Turn on thread page Beta

I wanna gap year watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i was just thinking, im considering wether or not to take a gap year... if i do, ill have loads of fun, but ill have to pay bucketloads to go to university, cos of the top-up fees, but if i dont go, ill be thoroughly annoyed. it will be bad. my parents have said that they wil lonly help me out with money if i go straight into uni, so if i decide to take a year out, i go it alone. what do you reckon i could do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by two_headed_monk)
    i was just thinking, im considering wether or not to take a gap year... if i do, ill have loads of fun, but ill have to pay bucketloads to go to university, cos of the top-up fees, but if i dont go, ill be thoroughly annoyed. it will be bad. my parents have said that they wil lonly help me out with money if i go straight into uni, so if i decide to take a year out, i go it alone. what do you reckon i could do?

what are you thinking of doing in your gap year?

ReputationRep:
    working, travelling, seeing my girlfriend... basically an entire year of fun before i start 40 years of work.

ReputationRep:
    working, travelling, seeing my girlfriend... basically an entire year of fun before i start 40 years of work.
    if you are prepared to be saddled with more debt then go for it- you won't have to start paying it all back until you start earning anyway... you will get a separate loan to cover the extra tuition fees i think so it won't actually cost you more until you get a job...but you don't have to pay that much back each month....if you are gonna use the year constructively and not just doss around but get some worldly experience and a bit of dosh then thats great!!!

ReputationRep:
    no, i cant stand dossing around, ill always be doing something, and i think that im just gonna go for the debt. itll add some more flavor to my life.......

ReputationRep:
    no, i cant stand dossing around, ill always be doing something, and i think that im just gonna go for the debt. itll add some more flavor to my life.......

lol... it'll give u something to tell the grandchildren!!

ReputationRep:
    Why not keep everybody happy?

Go to uni now to take advantage of yor parent's generosity. Then take a year off after you graduate. Christ it's only 3 more years work (and I use "work" in the the most flexible way imaginable)

ReputationRep:
    yeah, but i want a break from education. its getting boooring!

ReputationRep:
    i think that you should do what you feel you want to do but you need to consider the cost of taking a gap year you are not just going tom live on nothing and the money you do get you may have to ration.
    me personly would not take a gap year because it is very hard to get back into education after a gap year
    do what you want to do but think about it carefully

ReputationRep:
    yeah, but i want a break from education. its getting boooring!
    You could try a summer gap. There are some projects that let you do a, say, five week project abroad during the summer. It would definatly give you a break from schoolwork. I couldn't just take a year off to sit around or do part time work. After about three months I would be bored stiff.

ReputationRep:
    hmmmmm, i need to find out more about this summer gap thing....

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am in exactly the same boat as you are. if i do take a gap year i have to pay top up fees, but if i don't i wont. I considered not having a gap year to save on money - then though f*** it why not - i will feel like i have missed out otherwise.

I plan to try and fundraise for my gap year so i dont have to pay for that with my own dosh.

Its a bit of a desicion, but in the end i have to have a gap year to get away from it all.

ReputationRep:
    erm...the massive £6000 pounds more extra debt over three years *gasp* and you have to pay off your debt at a EVEN SMALLER percentage of earnings that the current student loan *shock*

ReputationRep:
    uni is 3 years of fun (well it has been so far)

ReputationRep:
    last time tuition fees got hiked up people who deferred for a year were exempt for the first year. The reason theu gave for this was that they saw a reasonable and constructive use of time....If people pressure the government this time as well it could be the same as last time.

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait for my gapyear! So many things I want to do, although they are all so expensive . Would need like £5000 realistically to do what I want to do

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.