The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Supersonic
What is so extreme about my opinions. I believe the US shouldn't invade countries, kill innocents and create social hysteria to impose their idealogy on a culture which they seem to neither understond or respect.

I beleive they need to address their own social problems before they preach to the rest of the world how to live.

I believe that capitalism is a flawed system and is designed to create inequality and will always result in a rigid society which opposes any flow between the social classes. However, i don't have a better solution so can't complain too much.

Nothing extreme there...only sense and logic.

Capitalism isn't really an ideology, it is a product of civilisation. The market is something we've always had and we will always have into the future.

It was not 'designed', it has merely evolved over time, and it is ineffective because it suffers too much Government intervention. The very reason capitalism isn't working right now is because we don't really have a free market- something which I believe should be a basic human right; to be part of a free and liberalised marketplace.

And I can absolutely guarantee you that being a warmonger is definitely NOT a prerequisite for being a capitalist. War goes against anything a true 'capitalist' believes in; George Bush and Tony Blair are not capitalists.
Supersonic
But not a situation which warrants a military invasion to resolve, surely.

They have mixed motives I guess, and have the convienient get-out clause of claiming to do it for purely altruistic reasons, which is unlikely
chrissy909
I'm american and I agree with that. America has enough internal problems (no national health service, HIGHLY accelerated levels of gun crime, widespread problems with the education system to name a few) so it would be nice if the money could be spent on that as opposed to nuclear weaponry and invading countries that not even our own president can pronounce.
I don't agree with this stereotype that all Americans are Southern hicks but it is worrying that George Bush was voted into power again...a monkey would be preferable.

I'm positive there are millions of americans who hold the same views. But as i mentioned are drowned out by the fools, corrupt and rednecks.
Also the us may have so many enemies considering:

Countries bombed by the US since WW2:

China, Korea, Guatemala, Indonesia, Cuba, Congo, Peru, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Lebanon, Grenada, Libya, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Panama, Bosnia, Sudan, Afghanistan, Yugoslavia and Iraq.

Thats a lot of countries with a grudge i don't think the US should go trying to make any more.

Also: "The US with 4% of the world's population emits over 20% of all greenhouse gasses." People won't appreciate this contribution from "The greatest democracy" in thw world.
Reply 104
I havent read all the comments on this topic because I havent got time. I would like to say my opinion on the subect. I am not anti america. I love america and hope to move there once Ive done my nursing. I know an american who came over to this country and got called an iraqi killer. BUT, when I went to america for a short visit last year, i got fed up with "if it wasnt for us you english would all be speaking german". To me there is a minority of anti english in america.

I met some lovely people, they all liked my "cute" accent. There are plenty people in this country that like americans. Its the minority thats giving the bad name.
Supersonic
What is so extreme about my opinions. I believe the US shouldn't invade countries, kill innocents and create social hysteria to impose their idealogy on a culture which they seem to neither understond or respect.

I beleive they need to address their own social problems before they preach to the rest of the world how to live.

I believe that capitalism is a flawed system and is designed to create inequality and will always result in a rigid society which opposes any flow between the social classes. However, i don't have a better solution so can't complain too much.

Nothing extreme there...only sense and logic.

I agree with you totally.

Trouble is, people in America (and the UK) wont admit the problem lies within their own borders, and not in the countless countries we've attacked. We have taken on a sense of "global police", and that everyone agrees (consensus trance) we are doing the "right thing".

You only have to look at Iraq, and "spreading democracy and peace", to realise its a load of crock.

As you said, sense and logic. Shame the majority of our society is so stupid to realise it, then we mite have a better world.
Beekeeper
Capitalism isn't really an ideology, it is a product of civilisation. The market is something we've always had and we will always have into the future.

Capitalism does not work.

It mite appear that it is working, but only because people fail to see whats coming because they are to preoccupied with their TVs and cars.

Whats more, i hope to god we dont continue using it in the future. Theres only so much you can exploit from the planet and people before you start getting backlashes.

note; the Earth is backlashing right now. Just look at the weather around the globe, sea levels etc. We are being told its a problem that will be bad in around 100 years....yet its happening NOW. Again, there is a good reason, but most people would consider it crazy.
Reply 107
nic_knock
"if it wasnt for us you english would all be speaking german".

The ironic thing about that one is that we can same exactly the same to them.
SocialSuicide

It mite appear that it is working, but only because people fail to see whats coming because they are to preoccupied with their TVs and cars.

Whats more, i hope to god we dont continue using it in the future. Theres only so much you can exploit from the planet and people before you start getting backlashes.

Oh FFS. If you're going to reply to my post then can you atleast read what i've said.

note; the Earth is backlashing right now. Just look at the weather around the globe, sea levels etc. We are being told its a problem that will be bad in around 100 years....yet its happening NOW. Again, there is a good reason, but most people would consider it crazy.

Hehe looks like the evil capitalist news corps have brainwashed the hell out of you!
The Governments are doing a pretty shameful job at handling global warming anyway, the biggest authoritarian communist government in the world, China, is arguably the single biggest 'threat' to the planet right now.
Reply 109
SocialSuicide

Theres only so much you can exploit from the planet and people before you start getting backlashes.

Since when was pollution the province or product of Capitalism? :confused:

In actuality, capitalism will help solve many envrionmental problems through innovation.
Oh please...

America pollutes more than any other country in the world, and thats not just CO2.

They also consume more kJ's of energy per person than any other in the world.

Kyoto agreement? Nope.

Depleted Uranium from Iraq, Afghanistan etc spreading across the globe. It just so happens that in January this year, America had a spike of lung cancer, the same time that DU was detected in the air....it has also been detected here in the UK (reading)

Dont try and pass the blaim onto China when America is far worse when it comes to environmentally friendly.
SocialSuicide
Oh please...

America pollutes more than any other country in the world, and thats not just CO2.

Kyoto agreement? Nope.

Depleted Uranium from Iraq, Afghanistan etc spreading across the globe. It just so happens that in January this year, America had a spike of lung cancer, the same time that DU was detected in the air....it has also been detected here in the UK (reading)

Dont try and pass the blaim onto China when America is far worse when it comes to environmentally friendly.

What exactly is your point?

Can you please tell me one politicial ideology or system of Government where a Global concensus on climate change would be more likely? I'm sick of people like you poking around at useless stats and blaming 'capitalism', when you have no sollution to the problem yourself.
SocialSuicide
Oh please...

Kyoto agreement? Nope.

You're aware the US is also the largest producing nation in the world as well? It's not exactly a suprise they're the largest producer.
Reply 113
SocialSuicide
Oh please...

Yes? So? That's not down to capitalism per se, its down to a number of factors, such as culture, and the quest for greater productivity. Productivity is not the province of capitalism either, capitalism is mainly about who reaps the benefits.

SocialSuicide

yes yes ... so? Many capitalist countries actully have very good environmental records relative to some more leftist ones.

SocialSuicide
Kyoto agreement? Nope.

Arguably lipservice to a solution.

SocialSuicide

Capitalist HOW now?

SocialSuicide

Not really, China shows far more disregard and has far fewer environmental safeguards - they simply dont have the capacity to produce the pollution america does - give it time. The mindset is much worse.

Regardless, you still havent shown that capitalism necessitates environmental damage.
Reply 114
Compare the pollution in the Yangtze to the pollution in the Mississipi or Rio Grande. **** - even the Hudson.
Reply 115
Anyone can b*tch about the problem, but if you don't have a solution you're not helping in the slightest.
Beekeeper
What exactly is your point?

Can you please tell me one politicial ideology or system of Government where a Global concensus on climate change would be more likely? I'm sick of people like you poking around at useless stats and blaming 'capitalism', when you have no sollution to the problem yourself.

"Anyone can b*tch about the problem, but if you don't have a solution you're not helping in the slightest."

You don't need to have a solution to identify the problem. In fact, I'm quite sure that you must first identify the problem before you can search for a solution.
Reply 117
Supersonic
"Anyone can b*tch about the problem, but if you don't have a solution you're not helping in the slightest."

You don't need to have a solution to identify the problem. In fact, I'm quite sure that you must first identify the problem before you can search for a solution.

Well correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure the problem has been identified :rolleyes:
Supersonic

Yes. Indeed.

The problem, apparently is that we are living under a system called capitalism, the only alternative to which is a large state planning every detail of our lives. I think perhaps you need to get your head out of Karl Marx and read some economics.
Supersonic

Congratulations. Now that you've identified what you think is the problem, what do you think the solution would be?

Do you think that if every country in the world suddenly swung to the left in favour of communist Governments, if we had loads and loads of mini Chinas, a Global concensus would be more likely?

Latest

Trending

Trending