The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

SAF to be investigated for not attending post match media stuff

Nani to be investiagted , apparently for his reaction to the red card.

Don't really get the Nani part.. what did he do?
Reply 1802
Original post by Tommyjw

The system is a joke, are they going to investigate the ref for being useless while they are there? Oh wait..
Reply 1803
I don't get it, why are so many people saying that the team selection was spot on? What about Rooney? Why on earth was he not there? Playing a match against Real Madrid and having an on form Rooney who scored a goal and assisted 2 others in the previous match is baffling. What about Kagawa? He scores a hat-trick, SAF says he'll definitely be involved, and obviously he wasn't. Ridiculous. Good choice with the Nani selection. He was actually playing pretty well.
Original post by qasidb
I don't get it, why are so many people saying that the team selection was spot on? What about Rooney? Why on earth was he not there? Playing a match against Real Madrid and having an on form Rooney who scored a goal and assisted 2 others in the previous match is baffling. What about Kagawa? He scores a hat-trick, SAF says he'll definitely be involved, and obviously he wasn't. Ridiculous. Good choice with the Nani selection. He was actually playing pretty well.

Luckily Welbeck and Giggs played well, we can say that in hindsight.

In reality, a average Rooney performance is more beneficial to the team than an average Giggs performance, so it could have backfired.
Original post by Tommyjw
Giggs apparently gave his 1000th shirt, signed by all the players, to Ronaldo.

Absolute class by Giggsy. I can imagine that handing over must have been emotional for Ronaldo. People slamming Ronaldo for not celebrating but had he done after the second goal, considering what had gone on before, would have created a more hostile situation. The idea of players not celebrating against their old clubs is for another thread but Ronaldo, the relationship he had with SAF, players and fans was a sign of diplomacy and respect. I love him even more and hope one day he'll be back.

Hurting less but it's going to be one of SAF's toughest jobs to raise the morale and re-focus the team especially as we are pretty comfortable in the league. Had we been 4-5 pts ahead City then SAF can galavanise the players into focusing on beating City for the league.

I'm expecting a slight hangover from everybody on Sunday but I hope the crowd can be just as vociferous as they were last night because the boys will need it.

Original post by qasidb

In hindsight it was the right thing. Welbeck showed extreme discipline and concentration to stick to Alonso, a CL league winner himself and much more experienced. Rooney I doubt would have that that focus to stick completely with him.

I was thinking about this today, is Rooney on the slide? I'd say he was in brilliant form for us from 2004-2006 sporadically as he got adjusted to being with us. Then was instrumental in the side that had the success from 2006-2009, but it seems that contract hullaballoo and other stuff including maybe his nose put out of joint with RVP signing is affecting him. He still has that street-fighter enthusiasm but I'm beginning to think if a big offer comes in the summer, then it maybe tough to reject. Thoughts?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1806
Original post by Tommyjw
Luckily Welbeck and Giggs played well, we can say that in hindsight.

In reality, a average Rooney performance is more beneficial to the team than an average Giggs performance, so it could have backfired.

And Kagawa?
Original post by qasidb
And Kagawa?

I would have loved him to get a start but SAF proved me wrong.

Let's not rush Kagawa too much in his debut season. He's coming off a knee injury and granted he took his goals very well on Saturday and his general play and movement was impressive. But it was against Norwich.

The bottom line is that all players SAF selected did their job admirably. So he doesn't deserve any further analysis into his decisions of that line up.
Reply 1808
Original post by Aky786UK
I was thinking about this today, is Rooney on the slide? I'd say he was in brilliant form for us from 2004-2006 sporadically as he got adjusted to being with us. Then was instrumental in the side that had the success from 2006-2009, but it seems that contract hullaballoo and other stuff including maybe his nose put out of joint with RVP signing is affecting him. He still has that street-fighter enthusiasm but I'm beginning to think if a big offer comes in the summer, then it maybe tough to reject. Thoughts?

14 goals in 29 appearances with 12 assists. For someone not playing as a CF most of the time that is great.
Reply 1809
Rooney should've started but Welbeck played great and so did Giggs but still Messi hasn't been on form lately but Barca won't drop him, when Rooney just scored a cracker against Norwhich in the week, he for me would've impacted the game more in the midfield.

Messi has reportedly said that he wants to play with Rooney and Bale, is this the beginning of a rumour filled summer the thing is if we keep dropping Rooney for the big games he will leave if Barca come calling, he's not the loyal type of player but the thing is that we would find it hard to replace him, the stats speak for itself.
United reserves lead West Ham 1-0 at Moss Lane. Nick Powell with the goal inside four minutes, 36 played.
As much as i like Rooney i don't think we can afford him. Probably PSG or Madrid for him if he moved.
Fatty Ronaldo went too far...

Sir Alex Ferguson was asked during his press conference which Ronaldo was better and referred to the Brazilian as the 'fat Ronaldo' and this has angered him a great deal. He's quoted by AS as saying his mouth has now been shut and he hopes Ferguson's team loses their matches forevermore.

"Real Madrid closed his mouth for me. It was disrespectful. A professional of many years, one of England's Sirs, should not have such disrespect. Not elegant.

"I have no words for this man, only to lead a team who always loses."

Ferguson was wrong to use the throwaway comment but Ronaldo (the horizontally challenged Brazilian one) has gone a little far, he's probably put a curse on the Ferguson household and all who pass through it.
Reply 1813
Original post by Tommyjw

I imagine it'll be for not leaving the pitch for a while. It's an understandable rule but I wish they'd use some common sense and see the fact the decision was clearly wrong as a mitigating factor.

Original post by qasidb

We're saying it was spot on because for an hour of the match we had decent control, and looked more likely to score than Madrid. Like most others I was amazed when I saw the team, and didn't really agree with it, but anyone saying it wasn't effective is just wrong. You can say x should have played and y would have happened but there's no way of knowing, all we can know is that until the red card we were on top and likely to go through.

Original post by Aky786UK

He's not 'sliding', he's just (as usual) sacrificing his individual interests for the good of the team. The contract stuff is irrelevant to his form seeing as last season was one of his best ever. The RVP signing has affected him in that he's not our primary goalscorer anymore but it's inaccurate to say he isn't as good as he used to be, in terms of his contribution to the team he's having a great season, and even individually he's scoring at better than a goal every other game.

The media writing his Utd career off is amusing. I still think he'll play for us for the rest of his career and captain us soon enough.
Original post by rohitbd
Rooney should've started but Welbeck played great and so did Giggs but still Messi hasn't been on form lately but Barca won't drop him, when Rooney just scored a cracker against Norwhich in the week, he for me would've impacted the game more in the midfield.

Messi has reportedly said that he wants to play with Rooney and Bale, is this the beginning of a rumour filled summer the thing is if we keep dropping Rooney for the big games he will leave if Barca come calling, he's not the loyal type of player but the thing is that we would find it hard to replace him, the stats speak for itself.

Highly doubt it. Where would they play rooney? On the wing with his lightning pace(joke) Where would that put fabregas who they've been trying to put into the team with xavi and iniesta. Unless they play a 3-5-2 or something(which would involve putting a left back as centre back or dropping one of xavi and iniesta since busquetts would be needed in that system) they would not use him there.

He wouldn't fit in the barcelona side simple as. Madrid yes, barcelona no.
Original post by Malevolent
As much as i like Rooney i don't think we can afford him. Probably PSG or Madrid for him if he moved.

Even if you could, where would he play, you have enough problems fitting in fabregas rooney being there will make things worse and he's not as effective on the wing as he is in the centre. He would give you plan B, or as balague would say the 101st variation of plan A.
Original post by qasidb

Rooney and Kagawa were two of our worst players in the first leg. On paper, Madrid's team looks so much stronger than ours yesterday, but with Welbeck not giving Alonso any space, Giggs in inspired form and Nani having his game of the season before that decision, SAF's selections were spot on. Madrid didn't have one great chance before the sending off.
Original post by Tommyjw

I would imagine the Nani part maybe because he stayed on the pitch for too long which I feel was understandable but they may see it as a problem. I really feel they should allow more time for managers/players before they have to interview.
Reply 1818
Original post by jam277
Even if you could, where would he play, you have enough problems fitting in fabregas rooney being there will make things worse and he's not as effective on the wing as he is in the centre. He would give you plan B, or as balague would say the 101st variation of plan A.

Aah but the beauty of Rooney is that he can play a host of positions and apart from a CB, Barca could do with a player like Rooney where they can play in many positions and many play styles for when there original plan fails like you said, that said Rooney is going nowhere he is to valuable to us.
Original post by rohitbd
Aah but the beauty of Rooney is that he can play a host of positions and apart from a CB, Barca could do with a player like Rooney where they can play in many positions and many play styles for when there original plan fails like you said, that said Rooney is going nowhere he is to valuable to us.

Agree, but I don't think rooney would be happy being made as a utility player for barcelona if he's not happy being on the bench in big games. But yeah I can see his use. Just that he could just turn out to be like ibra was for barca.

Latest