The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Slightly irrelevant to the whole Results Day thing, but as an English Literature fresher-to-be this video made me laugh so much! http://cambridge.tab.co.uk/2013/06/06/tabtvs-the-supervision/
Original post by TheMagicMan
If anyone even asks you your a level results at cambridge (which is unlikely), and thinks you stupid for them, **** them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is a joke here that has ready made itself but it's so lame and crude I'm afraid to post it.

Oh well.

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by iamsherlocked
Slightly irrelevant to the whole Results Day thing, but as an English Literature fresher-to-be this video made me laugh so much! http://cambridge.tab.co.uk/2013/06/06/tabtvs-the-supervision/

I saw that a few weeks ago and thought it was hilarious!
Reply 3623
Original post by ukdragon37
Yes there are mocks :teehee:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 3624
**** seriously?

Kind of takes the 'mock' out of mock :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Certainly wasn't true for us, though it depends on the supervisor. In second year, I had a macro supervisor who took them very seriously, setting one at the start of Lent and Easter and awarding prizes. And I had a micro supervisor who told us which exam paper it was going to be beforehand, encouraged us not to look, and forgot to bring paper. So, it varies.
The most impressive was my DoS in first year, who set one mock to cover three separate papers, emailed us scores for each part of the paper... and then never mentioned it again.

I don't think in most cases they're taken that seriously - like at school, they're meant to be an inducement to revise and to give you experience of sitting a "real" paper under "real" conditions, which you won't have done until that point. And my policy, especially towards the end of finals was always to look ahead - "Is this really going to help me get a better Tripos grade?". And if not? Stuff it, it's probably not worth it.

Cryptic crossword clue perfect for you here: Singer having run in one club, say (4)

XD
Original post by bananarama2
Cryptic crossword clue perfect for you here: Singer having run in one club, say (4)

XD

Cryptic crosswords are the bane of my existence. The clues seem to follow arbitrary rules which few people other than the question setter themselves are privy to; in the whole of my existence I have managed to figure out 3 or 4 cryptic clues across 10 to 20 cryptic crosswords and I think half of those clues were only because they were Maths related e.g. "covert operation has both magnitude and direction (6)". Give me a Kakuro or Killer Sudoku over them any day.

Made my evening

Spoiler

Original post by sickoftheslaughter
Hi there, I was lucky enough to get a place yesterday after just getting AAA, and I am over the moon! However, I'm slightly worried all the other students on my course will judge me/think I'm stupid, even though I have been really ill and was barely able to go school, and therefore they were pretty good considering. Will people look down on me because of them?

My friend said that once you get to uni, a levels are completely irrelevant and no one asks you about them!
Original post by DJMayes
Cryptic crosswords are the bane of my existence. The clues seem to follow arbitrary rules which few people other than the question setter themselves are privy to; in the whole of my existence I have managed to figure out 3 or 4 cryptic clues across 10 to 20 cryptic crosswords and I think half of those clues were only because they were Maths related e.g. "covert operation has both magnitude and direction (6)". Give me a Kakuro or Killer Sudoku over them any day.

That's why they are cryptic :tongue: I'm really bad at them too. I get a third of the way through one before asking my dad for clues. :tongue:

Operation in that clue indicates an anagram of covert and the definition is has both magnitude and direction. It's just word play.
**** seriously?

Kind of takes the 'mock' out of mock :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, and given that DoS's other behaviour rest of the time, it's exactly the sort of thing he would do.

Original post by lp386

Spoiler

Spoiler

I wonder if the college in question still gives out offer letters saying "this is conditional on you obtaining 2.1 or better in each year of your course". Thought that they'd realise giving those out in the past puts people off.

XD

I seriously have no idea :lolwut:

I seriously have no idea :lolwut:

The run gives an r and the "one club" refers to a bid in Bridge (something like that, I don't know much about bridge). Putting the r into bid gives bird. Singer is a type of bird.

I thought you'd like the Bridge reference :tongue:
The run gives an r and the "one club" refers to a bid in Bridge (something like that, I don't know much about bridge). Putting the r into bid gives bird. Singer is a type of bird.

I thought you'd like the Bridge reference :tongue:

Yes it's indeed a bid in Bridge, but it's a rather obscure reference from "one club" given the context :lolwut:
Yes it's indeed a bid in Bridge, but it's a rather obscure reference from "one club" given the context :lolwut:

I'm not feeling the cryptic crossword love on this thread :tongue: That's the idea! :biggrin:

How about maths ones: Group together make a score of nineteen, for example (5,2)
Reply 3634
Original post by sickoftheslaughter
Hi there, I was lucky enough to get a place yesterday after just getting AAA, and I am over the moon! However, I'm slightly worried all the other students on my course will judge me/think I'm stupid, even though I have been really ill and was barely able to go school, and therefore they were pretty good considering. Will people look down on me because of them?

Cambridge took you because they saw someone with real potential.......they didn't do it for any other reason. Your place as deserved as anyone else's......,indeed you must have been a particularly strong candidate to get in despite missed offer.....so hold your head up and see you at Cambridge in 2014!
Yes there are mocks :teehee:

Spoiler

Let's not scare everyone when they should be celebrating

(Did that even work? If someone said that to me I probably would tell them where to go...)
Original post by shamika
Let's not scare everyone when they should be celebrating

(Did that even work? If someone said that to me I probably would tell them where to go...)

[expand=Celebration-dampening stuff
What's actually carier was that normally telling someone it's your education and none of their business would be an option, if not for the college in question actually sending out offer letters worded in a way such that the guy is enabled (at least implicitly) to carry out his threat if necessary. :nothing:

It's hard to say whether the threat worked or not, since the students were worked hard the rest of the time in any case.

Ok I'll stop :teehee:
Reply 3637
Sure thing....I had my dos on my back all year cause of those STEP results....especially when I got a third on my mocks :teehee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow. :rofl:

St John's looks pretty chill though. Was it the DoS for pure maths that was on your back?
Original post by sparrowhawk4
Congratulations! I'm still waiting to be put out of my misery...

Thank you! And I'm sorry to hear that, have you heard now?

Original post by Etoile
Congrats!! :jumphug:

Thank you!! I'm over the moon. :h:

Original post by toomanycats
Many many congratulations, I remember you from the winter pool....what a lot of stress you've had, then and now. Enjoy your success!

Aha yes, I have been passed round from college to college it seems. :tongue: But I'm just happy that I can say with confidence now, "I'm going to Cambridge!"

I was about to reply to this saying that you have a good chance of being fished again as there was obviously something in your application which made them want to fish you the first time around... then I saw your later post saying that you'd been fished by Selwyn! Hurrah! Well done you! :smile:
And yes I am ecstatic, as I'm sure are you. It's only just starting to sink in with me, that I can actually be certain that I'm going to Cambridge in 414 days time :biggrin: I got a letter from Churchill this morning saying "please could you confirm by email that you intend to accept this place" which did make me laugh at the suggestion of the possibility that I might not!
Remembering the Winter Pool thread, you know i think you were the first person who ever said something to me on TSR when you complimented me on my username! :h:

Haha, good timing then it seems. :biggrin: And yes, I'm elated! I had convinced myself that I wasn't going to get in. And now I have, at a college I think I prefer to Magdalene also!
Yes, yesterday I still thought I was living in a dream with all the roller-coaster of emotions I've had, I wasn't quite sure whether I could trust myself to get truly happy. But now, it has started to sink in like you said, especially since I checked UCAS and they'd changed my offer to unconditional and that really set it in stone for me. :h:
Ha, that's funny! I think I may have asked you this before but what are you planning for your gap year?
Aw, well I'm privileged that I was your first. I assume you've seen the new Sherlock trailer? :tongue:
Original post by Powerfrau
I don't know- I haven't been rejected on UCAS, and haven't been notified that I'm in the summer pool, so I'm merely assuming.

Finally a rejection email and change of UCAS after 11 months of applications, interviews, winter pool letters, no letters, no communication, then open offer, then miss by 1%, then summer pool then down to last two people for course then rejection. What a long, stressful ride on top of exams and revision. Not sure I would recommend the ride to anyone. I am immensely proud of my daughter who will be a success wherever she goes and that she got so far in the whole process, but secretly feel it is their loss!

Latest

Trending

Trending