The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Made in the USA
I'm speaking for myself, not speaking on behalf of America. Calm down, take a deep breath, and maybe try switching to decaffeinated coffee? :smile:

I'm only judging a country by the actions of its citizens. The same logic you employ whil judging religion.
Made in the USA
So now I deserve to get bombed? I'm only judging the religion by the actions of its followers. Today, in the year 2006, the most devout followers of islam are a lot more prone to violence than our religious right. Only a fool would argue otherwise.

The fundamentalist Christians are annoying as hell and sometimes try to convince you to "save yourself", but they are totally harmless. People in Europe like to paint evangelical Christians and followers of radical Islam with the same brush, but it's like comparing apples and oranges.

I'm a fool then. I want to know how many violent incidents involving Islamic followers have taken place in the US.

Now lets contemplate for a second. What do you think... will the evil Muslims be victims or perpetrators of the majority of these violent incidents. I can only speculate...

And how many people have been killed in America in 2006 by Islamic extremists? How many innocent Iraqis have been killed in iraq by american soldiers? I suspect the latter will far outweigh the former.

And you really think Islamic extremists are more of a problem in your country than right wing christians? Hmmm lets see we could probable fit the number of Islamic extremists into a football field, but the entire state of Texas is jam packed with right wing christians who elect an animated penis as their president...get your priorities straight you arrogant American halfwit.
I can't believe there has been such a hullabaloo over 2 words I said from several posts back. Hopefully this is going to be my last post on this issue because it has little to do with anti-Americanism and just further hijacks the thread.

Supersonic
I'm a fool then. I want to know how many violent incidents involving Islamic followers have taken place in the US.

um......The attack on the world trade center and pentagon on september 11th?

Supersonic
Now lets contemplate for a second. What do you think... will the evil Muslims be victims or perpetrators of the majority of these violent incidents. I can only speculate...

Perpetrators

Supersonic
And you really think Islamic extremists are more of a problem in your country than right wing christians? Hmmm lets see we could probable fit the number of Islamic extremists into a football field, but the entire state of Texas is jam packed with right wing christians who elect an animated penis as their president...get your priorities straight you arrogant American halfwit.

Muslims only make up less than 2% of the population and evangelical christians probably make up 10-15 times that percentage. It isn't only very religious people who are voting for Bush. I voted for him, and the walls of a church would literally crumble if I walked inside! Kerry was a terrible candidate and most democrats will be the first to tell you that.
I'd rather be DIVERSE and have a blend of culture then try and preserve one type...didnt the british try that whole assimilation thing before :rolleyes: Doesnt work...so why should a country be forced to adopt one culture. When I was in England there definetly was an anti-american sentiment..which is sad, but some people explained to me its because of our politics and the fact that Blair is our poodle basically. But that doesnt mean you like go all postal on every ****ing american. I also found other issues plaguing the UK that america has but we address much more frequently than they do--racism. Im telling ya, its gonna be another france if the UK doesnt address its racist issues...not saying america is one to talk but at least the problems with it are voiced more so here (NAACP, etc.) like minorities here seem to have more a voice...what exactly is an equivelant organization over there?
keenya2006
When I was in England there definetly was an anti-american sentiment..which is sad, but some people explained to me its because of our politics and the fact that Blair is our poodle basically.

The poodle thing is a symptom of a bigger problem, not the cause of the problem. We don't really have that kind of expression in the US, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you aren't paying someone a compliment by calling them someone else's poodle.

If I close my eyes and imagine Bush as Blair's poodle, it doesn't bother me. Why? Because I like Blair and don't dislike Britain. If I imagine Bush as Chirac's poodle, I feel nauseous and I practically have to run to the toilet and throw up. The reason for this is because most Americans don't like French people, the French government, or France in general. The nauseous feeling I get is a result of having an anti-French bias, not from seeing my president as a poodle.

During the republican convention, I knew Bush was going to win when I heard this quote from Zell Miller:

"Kerry would let Paris decide when America needs defending. I want Bush to decide."

As soon as Kerry was labeled France's bitch, I pretty much knew the election was over.
Reply 365
Supersonic

And how many people have been killed in America in 2006 by Islamic extremists? How many innocent Iraqis have been killed in iraq by american soldiers? I suspect the latter will far outweigh the former.

The envy glows through.
Vienna
Funny, but a hoax.

prove it.
i watch ALOT of candid camera type things, and that looks like the real deal to me. sure they were deliberately tricking the people. and sure I'll be 99% of the people they interviewed took one look at the label s on their map and said 'are you taking the mick?'
but that makes it unscientific, not a hoax.
Rusty33
The envy glows through.

ah, dumber has returned.

incidently the reason why most europeans would have an 'aneursm' (by that read laugh in shock) at the sign of a 'honk if you love jesus' bumper sticker is probably more out of amazement that one's faith in the almighty can be brought down to such a crude, trashy level.
at a guess.
Made in the USA
The fundamentalist christians are annoying as hell and sometimes try to convince you to "save yourself", but they are totally harmless. People in Europe like to paint evangelical Christians and followers of radical Islam with the same brush, but it's like comparing apples and oranges.

surely evangelical and fundamentalist are different?

besides, i always find that peoples idea of what makes a 'fundamentalist christian' vs 'fundamentalist muslim' are very different.fundamentalist is quite a relative term. so you always are going to have problems comparing two groups with totally different ideologies.
Rusty33
The envy glows through.

Are you serious? If you are. This is why people hate americans. You think you are the envy of the world. The worlds greatest country ad all our saaviours. Clearly the entire world like every single country being anti-american hasn't convinced you otherwise. So one person certainly isn't. Keep swaggering around the world feeling content in the fact that you are the greatest democracy in the world. And i'll stay here in the uk and laugh content in the knowledge that you will all continue to shoot each other. And anger even more islamic extremists hence drawing the attacks away from us and straight into you front yard. Go USA!!!!
Supersonic
And anger even more islamic extremists hence drawing the attacks away from us and straight into you front yard. Go USA!!!!

I really doubt any attacks will be drawn away from anyone. The enemy is "the west" and the recent cartoon fiasco proves it. Countries that had absolutely nothing to do with the matter still had to deal with protests.
Reply 371
Supersonic
Are you serious? If you are. This is why people hate americans. You think you are the envy of the world. The worlds greatest country ad all our saaviours. Clearly the entire world like every single country being anti-american hasn't convinced you otherwise. So one person certainly isn't. Keep swaggering around the world feeling content in the fact that you are the greatest democracy in the world. And i'll stay here in the uk and laugh content in the knowledge that you will all continue to shoot each other. And anger even more islamic extremists hence drawing the attacks away from us and straight into you front yard. Go USA!!!!

Riiiiight. Last time I checked, I didn't shoot anyone, nor have I been shot at.

"Clearly the entire world like every single country being anti-American hasn't convinced you otherwise."
If anything that reinforces the notion that America is "at the top," although, I don't personally don't look at it that way. I can't remember the last time I saw an Anti-Egyptian thread? Everyone guns for the top dog. So, by logic, if everyone is gunning for the United States, then the United States would be the top dog.

Yeah, we anger more extremist. So, the reason X amount of trains blew up in the London subway system within a few minutes of one another was due to London being an American city? Get a grip. Everyone want to climb the ladder, and the UK is right along side the US at the top. You say you'll sit back and watch as if you aren't in the mix? It seems that you are the delusional one, not me.
Reply 372
Robot Chicken
ah, dumber has returned.

incidently the reason why most europeans would have an 'aneursm' (by that read laugh in shock) at the sign of a 'honk if you love jesus' bumper sticker is probably more out of amazement that one's faith in the almighty can be brought down to such a crude, trashy level.
at a guess.

Are you suggesting that the United Kingdom doesn't have a class distinction? That's an awfully bold statement. And, the blatant wish of disassociation that most people in the United Kingdom have with the United States, idiots such as yourself, is laughable. What platform does your computer run on? What platform do these forums run on? What company made the servers. Face it: The United States, it's products, and it's culture or "lack there of" are an integral part of your everyday life, and yet you ignorantly try to play it off. Smell the roses.
Reply 373
Rusty33
Are you suggesting that the United Kingdom doesn't have a class distinction? That's an awfully bold statement. And, the blatant wish of disassociation that most people in the United Kingdom have with the United States, idiots such as yourself, is laughable. What platform does your computer run on? What platform do these forums run on? What company made the servers. Face it: The United States, it's products, and it's culture or "lack there of" are an integral part of your everyday life, and yet you ignorantly try to play it off. Smell the roses.

incidentally:

First programmable computer design - Charles Babbage
Inventor of the web - Tim Berners-Lee at CERN

Both British.
Reply 374
Lawz-
incidentally:

First programmable computer design - Charles Babbage
Inventor of the web - Tim Berners-Lee at CERN

Both British.

No one said the United States was responsible for every technological advancement in the last 100 years. But, denying it's importance or integration into everyday European life is absurd.
Rusty33
Riiiiight. Last time I checked, I didn't shoot anyone, nor have I been shot at.

"Clearly the entire world like every single country being anti-American hasn't convinced you otherwise."
If anything that reinforces the notion that America is "at the top," although, I don't personally don't look at it that way. I can't remember the last time I saw an Anti-Egyptian thread? Everyone guns for the top dog. So, by logic, if everyone is gunning for the United States, then the United States would be the top dog.

Yeah, we anger more extremist. So, the reason X amount of trains blew up in the London subway system within a few minutes of one another was due to London being an American city? Get a grip. Everyone want to climb the ladder, and the UK is right along side the US at the top. You say you'll sit back and watch as if you aren't in the mix? It seems that you are the delusional one, not me.

top of what?
its not the worlds most desirable place to live
its not the place with highest living standards.
its not the place with best social support
its not the place with largest GDP per capita
And its only going to have largest GDP total for ~ 6 more years.
Its not the place with lowest crime
Nor the safest place.
It is however the place with largest military spending.

I don't doubt its probably a great place to be. but you can't objectively say in any way it is the 'best place on earth' or anything of the kind. by all tested methods it isn't. Its simply like the fat kid that was top dog in primary school.
but sooner or later the other kids hit puberty, and wham, dominance is lost...
Reply 376
Robot Chicken
And its only going to have largest GDP total for ~ 6 more years.

Where did you get that from?
Robot Chicken
ah, dumber has returned.

at a guess.

I suppose that could be one of the reasons, but I think it's more complicated than that. A lot of people think of these people as being intolerant. I used to dislike evangelicals until one day I woke up and realized that I was the one being intolerant-intolerant of them.
People who hate them should look inward, do a little soul searching, and ask themselves why. I became good friends with one of them and these are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.
I dated a girl who lived in a place with lots of born again christians and during the middle of our date, while sitting at the dinner table, I realized I had left my laptop behind. "These are religious people and they don't steal, so don't worry" she told me. Sure enough, when we got back, no one had touched my 3000 dollar new laptop, despite it being in plain view. If more people shared those values, I think the world would be a better place.
Reply 378
Made in the USA
I suppose that could be one of the reasons, but I think it's more complicated than that. A lot of people think of these people as being intolerant. I used to dislike evangelicals until one day I woke up and realized that I was the one being intolerant-intolerant of them.
People that hate them should look inward, do a little soul searching, and ask themselves why. I became good friends with one of them and these are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.
I dated a girl who lived in a place with lots of born again christians and during the middle of our date, while sitting at the dinner table, I realized I had left my laptop behind. "These are religious people and they don't steal, so don't worry" she told me. Sure enough, when we got back, no one had touched my 3000 dollar new laptop, despite it being in plain view. If more people shared those values, I think the world would be a better place.

Intolerance of intolerance is hardly intolerance in a meaningful sense.
Lawz-
Where did you get that from?

sorry it was an exageration. its more like 10 years. can't remember where i read it. but its the widely accepted view in economic circles i think. except for the rusty-type uber-patriots who deny it'll ever happen.

Latest

Trending

Trending