The Student Room Group

What is a "good first"?

What percentage is considered a good first class degree classification in social sciences?

Minimum first is 70%.
Reply 1
Original post by Reference Needed
What percentage is considered a good first class degree classification in social sciences?

Minimum first is 70%.

"good first" measured by who?

The university or any one else?

Probably 75%+
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
A first is a first it should be good enough already
Reply 3
Original post by chikane

This.

Getting a First itself is hard; don't make it harder by labeling with unnecessary labels.
A first is a first, I suppose a "good" first is where you're well into it and not on the borderline, say 75%
Original post by kka25
Original post by chikane

This.

Getting a First itself is hard; don't make it harder by labeling with unnecessary labels.

This.
I imagine you read on a job advert or something that stated that applicants require "a good first degree."

That doesn't mean you need to get a first, it just means that you need a 2.1 minimum in your first degree qualification. There's no such thing as a "good first." All 1sts are good.
Reply 7
Original post by + polarity -
x

Original post by DirtyRotten
x

I want sharp scales and super powers too :frown:
Reply 8
If a job asks for a good first, they can only mean a first (>70%), since very few employers would ever care about individual grades or percentages.

If you're looking at a PhD, then a good first probably means >75%, but in some divisions can mean >80%. I know for PhDs in theoretical physics at Manchester, they tend not to really look at candidates below 80%. However for PhDs the individual module grades matter more.
Original post by DirtyRotten
I imagine you read on a job advert or something that stated that applicants require "a good first degree."

That doesn't mean you need to get a first, it just means that you need a 2.1 minimum in your first degree qualification. There's no such thing as a "good first." All 1sts are good.

safe
Reply 10
Original post by zeropoint

If you're looking at a PhD, then a good first probably means >75%, but in some divisions can mean >80%. I know for PhDs in theoretical physics at Manchester, they tend not to really look at candidates below 80%. However for PhDs the individual module grades matter more.

What individual modules?
Original post by kka25
What individual modules?

It depends on the PhD. If you apply to a PhD in organic chemsitry (for example), then they will care much more about your mark on your organic chemistry exam, than your mark on your inorganic chemistry exam, or your quantum exam.
Reply 12
It depends on the PhD. If you apply to a PhD in organic chemsitry (for example), then they will care much more about your mark on your organic chemistry exam, than your mark on your inorganic chemistry exam, or your quantum exam.

Are you talking from experience or is this something you heard of or a policy from your current Uni or other Unis?
Original post by kka25
Are you talking from experience or is this something you heard of or a policy from your current Uni or other Unis?

Experience of applying to PhDs, and talking to the lecturers I am applying to. The impression I was given is that this general rule is applied by most PhD schemes to some level or another.

If you're applying to do a PhD in a very niche thing, then your potential supervisor will look very closely at your exam marks for that very niche thing.
a first is a first, the percentage isn't put on your certificate (as far as I know) so it doesn't matter.
Reply 15
Experience of applying to PhDs, and talking to the lecturers I am applying to. The impression I was given is that this general rule is applied by most PhD schemes to some level or another.

If you're applying to do a PhD in a very niche thing, then your potential supervisor will look very closely at your exam marks for that very niche thing.

Hurm... I didn't get that impression; but they did ask my abilities on certain topics and skills.

And I wasn't worried as well because I aced the particular module I was interested in hehe :tongue:
Original post by kka25
Hurm... I didn't get that impression; but they did ask my abilities on certain topics and skills.

And I wasn't worried as well because I aced the particular module I was interested in hehe :tongue:

Well done you. I have a friend who got an interview from hell, he applied to theoretical physics, and they asked him basic dynamics like a ball on a gradient, stuff he hadn't touched in years. Poor guy.

They will have looked at your marks transcript, and then decided to interview you.
Reply 17
Well done you. I have a friend who got an interview from hell, he applied to theoretical physics, and they asked him basic dynamics like a ball on a gradient, stuff he hadn't touched in years. Poor guy.

They will have looked at your marks transcript, and then decided to interview you.

Thank you.
You should have seen some of the questions they asked me during the interview process; "The term... ". "If we... ". "What's your opinion... " All that stuff lol.

During the progress presentation, they asked me soo many technical questions that I was drained for days! I didn't even get to finish the presentation : /

Yeah; I think they did. My supervisor wouldn't just take my word when I first met them. They probably skimmed through the transcript, reference letters and then decided to offer me an interview after looking at it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending