The Student Room Group

In need of revision/tips for the AQA English Language Exam on Jan 10th 2012

Hello! I have a few questions for everybody sitting the AQA English Language exam on Jan 10th:

1) How are you currently revising? (If you have any revision/tips, could you share it/them with me? :biggrin:)

2) Do you have a time plan (i.e. a plan of how long you're going to spend on each question)?

I'm frustrated as I struggle to find revision that will prepare me for the upcoming exam :unimpressed:

Any answers would be appreciated :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

I am currently revising by going through past papers I have done and practising questions I lose the most marks on (Make the questions up or find past questions on the AQA website:smile: and use the mark scheme to give yourself a mark.

Time Plan:
Reading time: 15 mins
Qu 1: 12 mins
Qu 2: 12 mins
Qu 3: 12 mins
Qu 4: 24 mins

Writting Section
Qu 5: 25 mins (5 min planning time*)
QU 6: 35 mins (5 min planning time*)
*You don't need to plan. But sometimes it helps to get your thoughts in order.
Original post by Prekt
Hello! I have a few questions for everybody sitting the AQA English Language exam on Jan 10th:

1) How are you currently revising? (If you have any revision/tips, could you share it/them with me? :biggrin:)

2) Do you have a time plan (i.e. a plan of how long you're going to spend on each question)?

I'm frustrated as I struggle to find revision that will prepare me for the upcoming exam :unimpressed:

What level is your exam? GCSE, AS or A2? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by EvasiveRose
I am currently revising by going through past papers I have done and practising questions I lose the most marks on (Make the questions up or find past questions on the AQA website:smile: and use the mark scheme to give yourself a mark.

Time Plan:
Reading time: 15 mins
Qu 1: 12 mins
Qu 2: 12 mins
Qu 3: 12 mins
Qu 4: 24 mins

Writting Section
Qu 5: 25 mins (5 min planning time*)
QU 6: 35 mins (5 min planning time*)
*You don't need to plan. But sometimes it helps to get your thoughts in order.

Thanks! I'm going to run through some of the past paper questions that I've lost the most marks on, and then mark them. I will also be reviewing my notes made in class about the generic form that the questions come in.
Once more, thanks. I should have thought of past papers! :tongue:

Question: How long are you planning to spend revising for this paper? I'm worried about English! :unimpressed:

Original post by revise*more*now!
What level is your exam? GCSE, AS or A2? :smile:

GCSE :biggrin:
I took English language last year so I'm not going to be taking the exam but this is what I did to get my A*, it may not work for everyone but I'll put it out there:

1) reread through the book through the half term/holidays beforehand - its amazing how much more detail you can find

2) do lots of mock paper essays at home and try and get someone else to read them and comment

3) do mind maps of the key themes, characters, plots etc

4) depending what exam board you have you will always have the same sort of questions, try and pick these out and cover the main things. Eg my gcse was mad on themes do I did loads on theme revisions and got some good quotes ready and lucky me one of them was in the exam.

5) remember to check your work once you're in the exam...the first time I sat the exam it was my one of my first 'proper' exams and I was so nervous that I missed out the last question...only had 10 mins to squeeze in a 30min essay.... I got slightly carried away...but the thing is with English that if you come out thinking it went terrible or probably went well in reality!

Just remember to back up everything you say!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Hi!
1) I'm finding it hard to revise too! So far I've just been practising answers for question 5 really, because that's the one I find hardest. But I'm also going to answer questions for the reading section (I think I've done most of the past papers at school, so I might just answer them about newspaper articles or something). Oh and I find YouTube quite helpful! :tongue: there are a few videos about how to answer questions for AQA, as well as are some videos which analyse exemplar A* answers :smile: they're quite good for understanding what the examiners are looking for.
2) I plan my time, but quite roughly...
Q1, 2 & 3: 15 mins for each question, including reading time
Q4: 25 mins
Q5: 25 mins
Q6: 35 mins
although, I always answer Q6 before Q5, because I'm better at it, and it gets me in the mood for writing lol :awesome:

Good luck with your exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Prekt

I think this youtube channel might help http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqGFsWf-P-cBnjI-6RVe2xKF43Rzj7f6O&feature=plcp there are others like it on youtube but I find this the most helpful.
Reply 7
Original post by TheLightBulb
I took English language last year so I'm not going to be taking the exam but this is what I did to get my A*, it may not work for everyone but I'll put it out there:

1) reread through the book through the half term/holidays beforehand - its amazing how much more detail you can find

2) do lots of mock paper essays at home and try and get someone else to read them and comment

3) do mind maps of the key themes, characters, plots etc

4) depending what exam board you have you will always have the same sort of questions, try and pick these out and cover the main things. Eg my gcse was mad on themes do I did loads on theme revisions and got some good quotes ready and lucky me one of them was in the exam.

5) remember to check your work once you're in the exam...the first time I sat the exam it was my one of my first 'proper' exams and I was so nervous that I missed out the last question...only had 10 mins to squeeze in a 30min essay.... I got slightly carried away...but the thing is with English that if you come out thinking it went terrible or probably went well in reality!

Just remember to back up everything you say!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe you're referring to the literature exam.
Reply 8
I've got model answers for each question ranging from students who got low marks on each question and students who got the highest marks on each question. If you want the model answers for every question, let me know.
It gives you an idea about what you need to include in each question to get the highest marks.
Reply 9
It's pretty difficult to revise for English btw..
I would just find articles online and practice each exam question on the articles you find.
For example,
print of an article
and answer the question "What do you learn about the article"

Also, have a look at mark schemes to see what the examiner is looking for.
Original post by Prekt

Question: How long are you planning to spend revising for this paper? I'm worried about English! :unimpressed:

GCSE :biggrin:

I'm revising for an hour max in the holidays and a few days before the exam too. :smile:

But as you're worried about the exam I'd advise you to do the amount of revision that makes you feel ready for the exam (could be an hour, two, etc)
Reply 11
Original post by ThatGirlx
I've got model answers for each question ranging from students who got low marks on each question and students who got the highest marks on each question. If you want the model answers for every question, let me know.
It gives you an idea about what you need to include in each question to get the highest marks.

Hey, can you send them to me pls :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by joey4live
Hey, can you send them to me pls :biggrin:

Yeah sure, private message me your email

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
write like a pretentious **** and you shall get an A*.

In all seriousness AQA has no idea how to mark english language/literature examinations. I don't think I even finished one of my papers and somehow got 100UMS.
Reply 14
It seems marks get given for key points on the first half, so i'm going to focus on devices and making paragraphs of writing over why the font size was suitable :s-smilie: for the second half, just writing posh and trying to write a lot seems to work for me.
Original post by Kill3er
I believe you're referring to the literature exam.

Nope. My two English literature exams were on poetry and advanced novel devices. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm planning to do the questions in the following order with the according time periods:

Q4) spending 25 minutes (I don't even have to properly read the articles for this question, just quickly skim them, so no reading time will be allocated)

Q1) spending 15 minutes (this includes 5 min reading time)

Q2 ) spending 15 minutes (again, 5 min reading time is included)

Q3) spending 15 minutes (5 min reading time)

I will then progress to do:

Q5) 25 minutes

Q6) 35 minutes (I haven't included any planning time as I tend to just improvise and write as I go. This works for me, but you may want to include some planning time for yourself.)

In regard to revision, so far I've just gone to my corner shop every couple of days (three times this holiday), picked up a newspaper (the Evening Standard or Guardian) and selected three articles that match the tediousness of the articles the exam usually include (e.g absolutely THRILLING(!) articles on how to grow garlic!) I'd usually select two informative articles and then one story-like article.

I'll then just jot down the key points I'd make for each of the reading questions, using the generic questions:
1) What can you learn from...
2) How are the headline, subtitle + picture effective and how do they link with the text?
3) Explain some of the thoughts and feelings...
4) Compare the ways language is used for effect...

I don't actually write the answer in full :P

For revision for the writing section, I do none other than go over some language devices to employ, particularly for sixth question :cool:

Oh, also, it's good to go over the mark schemes for the paper. They're available on the AQA website. It's also beneficial if you go over the techniques required to be exercised when answering the questions. You've probably learnt this in class!

Again, this is the revision technique that works for me. I hope I've helped :biggrin:

Here are some YouTube videos my school made to help us revise for the paper:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB5047701999834FF
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by TheLightBulb
Nope. My two English literature exams were on poetry and advanced novel devices. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So what do you mean by reread through the book? Which book? :smile:
Original post by thatgirlx
i've got model answers for each question ranging from students who got low marks on each question and students who got the highest marks on each question. If you want the model answers for every question, let me know.

yes pleasee!! :d
Reply 19
Original post by ThatGirlx

Could you also send me the higher mark model answers please. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending