The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Do you still have the same expectations for next season considering SAF has left? Surely Moyes will need some time to get used to his new surroundings and players he hasn't worked with before. I know you'll still finish in the top three, your squad is too good not to. But SAF will be a big loss, his very presence at the club pushed the players to their limits, for example you wouldn't have won the league in 2011 if not for Fergie's influence. It'll take some time for Moyes to have the same effect. One thing for certain is that this is a good thing for the competitiveness of the league, opens up the door to the likes of Chelsea and City and to a lesser extent Arsenal. Can't wait for next season.
Reply 3901
Original post by TheInvincibles14
Do you still have the same expectations for next season considering SAF has left? Surely Moyes will need some time to get used to his new surroundings and players he hasn't worked with before. I know you'll still finish in the top three, your squad is too good not to. But SAF will be a big loss, his very presence at the club pushed the players to their limits, for example you wouldn't have won the league in 2011 if not for Fergie's influence. It'll take some time for Moyes to have the same effect. One thing for certain is that this is a good thing for the competitiveness of the league, opens up the door to the likes of Chelsea and City and to a lesser extent Arsenal. Can't wait for next season.

I'm hoping for a decent cup run and 2nd or higher in the league ideally. If we don't win the league next year it's something I think most will take on the chin, providing we have a go and don't look awful. It all depends what happens in the summer, if he splashes out £80 million odd on players then just like any other manager he will have to justify that with performances.
Original post by Idle
I'm hoping for a decent cup run and 2nd or higher in the league ideally. If we don't win the league next year it's something I think most will take on the chin, providing we have a go and don't look awful. It all depends what happens in the summer, if he splashes out £80 million odd on players then just like any other manager he will have to justify that with performances.

Don't think you need to splash out that much. Right now you only really need a CM and perhaps a LB, although if Rooney leaves I imagine you'll be after a replacement, even though you don't need one, since Kagawa is a fine player, I have a feeling you'll get Bale this summer, don't know why. Just seems like a typical United signing. Bale playing off RVP up front could be devastating.
Reply 3903
Original post by TheInvincibles14
Don't think you need to splash out that much. Right now you only really need a CM and perhaps a LB, although if Rooney leaves I imagine you'll be after a replacement, even though you don't need one, since Kagawa is a fine player, I have a feeling you'll get Bale this summer, don't know why. Just seems like a typical United signing. Bale playing off RVP up front could be devastating.

I have a feeling a couple will be sold, Scholes and/or Giggs could also retire now Fergie has going. He's going to want to put his stamp on the squad and that is fair enough so if he wants to ship a couple and bring in people who can blame him.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Idle
I have a feeling a couple will be sold, Scholes and/or Giggs could also retire now Fergie has going. He's going to want to put his stamp on the squad and that is fair enough so if he wants to ship a couple and bring in people who can blame him.

Giggs already signed a one year extension to keep him there until June 2014. Scholes will re-retire at the end of this season although it seems to be getting no press whatsoever with the Ferguson story dominating everything.

I think that's how Paul will like it, his first farewell was too overstated and dramatic for such a quiet lad. :biggrin:
If Scholes is retiring we certainly will need to sign a CM by necessity, I would also think player like Anderson would be worried. He's a talent but the faith shown in him was based on something Ferguson saw, not Moyes. He could find himself on the way out tbh.

Also has to post this, just because Welbeck is in a suit

Spoiler

As if we didnt know already, story coming out Scholes is retiring, again.

What was the last update on Fletcher? Could be crazy to see Scholes retire, Anderson leave and Fletcher go out through illness all in one summer
Reply 3907
Christian Miles ‏@christianrmiles 3h
1 day after taking Utd. job, Moyes still at Everton training ground catching U-16 games. Unrelenting commitment. #Moyes #MUFC #EFC

:adore:
Reply 3908
Id like one signing and one youth player coming through but I enjoy seeing youth come through you feel more attached to them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by doggyfizzel
If Scholes is retiring we certainly will need to sign a CM by necessity, I would also think player like Anderson would be worried. He's a talent but the faith shown in him was based on something Ferguson saw, not Moyes. He could find himself on the way out tbh.

Spoiler

Can't lie, they look so fly in that picture. Rooney looks fat in that suit though :lol: guy really needs to lose some weight.
Reply 3910
Looks like Reservoir Dogs gone wrong.
Original post by doggyfizzel

Spoiler

That suit is hideous! Welbeck looks much better in the official club suit.

We don't need to replace Scholes because he's hardly played recently anyway, we have Shinji Kagawa and Tom Cleverley to provide the creativity through the middle and Carrick's long passing.
Original post by IanDangerously

We don't need to replace Scholes because he's hardly played recently anyway, we have Shinji Kagawa and Tom Cleverley to provide the creativity through the middle and Carrick's long passing.

Suit would be better if he had matching trousers:tongue:. Surprised to see nobody wearing tweed, RVP's suit is dreadful imo.

I still think we're a CM short, would love to see Vidal arrive as unlikely as it is to happen. Gundogan would be good, doubt Dortmund would sell, Lars Bender looks quality?
Personally I think our main priority should be to buy a holding mid, someone who provides a physical presence in the centre (Fellaini & Wanyama comes to mind)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by IanDangerously

Admittedly he probably could have got a suit that actually matches on his wages. Shinji looks pretty good in a suit tbh.

No so much we need a replacement in terms of his playing but just in numbers terms. Fletcher who doesn't come into it when thinking about a squad if he's fit then great but most of the time he's not going to be by the looks of things. That leaves Cleverly, Anderson, and Carrick. We have a few players like Kagawa, Powell, even Rooney who can tide over but they 2 of them aren't CM's and don't look comfortable in a two and Powell isn't really ready even then he has still played most of his games as an AM. We pretty much have 3 players for 2 positions.

Its hard to say without knowing how Moyes will play the team, but even based on a 4-4-1-1 kind of formation of 11/12, that looks more than a little light for cover in the middle if you competing on 3 fronts. Say Anderson gets injured for 2-3 months, we then have 2 CM's for a minimum of 2 positions, and we would need one of the other filing during and possibly even for entire games.
Reply 3915
I'm really interested to see if David Moyes changes things tactically or attempts to emulate SAF-type tactics.

AVB has warned Moyes not to make a move for Bale :rofl2:http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/8705695/Andre-Villas-Boas-has-warned-incoming-Man-Utd-boss-David-Moyes-off-moving-for-Gareth-Bale

If Rooney were to go and Bale to come in, that'd be one hell of a line-up, as Kagawa would be given his proper position back. Just dreaming..

Carrick New-CM
Valencia Kagawa Bale
RVP

:moon:
Valencia best start to remember he's a footballer next season
Reply 3917
Original post by member9876
Valencia best start to remember he's a footballer next season

Lol let's hope so! Personally, I'd only like to see Anderson and Nani leave and have them replaced with a quality CM and winger. Still think we should try and keep Rooney.

I'd also love for one or two youngsters, particularly Powell to be given more chances.
Original post by Akkuz
I'm really interested to see if David Moyes changes things tactically or attempts to emulate SAF-type tactics.

AVB has warned Moyes not to make a move for Bale :rofl2:http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/8705695/Andre-Villas-Boas-has-warned-incoming-Man-Utd-boss-David-Moyes-off-moving-for-Gareth-Bale

If Rooney were to go and Bale to come in, that'd be one hell of a line-up, as Kagawa would be given his proper position back. Just dreaming..

Carrick New-CM
Valencia Kagawa Bale
RVP

:moon:
Agreed on the tactics front, will be interesting to see how Moyes sets the team up.

I love Spurs desperately telling Bale he should sign a new deal. If he does that is pretty much his career at WHL, even in this form its touch and go whether he's worth the £50m Spurs will want a new deal would make him near unbuyable for a few seasons at least.

I wouldn't mind Bale I guess, I'm not quite as hyped up as everyone else. I saw the Guardian's predicted line up for Swansea, has Kagawa behind RVP, which makes sense if the Rooney issues are true.
Whether we sign a winger or not a central mid has to be signed ASAP. I heard Fellani started following our twitter...it's on?

We just cannot expect to keep going with the same midfield
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest