The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You can take a written paper instead of the practical coursework module, i think. (I'm pretty sure that applies for OCR papers.) Check out the website.
Reply 2
Thanks
Reply 3
We're doing OCR and taking a practical exam (not a written exam) instead of coursework...
Reply 4
I know that with Edexcel Biology AS the compulsory coursework can be substituted with a paper if you are taking the exam as a private candidate.
Reply 5
Well I cant remember any Chemistry info from GCSE so I will be looking to do Biology, as I hated Physics.

Is Biology less regarded as people see it as "easier" than the other sciences and how is Human Biology regarded?
Reply 6
kirstinx

Is Biology less regarded as people see it as "easier" than the other sciences and how is Human Biology regarded?

Chemistry = Physics > Biology > Human Biology

:smile:

(IMHO)
Reply 7
Talya
Chemistry = Physics > Biology > Human Biology

I agree.

When compared to the other sciences it may be easier, but its still a respected subject nonetheless.
Reply 8
Malik
I agree.

When compared to the other sciences it may be easier, but its still a respected subject nonetheless.
It's easier in the sense that there are less difficult concepts to get your head around, but in terms of facts to remember and sheer workload, it is damned hard!
Heck no, I find chemistry a lot easier that Biology. There is a ton of information you need to revise and the modules just go on and on. The workload is huge - if you understand the concepts in chemistry once then that's fine.
DartsOfPleasure
Heck no, I find chemistry a lot easier that Biology. There is a ton of information you need to revise and the modules just go on and on. The workload is huge - if you understand the concepts in chemistry once then that's fine.

:ditto:

At A2 the essays and extended prose are a bit of a bugger. Although biology is tougher, in terms of more content, the grade boundaries for it are much lower than that of chemistry. For example this january you needed 38/60 for an A for unit 2b biology edexcel. Chemistry unit 2 was way higher, something like 46, I can't remember exactly.
Reply 11
I seem to recall that Environmental Science has no coursework at AS.
What are your plans? Missing labwork puts a big hole in your pre-university training - admissions tutors will spot it straight away.
Reply 13
ChemistBoy
What are your plans? Missing labwork puts a big hole in your pre-university training - admissions tutors will spot it straight away.
Looking at her other A level subjects, one would tend to think that she is not going to apply for a Science course.
Reply 14
FPS Doug
Looking at her other A level subjects, one would tend to think that she is not going to apply for a Science course.

I want to do Law I just enjoyed Biology during GCSE and wanted to add some variation to my A Levels.
Reply 15
kirstinx
I want to do Law I just enjoyed Biology during GCSE and wanted to add some variation to my A Levels.
Yeah. Law schools will probably like that, too.
No. Bloody hell why do you keep asking these questions?

For chemistry you can have a practical paper instead of c/w, true. But you need experience of practicals to be able to apply your knowledge.. you know they'll ask you to design and impliment a titration, how do you think about this clearly if you've never done a titration? Moreover self teaching yourself science is going to be hard work, and a test of concentration.
Reply 17
The sciences are the most respected subjects in the academic world I guess (Bio/Chem/Phy I mean), the only other thing I can think off is Maths.
stratomaster
No. Bloody hell why do you keep asking these questions?

lol :p:
kirstinx
Is there any science a levels which do not require laboratory experiments supervised for coursework etc. Ideally ones you can do via home study without going into a school to be supervised:smile:

Sports Science; social science etc.

Latest