The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
TheWolf
Im not sure how much everyone knows about all these different titles Doctor..etc.

Can everybody get a title, and how do you get it? Do you need to do a specific course and if you do e.g. economics, can you get a 'doctor' title?

:cool:

If you do a PhD, in any subject, you are entitled to call yourself Dr. Medics only have to do bachelors' degrees to get that honour though (MB BChir)
Reply 2
Helenia
If you do a PhD, in any subject, you are entitled to call yourself Dr. Medics only have to do bachelors' degrees to get that honour though (MB BChir)

ahh ok thanks! so lets say i do 3 years of economics and have finished the a ba economics, do i have a choice to do a phd course afterwards? :confused:
Reply 3
TheWolf
ahh ok thanks! so lets say i do 3 years of economics and have finished the a ba economics, do i have a choice to do a phd course afterwards? :confused:

Most good universities will run PhD courses, or you can switch unis.
Reply 4
TheWolf

A PHD isn't a course, it is research. You basicaly spend 3-5 years researching somthing in depth nobody else has done. Then the university can decide to pass it, you will get your phd.
Reply 5
amazingtrade
A PHD isn't a course, it is research. You basicaly spend 3-5 years researching somthing in depth nobody else has done. Then the university can decide to pass it, you will get your phd.

ahh ok didnt know this thanks, so it is 3 years of university + 3-5 years in research? wow
Reply 6
amazingtrade

Edit - but yes you can do a PHD after your degree if you get a 2:1.
Reply 7
amazingtrade

Question (and I know it's a stupid one): So a postgraduate degree has nothing to do with getting a PhD?...and as to postgraduate degrees - do they have to have anything to do with your first degree? If I go and study English now, could I still then do a postgraduate in another subject?....And if I do start another subject from scratch (say psychology or something), then where's the difference between a postgraduate thingy, and your first degree?
(I'm a bit clueless, I know)
:smile:
Reply 8
I believe that qualified surgeons revert to Mr.
Reply 9
amazingtrade
Edit - but yes you can do a PHD after your degree if you get a 2:1.

Yes, but recently this has become a relatively rare occurrence, as most funding bodies require Masters training courses (at least for Arts subject). However, at a lot of universities you get the cance to "upgrade" to a PhD if you do well in your Masters, or do a more structured doctoral programme (at least in certain subjects).
Reply 10
3 years after uni seems such a long time for a qualification that won't help you in the world of employment.
Just think, you'll be at least 24 when you leave!
My dad did a PhD and he prefers being called mr still.
Reply 11
A PhD is still a course it is a research course not a taught course you still have to pass it etc and get guidance.

You can do English and then do a taught masters in some other subjects - some places have a masters as a conversion.

FOr example I did english and am now doing a postgrad conversion in law, you can do comp sci conversion Msc at imperial but it is quite limited what you can change to.
Reply 12
Peapod
3 years after uni seems such a long time for a qualification that won't help you in the world of employment.
Just think, you'll be at least 24 when you leave!
My dad did a PhD and he prefers being called mr still.

If you have a PhD then you're almost guareented a resaearch job within the university if you pass it. Also if you get a masters you have a good chance of getting a teaching job within the university.

Virtualy all my lecturers are PhD holders that gradaute from my uni.
Reply 13
amazingtrade
If you have a PhD then you're almost guareented a resaearch job within the university if you pass it. Also if you get a masters you have a good chance of getting a teaching job within the university.

Virtualy all my lecturers are PhD holders that gradaute from my uni.

but if thsi isn't what yuo want to do it's not that much use in the world of employment as employers want skills and team workers - not people who have been doing solitary research.
Reply 14
Bigcnee
I believe that qualified surgeons revert to Mr.

Why is that?
Reply 15
Peapod
but if thsi isn't what yuo want to do it's not that much use in the world of employment as employers want skills and team workers - not people who have been doing solitary research.

Well you could become a researcher for a company. But if you don't want a research job then its highly likely you wouldn't want to a PhD in the first place.
Reply 16
Also, at the moment a lot of them get stuck doing crappy one-year contracts (sometimes not even getting paid over the summer vacations) with absolutely no job security and very, very low payment (compared to the amount of money they have spent on getting a PhD).
Reply 17
Bitewing
Why is that?

Don't know. Tradition?
Reply 18
On the "Mr" for surgeons bit: Surgery always used to be done by barbers, who were not medically trained and therefore could not call themselves Dr. This has just stuck.
Reply 19
alocin
On the "Mr" for surgeons bit: Surgery always used to be done by barbers, who were not medically trained and therefore could not call themselves Dr. This has just stuck.

Barbers, as in people who cut hair!?! That sounds a bit alarming.

Latest

Trending

Trending