Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    "They wondered what else could be done"

I have the translation which is "Sie fragten sich, was sonst gemacht werden könnte" - I'm just curious how the last part is constructed? I understand it to be a passive but I'd be grateful if anyone could go through their thinking of how one would translate that particular part.

Happy new year

ReputationRep:
    I think I can break it down for you.

Firstly, the present passive is formed with werden + a past participle.

ich wird gesehen- I am (being) seen
    du wirst gesehen - you are (being) seen
    er/sie/es wird gesehen
    wir werden gesehen
    ihr werdet gesehen
    Sie werden gesehen
    sie werden gesehen.

So, "what is being done?" would be: ,,Was wird gemacht?"

"What could be done?" is not only a passive tense, but it is also a passive infinitive.
    which is formed by combining the past participle of the verb with the infinitive werden. It is used with modal verbs.
    Examples from my textbook include: er musste bezahlt werden- he had to be paid.

So, "what could be done" can be translated as "Was könnte gemacht werden?"

However, in your example, it forms the second clause, and ,,was" behaves like a subordinating conjunction, like weil when it joins sentences/clauses.

So the verbs are flipped a bit, and so it becomes: ,,was sonst gemacht werden könnte?"

If none of this makes sense, tell me, and I'll try again. I'm not very good at explaining stuff.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.