The Student Room Group

a-level dilemma

Since September I've been yo-yoing between being terrified of Phyiscs and wanting to change to bio, and actually wanting to stick with Physics because I think it's cool and interesting
However, I heard A-level Bio is just as hard so what if I switch to Bio and end up hating it? I can't switch back at this point my school won't let me. I chose Physics Chem and Math. For me Math and Chem are fine and I enjoy them, but Physics is just so scary, but i still want to do well!! Any advice on how to make up my mind?? i wish I didn't overthink so much :frown:
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by flower girl
Since September I've been yo-yoing between being terrified of Phyiscs and wanting to change to bio, and actually wanting to stick with Physics because I think it's cool and interesting
However, I heard A-level Bio is just as hard so what if I switch to Bio and end up hating it? I can't switch back at this point my school won't let me. I chose Physics Chem and Math. For me Math and Chem are fine and I enjoy them, but Physics is just so scary, but i still want to do well!! Any advice on how to make up my mind?? i wish I didn't overthink so much :frown:

This needs to be a dialogue with your physics teacher about what you're finding difficulty and why. Is it this topic and others will be better? Or is it the subject overall? And the other question is: are you good at it?

There are no easy A Levels, it's what you find easier and harder.
Reply 2

Can I ask what you plan on doing after uni ? This might help u in decision making

Its dependent on a lot of things. First question you should ask yourself in this case is: Would you rather memorize concepts and names or understand concepts and be able to derive them. If you would rather the former, take bio, if the latter, take physics. It really does depend on how your mind works. I take A level physics atm, and yes it is incredibly interesting but difficult, however its manageable.
Reply 4
Original post by mounia.snf
Can I ask what you plan on doing after uni ? This might help u in decision making

I'm not too sure, I've been thinking of physics with medical physics and I also like the sound of Chemistry or Pharmacy, sometimes I think about engineering like robotics. But medicine looks like a fulfilling career too, however I heard that some unis don't ask for Bio for med school for example Manchester uni so if I really want to i guess that could be an option. I really don't know right now.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by 04MR17
This needs to be a dialogue with your physics teacher about what you're finding difficulty and why. Is it this topic and others will be better? Or is it the subject overall? And the other question is: are you good at it?

There are no easy A Levels, it's what you find easier and harder.

It might just be this topic, but it's only the first topic we've done in Alevel. It's worrying because how am I already struggling in the first topic?? 😭 😭
I feel like it takes me a little while to get the hang of things so I do extra at home but it what if it's not enough, I can answer some of the exam questions it just others that weird me out!! I'll defo speak to my teacher though!! thanks I think i kind of overreacted these past few months
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 6
It might just be this topic, but it's only the first topic we've done in Alevel. It's worrying because how am I already struggling in the first topic?? 😭 😭
I feel like it takes me a little while to get the hang of things so I do extra at home but it what if it's not enough, I can answer some of the exam questions it just others that weird me out!! I'll defo speak to my teacher though!! thanks I think i kind of overreacted these past few months

Do ask your teacher when you are struggling - most are really glad when someone asks for help :smile:
Reply 7

I'm not too sure, I've been thinking of physics with medical physics and I also like the sound of Chemistry or Pharmacy, sometimes I think about engineering like robotics. But medicine looks like a fulfilling career too, however I heard that some unis don't ask for Bio for med school for example Manchester uni so if I really want to i guess that could be an option. I really don't know right now.

Does ur sixth form have the option of taking 4 A-levels ? If so, take both and once you’re a few months in, u can drop one of the subjects if u want, or even at the end of year 12. Or u can continue with both. That’s what they did at my sixth form.
Another thing is to maybe pick physics, and once u start ur alevels, stay a month or 2 in, and see whether u like it or not. U can then change to bio ( I’m saying this bc the first 1-2 months of lavel bio is the easiest thing ever if u put ur head into it, it gets much harder after that).I’m not sure about ur sixth form but u could change subjects in mine.
Another thing to consider : don’t stress urself too much imo, u can even change ur subject choices on results day ( as long as u have the grades they ask for)sooooo you’ll be fine :smile: hopefully you’ll have a clearer idea then
Reply 8
Does ur sixth form have the option of taking 4 A-levels ? If so, take both and once you’re a few months in, u can drop one of the subjects if u want, or even at the end of year 12. Or u can continue with both. That’s what they did at my sixth form.
Another thing is to maybe pick physics, and once u start ur alevels, stay a month or 2 in, and see whether u like it or not. U can then change to bio ( I’m saying this bc the first 1-2 months of lavel bio is the easiest thing ever if u put ur head into it, it gets much harder after that).I’m not sure about ur sixth form but u could change subjects in mine.
Another thing to consider : don’t stress urself too much imo, u can even change ur subject choices on results day ( as long as u have the grades they ask for)sooooo you’ll be fine :smile: hopefully you’ll have a clearer idea then

thank you sm thats a good idea :smile: I think i've been overthinking so much these past few months lol i'll ask my school
Reply 9

thank you sm thats a good idea :smile: I think i've been overthinking so much these past few months lol i'll ask my school

Good luck ! For now focus on revision and ur grades : ) everything should come more easily after

Quick Reply

Latest