The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tigers
they fought for their independence.Scots can now vote without being killed.A no vote would mean nobody cares about Scotland and people are only interested in financial points.

Then give you're life for you're cause.

To try and imply Scots who don't support the YeSNP campaign don't care about Scotland is on the same level as saying that they're anti Scottish ( remember that claim from the delightful SNP MSP Joan MacAlpine?)

Remember that you hold the minority view on this one.....that may tell you something.
Reply 3581
Original post by Good bloke
Of the countries you mentioned, the only one that became independent after fighting a war for that independence was the USA. The standard of history teaching in schools appears to be at an all-time low.

you mean Indians didn't suffer any violence?
Reply 3582
Original post by MatureStudent36
Then give you're life for you're cause.

To try and imply Scots who don't support the YeSNP campaign don't care about Scotland is on the same level as saying that they're anti Scottish ( remember that claim from the delightful SNP MSP Joan MacAlpine?)

Remember that you hold the minority view on this one.....that may tell you something.

it doesn't matter SNP or any other politician of the moment.Vote is for Scotland to exist as a nation recognised by the world and gain its spot in history.If Scots vote against it it's legit to say that they don't care about Scotland.Why not?The Kurds are giving their lives to see an independent Kurdistan,the Chechens,the Irish and the Americans did it.
Of the countries you mentioned, the only one that became independent after fighting a war for that independence was the USA. The standard of history teaching in schools appears to be at an all-time low.

And that was with the back drop of the a European war I which the French, Spanish and Dutch were fighting against Britain.

Did you also know that most of the belligerents were actually American? It was American versus American mostly. The loyalists moved north when they lost and settled Canada.

The Americans tried to liberate Canada by invading in 1812 when Bonaparte was playing funny buggers. The Canadians soundly thrashed them and then marched on Washington and burnt down the presidential palace. Hence the name the Whitehouse.

I get the feeling that the SNP are missing a major backer for their cause? Maybe Russia or china? The yanks have pretty much told Salmond to do one and so has the EU.
Reply 3584

Did you also know that most of the belligerents were actually American? It was American versus American mostly. The loyalists moved north when they lost and settled Canada.

Nothing strange,betrayers and people who don't care at all about their country have always existed.Or should we say that Americans who were siding with the UK cared about the United States?
bad for scotland, good for rest of uk
Reply 3586
Original post by lucas13
bad for scotland, good for rest of uk

you can keep the Queen and the new King
Reply 3587
Original post by Tigers
Finance or political system shouldn't be the prime reason of the vote.It should be PRIDE.Scots,are you proud of Scotland and do you want your nation to exist and be recognised by the world?Then vote yes to independence like Americans,Australian,Canadians,Indians,South Africans did.

Er, none of these places were ever part of the United Kingdom. Nor did any of these places vote to become independent.

Nations are not states. If you believe in the concept of nations, which I don't, they do not have to be states in order to exist. They are two separate things. The overwhelming majority of groups of people who could be called 'nations' exist within larger states.
Reply 3588
Original post by Tigers
The Kurds are giving their lives to see an independent Kurdistan

Er, no they're not.

Original post by Tigers
you mean Indians didn't suffer any violence?

The Indians didn't fight for independence on any scale - indeed, there was a chap called Gandhi whose central point was that violence should never be resorted to. He became quite famous.
Reply 3589
Original post by L i b
Er, none of these places were ever part of the United Kingdom. Nor did any of these places vote to become independent.

Nations are not states. If you believe in the concept of nations, which I don't, they do not have to be states in order to exist. They are two separate things. The overwhelming majority of groups of people who could be called 'nations' exist within larger states.

some of them didn't have the right to vote.They had to gain independence with fights and deaths.It's on even today,Kurds keep getting massacred but still resist and sooner or later their courage will give them their independence.Scotland can choose to be an unknown region of the English 'Her Majesty's' reign or to have a place in history.Or 'Scotland the brave' wouldn't apply anymore
Original post by Tigers
Or 'Scotland the brave' wouldn't apply anymore

Ah! I see now. You get your perspective on history from films. Enough said.
Original post by Tigers
some of them didn't have the right to vote.They had to gain independence with fights and deaths.It's on even today,Kurds keep getting massacred but still resist and sooner or later their courage will give them their independence.Scotland can choose to be an unknown region of the English 'Her Majesty's' reign or to have a place in history.Or 'Scotland the brave' wouldn't apply anymore

That's right, we're all out to get you and Mel Gibson is first on the list. 'Fecking Inglash!'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tigers
Finance or political system shouldn't be the prime reason of the vote.It should be PRIDE.Scots,are you proud of Scotland and do you want your nation to exist and be recognised by the world?Then vote yes to independence like Americans,Australian,Canadians,Indians,South Africans did.

I thought you hated Nationalism? all this talk of pride makes this post stink of it
Reply 3593
Ah! I see now. You get your perspective on history from films. Enough said.

what films?I've been hearing 'Scotland the brave' and 'tartan army' chants everytime I was there.
Reply 3594
Original post by DavidSilvaMCFC
I thought you hated Nationalism? all this talk of pride makes this post stink of it

Nationalism that leads to atrocities is bad but pride and independence are right.The English are hypocrites because they downplay Scottish nationalism and then hate the EU superstate project.
Reply 3595
Original post by Tigers

Care to name which nations fought for their independence? Once you name them I'll show you which ones were already being granted independence and the nationalist movements that fought for independence were in fact minority groupings that tried to use force put their political movement in a stronger position.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Charter
Original post by Tigers
Nationalism that leads to atrocities is bad but pride and independence are right.The English are hypocrites because they downplay Scottish nationalism and then hate the EU superstate project.

What about the majority of scots who don't hold you're viewpoint? What are we?
Original post by Tigers

So vandalism based on *******s is the way forward? How am I enslaved?
Reply 3599
What about the majority of scots who don't hold you're viewpoint? What are we?

then they don't care about Scotland.Is Scotland a nation?Then it should be independent like France,Germany,Canada or others otherwise it's a smaller entity

Latest

Trending

Trending