The Student Room Group
two_headed_monk
i was just thinking, im considering wether or not to take a gap year... if i do, ill have loads of fun, but ill have to pay bucketloads to go to university, cos of the top-up fees, but if i dont go, ill be thoroughly annoyed. it will be bad. my parents have said that they wil lonly help me out with money if i go straight into uni, so if i decide to take a year out, i go it alone. what do you reckon i could do?

what are you thinking of doing in your gap year?
working, travelling, seeing my girlfriend... basically an entire year of fun before i start 40 years of work.
two_headed_monk
working, travelling, seeing my girlfriend... basically an entire year of fun before i start 40 years of work.

if you are prepared to be saddled with more debt then go for it- you won't have to start paying it all back until you start earning anyway... you will get a separate loan to cover the extra tuition fees i think so it won't actually cost you more until you get a job...but you don't have to pay that much back each month....if you are gonna use the year constructively and not just doss around but get some worldly experience and a bit of dosh then thats great!!!
no, i cant stand dossing around, ill always be doing something, and i think that im just gonna go for the debt. itll add some more flavor to my life.......
two_headed_monk
no, i cant stand dossing around, ill always be doing something, and i think that im just gonna go for the debt. itll add some more flavor to my life.......

lol... it'll give u something to tell the grandchildren!!
Reply 6
two_headed_monk
i was just thinking, im considering wether or not to take a gap year... if i do, ill have loads of fun, but ill have to pay bucketloads to go to university, cos of the top-up fees, but if i dont go, ill be thoroughly annoyed. it will be bad. my parents have said that they wil lonly help me out with money if i go straight into uni, so if i decide to take a year out, i go it alone. what do you reckon i could do?

Why not keep everybody happy?

Go to uni now to take advantage of yor parent's generosity. Then take a year off after you graduate. Christ it's only 3 more years work (and I use "work" in the the most flexible way imaginable)
yeah, but i want a break from education. its getting boooring!
Reply 8
i think that you should do what you feel you want to do but you need to consider the cost of taking a gap year you are not just going tom live on nothing and the money you do get you may have to ration.
me personly would not take a gap year because it is very hard to get back into education after a gap year
do what you want to do but think about it carefully
Reply 9
two_headed_monk
yeah, but i want a break from education. its getting boooring!

You could try a summer gap. There are some projects that let you do a, say, five week project abroad during the summer. It would definatly give you a break from schoolwork. I couldn't just take a year off to sit around or do part time work. After about three months I would be bored stiff.
hmmmmm, i need to find out more about this summer gap thing....
Hi,
I am in exactly the same boat as you are. if i do take a gap year i have to pay top up fees, but if i don't i wont. I considered not having a gap year to save on money - then though f*** it why not - i will feel like i have missed out otherwise.

I plan to try and fundraise for my gap year so i dont have to pay for that with my own dosh.

Its a bit of a desicion, but in the end i have to have a gap year to get away from it all.
Reply 12
two_headed_monk

erm...the massive £6000 pounds more extra debt over three years *gasp* and you have to pay off your debt at a EVEN SMALLER percentage of earnings that the current student loan *shock*
Reply 13
two_headed_monk

uni is 3 years of fun (well it has been so far) :biggrin:
two_headed_monk

last time tuition fees got hiked up people who deferred for a year were exempt for the first year. The reason theu gave for this was that they saw a reasonable and constructive use of time....If people pressure the government this time as well it could be the same as last time.
Reply 15
two_headed_monk

I can't wait for my gapyear! So many things I want to do, although they are all so expensive :frown:. Would need like £5000 realistically to do what I want to do :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending