The Student Room Group

Ninja Overcomes Gravity!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by silent ninja
No unfortunately :frown: we carry fat in different ways. For many people the belly and lovehandles come last. You can be fit and still carry fat. Best thing it to work those muscles (your whole body) to tighten things up, then you'll look better as the fat comes down. Else you tend to lose fat as well as muscle and end up looking a bit crap.

I officially give up on pullups. They don't progress. Just doing some sets now.

Noticed my left lat is much bigger than my right. I think it's cos I have zero mind muscle connection to my left trap. I absolutely can't activate it!!! If I tense my right lat fully then it's inevitable the trap contracts too. Not so on my left. What to do?? I guess I have to switch off traps helping in pullups. How the heck am I supposed to do that...

Editted third pic above. It's the nearest thing I took to a leg shot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.facebook.com/notes/ido-portal/strength-tip-number-3-the-perfect-pull-up/241012849274036
Reply 462
No unfortunately :frown: we carry fat in different ways. For many people the belly and lovehandles come last. You can be fit and still carry fat. Best thing it to work those muscles (your whole body) to tighten things up, then you'll look better as the fat comes down. Else you tend to lose fat as well as muscle and end up looking a bit crap.

I officially give up on pullups. They don't progress. Just doing some sets now.

Noticed my left lat is much bigger than my right. I think it's cos I have zero mind muscle connection to my left trap. I absolutely can't activate it!!! If I tense my right lat fully then it's inevitable the trap contracts too. Not so on my left. What to do?? I guess I have to switch off traps helping in pullups. How the heck am I supposed to do that...

Editted third pic above. It's the nearest thing I took to a leg shot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Master ninja, what do you think is the main contributor of your popping hard abs? Mind sharing to your pupils? :ninja:
Reply 463
Some update pics!

Just under 10 months since I hit the gym now. ~2.5kg lighter compared to my last pics in November. 73.0kg last weigh in 2 days ago, 5'9.5 obviously.

I have some shoulders now which is nice. Traps are lacking perhaps. The natural lighting kills off any definition of the bottom of my chest, think it looks better in real life, but overhead lighting adds too much shadow and my camera is rubbish anyway. Abs aren't that great either, obliques need work. Overall, happy I guess. Not bad whilst losing weight.
Oh, and not much leg pics because i've only started squatting again in the 5 odd weeks so my legs aren't looking massively different. You can see my quads though.

Thoughts, opinions overall?? :colondollar:
What do ya reckon my body fat percentage is now?

I think my fat loss goals have been reached. I've lost about 11kg in total. Not sure what I'll do from here. I don't think I want to lose any more weight but I don't want to start bulking either as clothes fit fantastically well and my physique isn't too bulky for football etc

peng tings
You could eat slightly above maintenance and try and lean bulk if you don't want to gain/lose any weight. Or just bulk really slowly and cut really slowly so that it's not much effort.

... brb eating.
Original post by tooosh
peng tings
You could eat slightly above maintenance and try and lean bulk if you don't want to gain/lose any weight. Or just bulk really slowly and cut really slowly so that it's not much effort.

... brb eating.

Lol
Gonna maintain for now and see what happens. I think I'd like to add 2-3 kilos of muscle.

Original post by kka25
Master ninja, what do you think is the main contributor of your popping hard abs? Mind sharing to your pupils? :ninja:

I'm flattered, but I don't have good abs. They'll only come out with low body fat which means you gotta commit to it long term. It doesn't mean you have to watch every calorie and only eat celery every day, but you do need to control how much you eat. I haven't dropped any foods myself (except milk and cut down on dairy, but this is cos it gives me acne). I've eaten crisps and a caramel custard donut today and am about to eat a greasy curry with rice, which I have every day, and it's frankly not that different to fast food. So it's not so much what you eat but how much. Don't forget your veggies to get your micronutrients and fibre.
One arm pushup, low chair 4 5 5 5
Ring dips 5 7 8
Inverted ring rows 9 12 10 11
Band pulls
Ab wheel (knees) 10 10 9 8
Kettlebell swings, 1 min rest 16kg 6x30

Thanks to TooEasy's link, I realised I was letting my shoulders shrug in almost everything. You need reminders!! There's little difference between pullups and pushups/benching in terms of the shoulders and scapular. These one arm pushups were beautiful and tight, shoulders back and down. Good quality reps. I'm happy. They felt like heavy bench sets i.e. they were bloody tiring.
Dips felt a lot easier than normal. I could've squeezed out 9 on the last set so my pb will be in to double digits. I haven't done heavy weighted dips or ring dips in weeks so i'm surprised they've gone up. Abs were tired, not many reps done but they were slow.

I'm going gym tomorrow then going away until Wednesday so i need to hit everything tomorrow. It's been a pretty bad week. Apart from a set of pullups, I've not trained since last Saturday. Looking forward to triceps. I love training triceps lately.

Posted from TSR Mobile
73.2kg weigh-in

All good.
Been lazing about and getting some torrents on the go to watch later. Also updated my signature on TSR with an old favourite, since I had nothing better to do lol Going gym now. Toodles
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm liking the iron man vs bruce lee video, never seen that before lol
Original post by areebmazhar
I'm liking the iron man vs bruce lee video, never seen that before lol

He's got some great videos. Very talented. I like the Ninja unboxings, like the Google nexus. They're cool!

Squats 110kg 4 3, 105kg 5
OHP 47.5kg 3 40kg 6 5 35kg 7
Incline bench (light) 40kg 3x8
Tricep DB ext 35kg 8 7 7
Preacher curls (straight bar) 22.5kg 7 7 6
Cable curls/pulldowns and 25kg plate shrugs supersetted
Lateral raises

Squat pb. No back rounding. My weakest link in the chain is my adductors. They feel so tight. How do you stretch them? These were the only heavy lifts of the day.
Shoulders were fried from yesterday. Even 40kg was a struggle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 469
My weakest link in the chain is my adductors. They feel so tight. How do you stretch them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sit on the floor, put the soles of your feet together, knees out so your legs are in a diamond shape. Pull your feet in and push your thighs down. Like this: a_Hip_adductor_stretch_II_b.jpg
those black things on his elbows are downwards arrows
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by BKS
Sit on the floor, put the soles of your feet together, knees out so your legs are in a diamond shape. Pull your feet in and push your thighs down. Like this: a_Hip_adductor_stretch_II_b.jpg
those black things on his elbows are downwards arrows

Thanks. I've actually been doing these but they're not quite hitting the spot. I'll tinker.
Reply 471
Thanks. I've actually been doing these but they're not quite hitting the spot. I'll tinker.

It's the only stretch I know for them and have ever done so yeah, maybe you're not doing it quite right. Or if in doubt foam roll is generally a good logic

That looks wonderful.
I was making up my own stretch: one knee on the ground slightly outward, the the other leg out. So it's like a lunge but wider, then rotating and pushing my belly button toward the front leg knee etc. It gave me that stretch on the groin and adductor area. This stretch looks like that but much better. Will definitely try :yy:
Reply 474
That looks wonderful.
I was making up my own stretch: one knee on the ground slightly outward, the the other leg out. So it's like a lunge but wider, then rotating and pushing my belly button toward the front leg knee etc. It gave me that stretch on the groin and adductor area. This stretch looks like that but much better. Will definitely try :yy:

Mobilitywod already came up with that one too :rolleyes:
Original post by tooosh
Mobilitywod already came up with that one too :rolleyes:

Wtf that's a real stretch?! I've subscribed to them now. I'll definitely check out some videos.
Reply 476
Wtf that's a real stretch?! I've subscribed to them now. I'll definitely check out some videos.

Yeah sort of a lunge with your knee on the floor. Say it was your left knee up, you push your left knee out and your torso down and right.
Original post by tooosh
Yeah sort of a lunge with your knee on the floor. Say it was your left knee up, you push your left knee out and your torso down and right.

I'm gonna look for that video. I've been doing that but if it's an actual stretch then I'm sure I'm not doing it competently. Feels good though.

Don't know where you guys get the most tension in your muscles after squats? For me it's around the knee: the bottom of the quad, the inside of the thigh near the knee. Feels amazing after rolling, a lot like rolling the IT band after running. Then it's the top of the quads a few inches below the hip flexors. That's kinda painful. Hamstrings feel it all over but foam rolling doesn't seem to help (probably because they're used to being sat on) so I just do good old stretching. Lately I've been getting a little soreness in my ankles after squatting too, not too dissimilar to the day after footie.

So anyway, I think foam rolling gives you a great idea of where you're stressing your body on a particular lift/exercise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 478
I'm gonna look for that video. I've been doing that but if it's an actual stretch then I'm sure I'm not doing it competently. Feels good though.

Don't know where you guys get the most tension in your muscles after squats? For me it's around the knee: the bottom of the quad, the inside of the thigh near the knee. Feels amazing after rolling, a lot like rolling the IT band after running. Then it's the top of the quads a few inches below the hip flexors. That's kinda painful. Hamstrings feel it all over but foam rolling doesn't seem to help (probably because they're used to being sat on) so I just do good old stretching. Lately I've been getting a little soreness in my ankles after squatting too, not too dissimilar to the day after footie.

So anyway, I think foam rolling gives you a great idea of where you're stressing your body on a particular lift/exercise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/01/episode-363-pre-squat-hip-opener-mob-rx.html if you spend 30seconds in each position it turns into a proper static stretch from a pre-squat hip opener.

I get it just above my knee and my glutes. Tbh I don't really get doms anymore unless I take time off, just general stiffness sometimes.
For adductors have you tried that standard football stretch? Seems to hit the spot very well for me and it's nice and basic..
images.jpeg

Quick Reply

Latest