The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

help!! thinking of putting orchard heights as my first choice, can anyone tell me more about this place? is it social etc
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by Nmys
Best things - everything is

Accommodation - well it looks better in the pictures... but it's not too bad, it just depends where you go. I was in one of the smaller houses of residence, which has its perks, but if you're looking for something more social apply to a bigger one, like one of the halls in Stoke Bishop.

I find the atmosphere here to be really chill and the social life is what you make of it.

Are there many ensuite+ catered rooms availablr?
Reply 1362
Original post by Gladiatorsword
Are there many ensuite+ catered rooms availablr?

I have no idea, I'm self-catered so I've never looked at catered accommodation. You should look on the accommodation website.
I'm coming to the end of my first year in a Clifton hall studying Geography if anyone had any questions :smile:
Original post by Nmys
Best things - everything is located in one area so it's easy to get to (apart from the stats lectures but that may change). It's really close to town too.

Worst thing - the weird allocation of lectures, as psychology doesn't have a building, so you just have to check your timetable to see where you're going every day.

Accommodation - well it looks better in the pictures... but it's not too bad, it just depends where you go. I was in one of the smaller houses of residence, which has its perks, but if you're looking for something more social apply to a bigger one, like one of the halls in Stoke Bishop.

Coursework is manageable as long as you organise your time, because the deadlines for psychology all come in the same week. It's alright when you only have 2 pieces to hand in, but when there's a few more you have to get on top of it early... or not, up to you.The exams are multiple choice, apart from one essay based exam. For these you just have to remember as much as you can and go for it. We didn't get much guidance for the essay exam, but it was fine. All the lecturers are pretty good too.

I find the atmosphere here to be really chill and the social life is what you make of it.

Thanks a lot, your answers were super helpful :biggrin:
Original post by iceangel8
I'm coming to the end of my first year in a Clifton hall studying Geography if anyone had any questions :smile:

How do you find the Geography course? Are the lectures and seminars interesting/engaging? And do you find you get enough support from the department should you need it?

Also in terms of the trip before freshers, how long was it? And what was it mainly based on?

Thanks
1) What Tourist attractions are there?
2) Am I allowed guests to sleepover at my Uni accommodation?
3) Are you satisfied with the teaching? Do you feel like you get enough help?
4) Is the work load harder than at A-Level?
5) Is it easy to make friends?
6) Do you miss home a lot?
7) Are there any countryside/or big green spaces near Bristol to have quiet get aways to revise?
8) Do you know anyone who is unhappy there...or has quit their course? (If so then why?)
9) What are the THREE best things about your uni experience so far.
10) Do people get drunk and party a lot...or not?
11) The best accommodation?
12) The THREE WORST things so far?

THANK YOU SO MUCH! :-D xxx
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AspireAndExceed
There's masses - the suspension bridge, the science museum, harbourside, aquarium, all the graffiti, the surrounding countryside, SS great britain, zoo, Blaise castle and hamlet etc
Yes. They do ask you fill in forms / get permission but..... they don't really monitor.
Suppose it depends on the course but I have nothing but nice things to say.
I did like, no work at A-level, and I actually have to work most days now so... yep!
So long as you aren't a hermit, then it's relatively easy esp in first year
I don't but some do. DON'T give in and go home every weekend... one girl did, we basically never saw her again. No idea if she's even still at uni.
Gunna have to cut the umbilical cord eventually imo7) Are there any countryside/or big green spaces near Bristol to have quiet get aways to revise?
Plenty as mentioned above, everywhere around it is country. Somerset is particularly lovely, I ride in the Mendips which is gorgeous.
Otherwise, within Bristol, the Downs offers that too.8) Do you know anyone who is unhappy there...or has quit their course? (If so then why?)
(not including the girl above who kept going home), I knew a fair few who changed courses and restarted the degree. Otherwise not really
ooh err... the degree? the variety of stuff to do here, and the amount of societies
Some do, some don't. There's almost always someone around (particularly in 1st year) who does
Wills, obvs :wink: #notbiased
The hills, the lack of cheap parking, the students who wear weird clothing :colonhash:

^see above
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
I'm aiming for one of the annexes, Sinclair House (the pastel-coloured buildings), not the main building.

I wonder if you and I will ever meet...:moon:

Oh wow I've been looking at Sinclair as well or even Manor House. I'm starting to consider UH to save more money.
Original post by camd97
How do you find the Geography course? Are the lectures and seminars interesting/engaging? And do you find you get enough support from the department should you need it?

Also in terms of the trip before freshers, how long was it? And what was it mainly based on?

Thanks

The geography course is great and engaging it's such a top department and the building is lovely. Definitely have a look at the course content though, if you're very mathsy I'd be aware of the statistics module. But I've enjoyed this year there are some really good lecturers. And yep my personal tutor is always there and they have these postgrad tutorials who are always available to help you out! No seminars in first year though.

The trip before freshers is solely social!! I enjoyed it really shoved me into uni life, was a bit intense meeting lots of new people but was enjoyable to meet the lecturers too and have familiar faces in lectures. Some people I met I'm friendly with now and it's just really fun we did canooing and stuff. I highly recommend it!

Guessing you've firmed so good luck and hope you get to Bristol it's fab!
Original post by wizard01
Oh wow I've been looking at Sinclair as well or even Manor House. I'm starting to consider UH to save more money.

Manor Hall is nicer and cheaper than my second and third choices because it's only 38 weeks. If I don't get in there I'm going to begrudge paying the extra for a crappier place!
Original post by iceangel8
The geography course is great and engaging it's such a top department and the building is lovely. Definitely have a look at the course content though, if you're very mathsy I'd be aware of the statistics module. But I've enjoyed this year there are some really good lecturers. And yep my personal tutor is always there and they have these postgrad tutorials who are always available to help you out! No seminars in first year though.

The trip before freshers is solely social!! I enjoyed it really shoved me into uni life, was a bit intense meeting lots of new people but was enjoyable to meet the lecturers too and have familiar faces in lectures. Some people I met I'm friendly with now and it's just really fun we did canooing and stuff. I highly recommend it!

Guessing you've firmed so good luck and hope you get to Bristol it's fab!

Thanks so much for the reply! Definitely, hopefully I will get the grades
Do you know anything about then new Gateway to Medicine course?
Original post by MiracleLeaf
Do you know anything about then new Gateway to Medicine course?

Its new this year. Its a pre-course Gateway year for applicants from low performing schools. If you pass the Gateway year you would have auto-entry to the main 5 year course the following year. Check carefully that you are eligible before you apply - your school has to be on Bristol's list of eligible 'low performing' UK schools and colleges and your predictions have to within an exact grade range. At the moment its restricted to those from the Bristol area - but that is likely to be lifted for 2017 entry. There are similar Gateway courses for Dentistry and Vet. http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2017/medicine/mb-chb-gateway-to-medicine/
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi!
I'm a York uni student with a placement over summer in Bristol. I am looking to see if a student wants to sublet their room for the ten weeks of summer. Here in York we have a York uni swap shop Facebook group that can be used for this kind of enquiry, it has lots of members and is popular. Does Bristol uni have the same sort of thing? I'm looking to target uni students since the timing is perfect....
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Yanoplathizo
Hi!
I'm a York uni student with a placement over summer in Bristol. I am looking to see if a student wants to sublet their room for the ten weeks of summer. Here in York we have a York uni swap shop Facebook group that can be used for this kind of enquiry, it has lots of members and is popular. Does Bristol uni have the same sort of thing? I'm looking to target uni students since the timing is perfect....

Its worth contacting the accom office at Bristol - there are summer lets on campus : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/conference/holidays-and-accommodation/

Or look at Student Spare Room : http://student.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare/?search_id=323875069&
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone doing MA in Law here? Canadians? Chinese? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1377
Original post by AspireAndExceed
7) Are there any countryside/or big green spaces near Bristol to have quiet get aways to revise?
8) Do you know anyone who is unhappy there...or has quit their course? (If so then why?)

Depends on your course - but for STEM yes, a lot harder.

If you want to :smile:

Varies, I like living by myself

I changed courses. Basically a joint in maths wasn't what I expected, it really is 50/50 - no integration of subjects.

The best thing is the freedom to do what you want, but it comes with responsibility ofc

Depends on the people

Depends on your personality and what you're looking for.

The hill
Time management
Hipsters?????????????????
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi all,

Is there a facebook group chat for undergrad law students 2016?

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by aayushk
Hi all,

Is there a facebook group chat for undergrad law students 2016?

Thank you! :smile:

I don't believe it has been created yet.
When it is, it should be called "Bristol lawyers 2016-2019" so search that nearer the time.

In the meantime, there's the main group; Bristol Lawyers (UBLC)

Latest

Trending

Trending