The Student Room Group

Subjects.. too muddled?

Hiya guys, well i've recently started looking closely into Uni's (i'm currently in first year of college) and i'm starting to worry that the subjects i do will be rather unsuitable if i wanted to do Business Management studies in a relatively good uni (in the top 10 list).

I currently do Business Studies, Psychology, ICT, Photography & Critical Thinking, being predicted AAAAB. I know that these subjects would very unlikely get me into the very highly regarded uni's i.e. Oxbridge but are there any suggestions as to what i could do to improve my chances of getting into a well respected uni?

I was thinking of dropping ICT/CRT in favour of AS Maths or English.. but not too sure if it's a good idea and if it would be any help as i will only be doing it to AS level.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated, thanks alot!:cool:
Reply 1
starangel
Hiya guys, well i've recently started looking closely into Uni's (i'm currently in first year of college) and i'm starting to worry that the subjects i do will be rather unsuitable if i wanted to do Business Management studies in a relatively good uni (in the top 10 list).

I currently do Business Studies, Psychology, ICT, Photography & Critical Thinking, being predicted AAAAB. I know that these subjects would very unlikely get me into the very highly regarded uni's i.e. Oxbridge but are there any suggestions as to what i could do to improve my chances of getting into a well respected uni?

I was thinking of dropping ICT/CRT in favour of AS Maths or English.. but not too sure if it's a good idea and if it would be any help as i will only be doing it to AS level.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated, thanks alot!:cool:

Hmmm, I dunno, I reckon ICT is better than Photography in my opinion.
You should drop Photography, without question. ICT is a lot more relevant. I would also recommend you to drop Critical Thinking, definitely take up AS Maths and emphasise on your personal statement why you are taking it up, e.g. to improve your numerical skills to benefit you in the in the future. Unis will favour you a LOT more for taking this AS, even though you won't be completing it to A2 Level. You could definitely apply to the top unis with that combination, but LSE are likely to dislike Business Studies and ICT, whereas the other unis shouldn't mind. So you might want to consider *not* applying there as it could be a waste of a slot on your UCAS form. It's entirely up to you, though. Perhaps if your GCSEs are strong enough they would consider you.

Hope I have helped :smile:
Reply 3
Oh okay thanks guys ^^ Re-assured me abit, was getting worried that my chances of going to a good uni was very small.

the_mars_volta, yeah i heard about LSE being quite rigid on your subjects combinations so i might not apply there, thanks alot for the input :smile:

Anymore suggestions are recommended =)
i'd go with ICT as well.

subjects dont matter too much, I did Business, English Language and Psychology at A level...

as long as you do 'good' A Levels (ie not media, fashion etc) you should be ok.

id also echo the do "as maths" suggestion...wish id tortured myself into doing it (my maths skills are awful) as we do hard maths on our course, and it would have been very helpful to do AS maths instead of just GCSE.
Reply 5
Yeh ICT without doubt. There's more and more ICT in business now, you need to be seriously ICT literate and it's considered a more relevant subject by Unis.

Latest

Trending

Trending