The Student Room Group

Chance a Canadian Bloke for UK Schools -- Thanks

Hey,

I'm a white male hockey player from Canada--go figure. Come this fall I'll be applying to universities in the United Kingdom. I'd appreciate it if you could "chance me."

Schools:

London School of Economics - Accounting & Finance
"Ontario: University Preparatory Courses - 90% (85% for BBB programmes at A level) in six grade 12 courses at least five of which must be University Preparatory Courses (4U). The sixth course could be a University/College Preparation Course (4M)."

Warwick - Accounting & Finance
"Typically we require at least 85% in High School Diploma, with 5 M or U courses with grades of 85%. IB also accepted."

Imperial College London - Mathematics with Statistics for Finance
"Scores of 85%-90% both overall and in relevant Grade 12 subjects as required."

University College London - Economics
"For entry into UCL’s undergraduate degree programmes, students who hold A-Levels, the International Baccalaureate or the Canadian High School/Secondary School qualifications with good grades will be considered.

For specific entry requirements for individual programmes, students are best advised to contact the undergraduate admissions tutor as listed in the Undergraduate Prospectus."

City University London - Investment & Financial Risk Management
"Please contact Admissions."

Grades:

Calculus (U) - 96%
Advanced Functions (U) - 96%
Data Management (U) - 100%
English (U) - 93%
Economics (U) - 100%
Resource Management (M) - 99%

From what I gather, you don't list your extracurricular activities in the United Kingdom. Rather, you write what's called a personal statement.

I've interned at a marketing research firm as well as a venture capital firm. I'm hoping to land a job in private wealth management.

I'm working on my Chartered Investment Manager (CIM®) Designation. I should have my Investment Management Techniques (IMT®) by the time I apply.

I'm the captain of my school's varsity hockey team, and have two hundred or so odd community hours working at blood donor clinics, churches, and hockey rinks.

To anyone who can provide insight--thank you!

All the best ~

Also, what are some other target (not semi-target) schools aside from Oxford & Cambridge?
Oh you smart smart boy. You've hit the big time. But I assure you, you're no longer going to be on the ball.
Reply 2
Original post by Extensity
Hey,

I'm a white male hockey player from Canada--go figure.

What is that even meant to mean?
Reply 3
From what you have written about your grades at the bottom of your post you seem to have what they are looking for so have as much chance as everyone else you also have done a lot of extra curricular things which look very good on personal statements and can help you stand out from other applicants. For all the information you need to know about personal statements, how to apply and other UK universities that run similar courses look on the UCAS website it has literally every bit of information you can think of on there :smile:
It mean's he's a rank above the ordinary Citizen of the UK. Acts of transgression against the queen and her adulation for polo players shall not be tolerated I SAY NOT BE TOLERATED in an absolute monarchy. God save our glorious queen.
Reply 5
Hey,

I'm a white male hockey player from Canada--go figure.

Ahh, that made me giggle.

Your academics are decent, as are all of your extra curriculars. I'd say you stand a pretty good chance with a solid personal statement and references. For help with personal statements and applications, the UCAS website holds almost everything you'll need, as does TSR.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by harekrishna
Oh you smart smart boy. You've hit the big time. But I assure you, you're no longer going to be on the ball.

In what sense?
Reply 7
Original post by aliluvschoc
What is that even meant to mean?

Everyone that's a white guy in Canada plays hockey. I guess it might be comparable to football where you live.
Reply 8
Original post by laura1234
From what you have written about your grades at the bottom of your post you seem to have what they are looking for so have as much chance as everyone else you also have done a lot of extra curricular things which look very good on personal statements and can help you stand out from other applicants. For all the information you need to know about personal statements, how to apply and other UK universities that run similar courses look on the UCAS website it has literally every bit of information you can think of on there :smile:

Thanks, Laura, I will explore UCAS's resources. I've already registered. Still trying to figures out the differences in terms used in the United Kingdom and how to submit my grades. :colondollar:
In what sense?

It seems to me that your a bit overambitious. By no way do I mean that you won't be successful or be a charted investment whatever the hell it is that you want to be. But eventually everything that you strived for won't really be of value to you any more. A simple glass of water shall suffice is all I'm saying. You're overqualified and you know it.
Reply 10
It seems to me that your a bit overambitious. By no way do I mean that you won't be successful or be a charted investment whatever the hell it is that you want to be. But eventually everything that you strived for won't really be of value to you any more. A simple glass of water shall suffice is all I'm saying. You're overqualified and you know it.

I'd agree and disagree, but it's better to be over- than under-qualified. I'm working on my Chartered Investment Manager designation on the small chance that I don't get accepted to any of the target schools in London.

Be that the case, I'll end up at McGill for their Business Commerce program then will transition into their Investment Management program starting year 2. I figured that being a Chartered Investment Manager at ~20 would give me the upper edge when it comes to acceptances in a program that accepted 11 students in 2012.

On a side note, I don't want to be a Chartered Investment Manager. Just getting the designation for the program's sake. It's like all those American kids you see who have endless extracurricular activities that aren't relevant, 'cept this ones professional.
Reply 11
Thank you all for your replies!
No it's understandable that you sought out a couple avenues to pursue a realized profession. It's just that can you picture yourself with that persona and the general labor that tends to be involved in that specific line of work. You obviously are more qualified to speak on behalf of what your pursuing, but I must say it is it what it's cranked up to be. I guess if we lived in an ideal world we would get the fantasy jobs we wanted but unfortunately things don't always turn out to be that way. You said you wanted to go to McGill. I have no clue about it's academic credentials, but there's something about the campus that threw men off. Check the place out before you decide to apply there. Montreal is a great city, although it's small its kind of like a cul de sac where you'll get to know people with the city's perimeter. I live in Canada to and recently applied to a university in Glasgow so I was kinda in the same rut as you. However I can guarantee that you'll get accepted to some of the high calibre institutions across the UK with ease. Cheerio (is what they say when the bid someone farewell).
Reply 13
No it's understandable that you sought out a couple avenues to pursue a realized profession. It's just that can you picture yourself with that persona and the general labor that tends to be involved in that specific line of work. You obviously are more qualified to speak on behalf of what your pursuing, but I must say it is it what it's cranked up to be. I guess if we lived in an ideal world we would get the fantasy jobs we wanted but unfortunately things don't always turn out to be that way. You said you wanted to go to McGill. I have no clue about it's academic credentials, but there's something about the campus that threw men off. Check the place out before you decide to apply there. Montreal is a great city, although it's small its kind of like a cul de sac where you'll get to know people with the city's perimeter. I live in Canada to and recently applied to a university in Glasgow so I was kinda in the same rut as you. However I can guarantee that you'll get accepted to some of the high calibre institutions across the UK with ease. Cheerio (is what they say when the bid someone farewell).

What province are you in?
Reply 14
You've chosen a whole range of subjects and this makes writing a personal statement which tries to incorporate all of them difficult. The best unis can sniff if you're using 1 statement to apply to several different courses so the best thing to do is to apply for the same or very similar course across all your universities.

Targets:

LSE
Oxford
Cambridge
Warwick
UCL

You'd get more luck if you posted in this forum - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending