships.Don't give up, keep on looking! :smile:
Reply 36
why don't to start up earn while you learn courses like Dental Nursing and Pharmacy Technician course?
Reply 37
Original post by placement
why don't to start up earn while you learn courses like Dental Nursing and Pharmacy Technician course?

This is not the area i wish to pursue.I have applied for 10 now and still no luck i have no idea why.
I applied for 14 and got into final stages of the process for 9.
Then scrapped them all for an apprenticeship with a company I was really excited to join ASAP. They're sending me to university part-time as of this September, too, expenses paid.

From start to finish, from applying to my first apprenticeship to joining my current employer, the process lasted about 2 weeks.

They're definitely out there. The cliché, "it's not what you know but who you know" springs to mind. Ask some of your friends or family to keep an ear out for you, pass on your interest etc.

The National Apprentices website is fabulous for finding some relatively big and also under-the-radar opportunities.

It might be an idea re-writing your CV and getting some of your friendlier teachers from school to offer you some good references. There's plenty of resources on the web to give you an idea with this kind of stuff.

I'm sure if you stick it out you'll find something just for you! If you don't already, I'd recommend learning to drive or even get yourself a little moped. I did both and this is also very useful in broadening your opportunities as you're able to travel.

Best of luck!
Reply 39
Original post by Scotteriath
I applied for 14 and got into final stages of the process for 9.
Then scrapped them all for an apprenticeship with a company I was really excited to join ASAP. They're sending me to university part-time as of this September, too, expenses paid.

From start to finish, from applying to my first apprenticeship to joining my current employer, the process lasted about 2 weeks.

They're definitely out there. The cliché, "it's not what you know but who you know" springs to mind. Ask some of your friends or family to keep an ear out for you, pass on your interest etc.

The National Apprentices website is fabulous for finding some relatively big and also under-the-radar opportunities.

It might be an idea re-writing your CV and getting some of your friendlier teachers from school to offer you some good references. There's plenty of resources on the web to give you an idea with this kind of stuff.

I'm sure if you stick it out you'll find something just for you! If you don't already, I'd recommend learning to drive or even get yourself a little moped. I did both and this is also very useful in broadening your opportunities as you're able to travel.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the advice maybe i have just been unlucky but i am sure there is nothing wrong with my application i have no idea why i am not getting interviews.I found one i was perfect for and still no interview sometimes i wonder why i even bother.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending