The Student Room Group

A level options dilemma

Going into year 11 and over the summer we've been asked to think about what A levels we might do. I've narrowed it down to:

Maths
English Lit
Physics
History
F.Maths
Chemistry

The problem I have is I am stuck between opting for two completely different degrees: Engineering/Physics or Law. I find that I am naturally very talented at English and so find History very easy. This would be the reason for me doing law however I am very interested in Maths and Physics and I might enjoy them more than law. So I would like to keep my options open until I have made a final decision. So which would be the best options for me? And also if I did choose Eng, History, Physics and Maths would I still have a good chance of doing Physics as these are the subjects I would get the highest grades in without having to do loads of work or should I do Chem/F.Maths?
For Physics, most universities require Physics and Maths. As long as you have those subjects, you'll be fine! Taking English and History along side those won't put you at a disadvantage if you decide to go into Physics. It might even give you a slight advantage as it shows you can write essays whilst other candidates for Physics tend to take all sciences which aren't particularly essay based.

I can't really advise you about Law as I don't know much about their admission processes.. But I can help with your science questions! :biggrin:

But if you're undecided, I think that Physics, Maths, English and History is a good selection!
You've got ages yet. Have you looked at uni course prospectuses to see what the courses entail? Something might sound really interesting, but when you see what it actually involves, you might not like it as much. This is also a good way of narrowing down the same courses from different unis.

But if you did Eng, Hist, Maths and Phys you could thend ecide at the end of year 12 what you will do. And by that time you should have gone to uni open days and decided.

If you do go down the sciencey route, make sure they only require 2 sciences, I think some might like 3 then your 4th can be anything.

But you shouldn't pick something just because you're good at the relevant subjects. In your personal statement for uni, you need to show your passion for your chosen subject and how dedicated you are to it. Plus any relevant ECs or experiences to that subject.
Reply 3
There are no required subjects for law, but maths and physics are crucial for a physics degree, and f maths would also be useful. Eng, History, Physics and Maths would be an ideal combination, especially as many top unis look for top grades, and you'd be able to get higher grades in subjects you enjoy :smile:
This pdf published by the Russell Group of top unis suggests subjects for specific degrees and might help you:
http://russellgroup.ac.uk/media/informed-choices/InformedChoices-latest.pdf
Reply 4
Law degrees, don't have strict subject requirements, but I remember seeing that at least one essay subject was preferred and obviously academic subjects are required (which all of your options listed are so no problems there). Some universities prefer 3 science subjects (this includes maths and FM) for science courses and will generally require 2. Therefore I would suggest:

English literature / history
physics
mathematics
further mathematics

However, I'm likely to be biased towards maths/physics (just look at my signature :tongue:). Saying that, these subjects will aid a strong application to any of the subjects you have expressed an interest in and you still have year 11 to discover more about your strengths and interests.
I agree with much of what has been said. For Law, the best two would be Maths (for logic) and History (for evidence and presentation). For Engineering or Physics, Maths and Physics.

So include Maths, Physics and History in your core. Chemistry adds little to either choice. Further Maths is helpful if you want to apply to a top Uni for Engineering or Physics. It's also a heavyweight A level. English Lit would add to Law, but not to Engineering.

I would go for Maths, Further Maths, History and Physics.

If you choose Engineering or Physics at Uni, you will probably be required to undertake practical (bench) work followed by lab reports. If you choose Law the corresponding practical is a moot. Which do you see yourself as more comfortable with?

From your brief description I would not be surprised if you brought Maths, Computer Science or Philosophy into your Uni choices.
Reply 6
I'm surprised that there haven't been people saying "you need to do the usual Maths, F.Maths, Physics and Chem for Physics!" Do Russell Group uni's care really? Would I be better off doing subjects which would satisfy the course like F.Maths or doing English which I would find easier getting a higher grade in (this is for if I decide to do Physics/Eng.)
Reply 7
Original post by smile:D
There are no required subjects for law, but maths and physics are crucial for a physics degree, and f maths would also be useful. Eng, History, Physics and Maths would be an ideal combination, especially as many top unis look for top grades, and you'd be able to get higher grades in subjects you enjoy :smile:
This pdf published by the Russell Group of top unis suggests subjects for specific degrees and might help you:
http://russellgroup.ac.uk/media/informed-choices/InformedChoices-latest.pdf

The link was really informative, thank you :smile:
Maths,Physics,Eng lit, History

Prepares you well for physics or law degree
Reply 9
Yet would I still be at a disadvantage by not doing another science/further maths if I were to apply to a university such as Durham/Bristol or even Oxbridge? I mean will they care if haven't or are grades more important?
Original post by Jordan Barker
Yet would I still be at a disadvantage by not doing another science/further maths if I were to apply to a university such as Durham/Bristol or even Oxbridge? I mean will they care if haven't or are grades more important?

If you may apply to Cambridge for Engineering or Natural Sciences (Physical) then I strongly recommend you take Further Maths, which will not prejudice a Law option. Some offers made to candidates who only have one Maths A level include a STEP grade - and you don't want that. You would also start alongside people most of whom already have FM. So Maths would be tough at Uni.
Reply 11
Hmm... Well I feel able and ambitious enough to do Further Maths, I can always change if I dislike it yet I think I will enjoy it. Thanks all!
You might want to look into which type of engineering you'd like to do then make choices from there as some uni's which are better and your preferred type of engineering may only want Maths and Physics, in which case you can do more essay subjects which may help if you decide to apply to law.
Reply 13
Well for all of the possible physics/engineering courses they ask for Maths and Physics and preferably Further Maths (or Chemistry). I'm confused as to what they mean by "preferably" whether 90% of applicants will be doing those subjects anyway or will I still have the same chance regardless of whether I have done those subjects or not. I have asked some people and they say that what you do in further maths is done in the first year so am I missing out on much?

Quick Reply

Latest