The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax

I really don't understand it.

It could be a change in how we approach transfers, an article was written about it that i read earlier today by Andy Mitten, talking about the fresh approach, pleasing the fans, basically saying "We’re Man United, the champions of England and we’re going to sign this or that player’" like it says etc.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/woodward-regime-change-direction-united-5163309

But its hard to see whether this is an actual change, or if these examples of just irregular activities, or whether its just this summer because of the managerial change as a 'lets let the fans know what we are doing' thing.

Cesc individually though, the only reasons to come out with it publically if not for a general change in policy are to please the fans, to show the selling club we are seriously interested enough that we will publicly say so, and to tell the player we are willing to publicly announce we want him in the hopes it sways their decision.

If anything, i think it is just telling Fabregas "Look, we want you so bad we are willing to tell the public something we hardly ever do", which if we believe the reports Fabregas may be open to a move if Barcelona would be willing to sell him, may fit in with trying to sway his decision in our favour over staying and seeing what happens or forcing the move to Arsenal instead.

I really don't understand this transfer, it is the one of the weirdest substantiated possibilities i've seen in a while. Two bids means someone somewhere is giving this idea the go ahead as a possibility and i find that odd.
Original post by Zerforax
I don't really see any up side to being so public about transfers?
I get it completely, players hold so much power in todays game, once a player announces they want to leave the ability of the club to hold on to them is difficult, once they have a destination its near impossible. By announcing it publicly, you give them a destination, even a hint of wanting to leave makes things difficult. I don't think there is much of a downside of making it public you would like to get a player like Fabregas, most club's would, so the position you would like him but can't have him is pretty much assumed. I guess there are still some deals like Kagawa the club would like to keep quiet, mainly because there is nothing to be gained by going public, but I can't think of many high profile moves that have occurred of late on the quiet.
Original post by sr90
Starting to think this whole ''we'll spend money'' is just a ploy by the Arsenal board to shift more season tickets, it's obvious that Suarez is nothing more than a PR exercise (as I believe Fabregas is with us). It was silly of them coming out and saying they have lots of money as any club/agent with half a brain will subsequently inflate fees as Madrid have done with Higuain.

Wenger's contract runs out next summer and there is no guarentee Arsenal will be in the Champions League - I wonder if that's putting off any potential signings?

Your manager doesn't seem to agree...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23332675?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Sounds like he is saying "We **** Up".
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by xDave-
Well, you say transfers, but he's said we're looking at other players and he hasn't named them. I don't believe Baines has been talked about by Moyes either, and it's known that we put in a bid for him. It's only Fabregas he's talking about openly, perhaps there's some reason for that? I can't think what that might be, mind.

Yohan Kebab :cool:
Reply 7144
Certainly most of us are not happy with United's transfer campaign thus far. Moyes and Woodward alienated Rooney, failed to wrap up Thiago quickly and wrong target (Cesc Fabregas). I just dont think Moyes has put in much effort into securing signings, he is just leaving everything for the CEO to deal with while he is enjoying the Australia sunshine and wait for the news. Oh well I guess we can only judge when we actually start playing.
Reply 7145
Original post by AXERTYRE
Certainly most of us are not happy with United's transfer campaign thus far. Moyes and Woodward alienated Rooney, failed to wrap up Thiago quickly and wrong target (Cesc Fabregas). I just dont think Moyes has put in much effort into securing signings, he is just leaving everything for the CEO to deal with while he is enjoying the Australia sunshine and wait for the news. Oh well I guess we can only judge when we actually start playing.

Rooney alienated himself, to be fair.
Are we now expecting our managers to fly all over the world to deal with transfers? We have people for that, every club does.
Hiddink leaves Anzhi

Rene takes over for now, wonder if he'll stay..
Original post by Idle
Rooney alienated himself, to be fair.

You have to him some credit for not undermining the club. He hasn't said anything to the press which could make Man U look bad compared to Suarez is doing at Liverpool. I'm not even sure the "angry and confused" came from him.
Original post by sevchenko
You have to him some credit for not undermining the club. He hasn't said anything to the press which could make Man U look bad compared to Suarez is doing at Liverpool. I'm not even sure the "angry and confused" came from him.

He hasn't been saying anything because he doesn't have to, his bellend agent Mark Stretford is doing it all for him.
Original post by DaveSmith99
He hasn't been saying anything because he doesn't have to, his bellend agent Mark Stretford is doing it all for him.

:laugh:

Its so hard to establish what is actually 'leaked info' from Stretford (like comments about SAF, his role, no transfer request etc) and what is just media bull**** that they spout everyday, because the guy is such an ass you just know it could all completely be from him.
Original post by DaveSmith99

What do you expect from an agent, they're no better than the common Ferengi. But this is Rooney's last pay day he isn't likely an improvement on his current contract. Chelsea would probably offer him crazy money and the agent gets an sweet percentage
Reply 7152
Barca have said to have turned down utds second bid claiming that he is "un-sellable"
Original post by JM1987
Barca have said to have turned down utds second bid claiming that he is "un-sellable"

Sauce?
Reply 7154
Original post by sevchenko
Sauce?

Sport, a Spanish paper, dunno how reliable they are. If it's true, hopefully United will now stop perusing a transfer that was so obviously never going to happen.
Original post by xDave-
Sport, a Spanish paper, dunno how reliable they are. If it's true, hopefully United will now stop perusing a transfer that was so obviously never going to happen.

They are this reliable

Reply 7156
have been reliable and unreliable but i think we would have to bid 35-40mil for a chance of getting him anyway
As you'll remember, Rene left Man United, well he's now taken on the role of manager at Anzhi, with Hiddink resigning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23411365

Edit: Didn't see Tommy posted this - ah well, this post has a source.
Good luck to Rene. Wish he would have stayed, though.

The players said good things about him.
Reply 7159
is Fabregas worth 40 mil?

Latest