The Student Room Group

PGdip Nursing

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi,
I have an interview for PGDip Adult Nursing in April for the Sept2014 intake. I am really nervous already seen as its a group interview. Is there any advice about the interview? I had an interview before although I kept really quiet as it seemed like the other candidates were really chatty.
Ash x
Original post by Ashleen90
Hi,
I have an interview for PGDip Adult Nursing in April for the Sept2014 intake. I am really nervous already seen as its a group interview. Is there any advice about the interview? I had an interview before although I kept really quiet as it seemed like the other candidates were really chatty.
Ash x

Hey, which university is your interview for?
The main thing about group interviews is to find a happy medium - don't be too quiet or too chatty. If you find the others are a bit too chatty for you, try to join in but without interrupting them.
Also prepare answers for the usual questions you may get asked - why nursing, any relevant previous experiences, why this uni etc. Look up recent news about nursing and the 6 C's. The Francis report is still good to talk about but try to find more recent things as well.
Dress smartly but not over the top. I wore black trousers and a blouse, though I did get an offer from one where I wore jeans but it just depends really. Smart is the safest bet, but try not to look too business like.
Try and chat with other candidates/staff in waiting areas or whatever as sometimes they will observe how you interact with people generally.
Take a few seconds to think about an answer to a question if you're not sure - don't blurt out the first thing you think of but don't take too long to think about it either.
Always about finding a happy medium or a balance really.
Good luck and hope my little ramble helped a little x
Reply 22
Hi, thanks for the info. It's Kingston University London
In group interviews do they ask the obvious questions aswell? I have been preparing for them just incase.

Ash x
Reply 23
Hi,

I am putting in a late application for Sept 2014 entry for the PGDip in Adult Nursing...have picked a number of universities but my preferred is Kings.

Does anyone have any tips for interview/other requirements to secure a place? Also I'm really worried I won't be able to afford to live in London on the bursary alone? How is everyone else finding living costs etc?
Im also looking to apply for my pgdip in adult nursing... Could anyone let me know if your previous degree was healthcare/science related and if you needed experience in clinical setting.

I have experience in hospital etc but previous degree non related

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Missbaskett and Shaz,

It's a quiet thread. You may need to try to find more active ones :smile:

Anyway, Missbaskett, my degree wasn't health/science related. It varies among universities; for example, last year, Southampton and Brookes asked for such, while King's did not. Check your choices' requirements. Regarding the experience, you'll have to be able to document almost 600 hours worth healthcare related experience before you start the course, not necessarily in clinical settings. Working in a hospital or nursing home, volunteering for a charity or caring for a relative are all equally important, aren't they.

Shaz1926, if everything look similar to what was a year ago, I can only say that numeracy skills tested are really basic. You'll need a good idea of what critical appraisal is and what questions to ask, and having a prepared checklist may help. As far as I remember, we had only 20 minutes to read a short journal article and write something about it.

I was puzzled and still am regarding what they were looking at during the interview/group work, when we were asked to organise a Christmas party for residential home service users. In retrospect, I'd say that King's group interview is mainly about one's ability to work in a (multidisciplinary) team. The patient and their needs are in the centre of the nursing practice, and whether on your own or in a team, you'll plan, care/treat and evaluate the results of your and others' interventions. MDT meeting is an opportunity to look at the care provided from wider perspective, to see what others do, to contribute, to share knowledge of your patients, or to acknowledge others' input and build upon it, but rarely to argue. If you stuck thinking there is not much you can say, that's absolutely fine; sometimes, there is simply nothing to add. However, be ready to give constructive feedback on what others said, overall team work and to reflect on your own contribution or its lack.

The bursary may cover the cost of basic accommodation, if you're lucky. I think pgdip students can still apply for some sort of a reduced loan, but I'm not sure about it after all. I just take some shifts in hospitals and live off my partner :smile:

Good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
@rivermaze thanks alot for your input i have been contacting unis all day lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Hey guys,

I come from a liberal arts discipline, currently due to go into my final year as a student at Kent to finish up my BA Drama and English & American Literature (with a year abroad) course.... However, like many of you, I'd also like to apply for a PG Dip Adult Nursing at King's... I'm on track for a 2:1 at the completion of my degree and currently hold 3 years of experience working as a Health Care Assistant. I asked one of my old work places the amount of hours I'd logged as a HCA and I seem to already have something over 1025 hrs of experience as a HCA.

Although I've already inquired the admissions department of King's about possible entry for the 2015 intake, I was still a bit nervous and wanted to ask whether there was anyone else who'd been accepted onto the course despite coming from a liberal arts field??
Reply 28
Hi...Does anyone know what the time table is like for the LSBU course starting in April next year?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending