The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7480
Original post by MatureStudent36
So you have no answers then?

Seperation at any cost and to he'll with the consequences.

It's quite laughable really isn't it? I had one CyberNat earlier trying to tell me that Scottish independence would create two new states and that the UK would lose it's seat on the UN Security Council as well as have to reapply for EU membership. They make it up as they go along.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Boab
Yes they are.

And this illustrates my main point on this thread. Me and thee will never agree on the values of independence so it actually bores me to talk about it.
My point is that all the NO camp that are so sure they are going to win are the ones who need a reality check.

It'll be damn close I'm sure whatever way it goes.

I agree entirely.
Reply 7482
Original post by euphful
It's quite laughable really isn't it? I had one CyberNat earlier trying to tell me that Scottish independence would create two new states and that the UK would lose it's seat on the UN Security Council as well as have to reapply for EU membership. They make it up as they go along.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's your point caller?

Some tramp with a Better Together badge telt me David Cameron would invade Scotland if we voted Yes.

There are idiots on both sides of the debate!
Original post by Boab
His crayoning is more impressive than your basic sense of numeracy

52% = 2/3 duh!

52% is just under two thirds.

Original post by Boab
What? You need to stick to crayoning whilst you go back and do some primary school maths :s-smilie:

Original post by Midlander
I'd like to know how you conclude that 52 is just less than 66?

He calls himself MatureStudent but even a primary school child could tell him that 52% is nowhere near 2/3rds (67%).

Do you know why he keeps asking the same questions over and over again?

He is a broken record stuck at a certain point and anything beyond that point is beyond him.

What credibilty does someone who claims 52% is just under 2/3rds have on any other point even a little bit more complex than basic arithmetic?
Reply 7484
By the by, long term, well, probably not that far off now, the UK will lose that security council seat. Holding onto it with our fingernails already.
Original post by Maths Tutor
He calls himself MatureStudent but even a primary school child could tell him that 52% is nowhere near 2/3rds (67%).

Do you know why he keeps asking the same questions over and over again?

He is a broken record stuck at a certain point and anything beyond that point is beyond him.

What credibilty does someone who claims 52% is just under 2/3rds have on any other point even a little bit more complex than basic arithmetic?

Git a little confidence back now.

I sound like a broken record be a use there's been no answers yet.
Original post by Boab
By the by, long term, well, probably not that far off now, the UK will lose that security council seat. Holding onto it with our fingernails already.

My god. You're one of Tommy Sheridans mob.

Now I know you're a minority.

Tell me again what the results have been like in mock referendums at Scottish schools, colleges and universities?
Reply 7487
Original post by Boab
What's your point caller?

Some tramp with a Better Together badge telt me David Cameron would invade Scotland if we voted Yes.

There are idiots on both sides of the debate!

It's an argument that gets thrown around quite a lot though.

I can't really see as the 'yes' campaign is really engaged in the debate at all. They seem to think they can call the shots and the rest of the world will yield to their demands just because they may end up with a little bit of oil!

They'll be fast-tracked in to the EU, because Salmond says so.

They'll have a currency union, because Salmond says so (we'll ignore the fact that the people most likely to be PM and Chancellor next year have ruled it out).

If I was Scottish I'd want something more than vague hope!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7488
My god. You're one of Tommy Sheridans mob.

Nope. Wrong again.
Reply 7489
Original post by Boab

Really? And how do you propose reform of the UNSC would happen? And what's your basis for saying we're holding on to it with our 'fingernails'.

The only way we could give up our seat is if we voted to.

Won't happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7490
Original post by euphful
Really? And how do you propose reform of the UNSC would happen? And what's your basis for saying we're holding on to it with our 'fingernails'.

The only way we could give up our seat is if we voted to.

Won't happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You think because we hold a veto we can stop reform? Really?!

The situation where 5 countries hold a veto on the basis that they won the war is, in the modern world untenable.

John Major and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office disagree with you for starters.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4aceef46-6679-11e3-aa10-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2xTRjpDNe
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/9616006/Britains-enemies-will-exploit-Scottish-independence-to-cut-UK-power.html
Reply 7491
Original post by Boab
You think because we hold a veto we can stop reform? Really?!

The situation where 5 countries hold a veto on the basis that they won the war is, in the modern world untenable.

John Major and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office disagree with you for starters.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4aceef46-6679-11e3-aa10-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2xTRjpDNe
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/9616006/Britains-enemies-will-exploit-Scottish-independence-to-cut-UK-power.html

I think it's quite a leap you're making; official legal advice to the UK government says otherwise.

You misunderstand, I'm an advocate of UNSC reform, but you are misguided if you think it can happen without he say so of the five permanent members. There is no mechanism for that to happen, and there is no will amongst the P5 for change to happen. Sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L i b
Have you ever considered giving a serious response that isn't juvenile and steeped in your trademark anti-Englishness? I'm Scottish, live in Scotland, and even I'm a target for your xenophobia. That should tell you something.

It is the trademark of No Scotland to label anyone who is pro Independence as anti-English.

I am not anti-English and have not made a single anti-English comment on this thread or anywhere else.

You are on the record as saying you hate being Scottish.

You might be of Scottish origin but I very much doubt that you live in Scotland.

Your posts leave no doubt whatsoever that you are a trademark British Nationalist flying the biggest British Nationalist symbol of all - the Royal Navy flag - Britannia ruling the waves.

If you are pro EU as you have claimed, why don't you fly the EU flag instead of the Royal Navy?

Can you now finally admit that you were talking utter nonsense when claiming that after a Yes vote, rUK could negotiate Scotland's entry to the EU, otherwise Scotland would have to wait for years?

How on earth can a 'foreign' country negotiate someone else's entry into an international organisation?

Did Russia negotiate the former Soviet republics' memberships of the UN?

Like your disciples MatureStudent36 and Midlander, you lie on this thread and when challenged to substantiate your lies, distort others' posts and call them all sorts of things.
It is the trademark of No Scotland to label anyone who is pro Independence as anti-English.

I am not anti-English and have not made a single anti-English comment on this thread or anywhere else.

You might be of Scottish origin but I very much doubt that you live in Scotland.

Your posts leave no doubt whatsoever that you are a trademark British Nationalist flying the biggest British Nationalist symbol of all - the Royal Navy flag - Britannia ruling the waves.

If you are pro EU as you have claimed, why don't you fly the EU flag instead of the Royal Navy?

Can you now finally admit that you were talking utter nonsense when claiming that after a Yes vote, rUK could negotiate Scotland's entry to the EU, otherwise Scotland would have to wait for years?

How on earth can a 'foreign' country negotiate someone else's entry into an international organisation?

Like your disciples MatureStudent36 and Midlander, you lie on this thread and when challenged to substantiate your lies, distort others' posts and call them all sorts of things.

You are slightly unhinged though aren't you?

You're sense of paranoia and misrepresentation of the truth have become legendary on its forum.

But feel free to carry on. Out do more damage to your cause than you realise.
Never under estimate how low labour will stoop.

Would be interesting to hear what Labour party member and your fellow traveller Midlander has to say about that.

'Better Together' indeed - the Blue Tories and the Red Tories and the Yellow Tories and the Purple Tories.

'Better Together' for themselves, but certainly not for the vast majority of the people of Scotland.

If all the other parties are pseudo Tories who don't care about Scotland, why do the SNP only carry a majority of 1 in Holyrood?

As always, you missed the point.

You, a Labour party member, are in the same boat as the likes of MatureStudent36 who is of the opinion "Never under estimate how low labour will stoop."

That is what the Tories think of you lot, including the likes of Gordon Brown, Alistair Darling, Johann Lamont, Ian Davidson, Ed Milliband, Ed Balls etc., etc., etc., in other words YOUR party leaders.

What do you say to that?
Labour has virtually never needed Scotland to get in. What is left of the UK will be quite happy to be rid of those whining folk from north of the border who complain about having the second highest levels of public expenditure in the country and more devolution than its neighbours can dream of. Scotland wants to be bribed to stay in the UK-I say RUK shouldn't be held to ransom for these self righteous, whinging bigots and let them go if being in the UK is such a chore.

Why do YOU want to keep Scotland a part of the UK???????????

And don't give me that mantra 'We are Better Together'
It may surprise you to know that Scotland's biggest export customer doesn't take kindly to being insulted ad nauseum from across the border.

Why does it not let it go then??????????
Reply 7497

Any EU member can veto the application of membership for another state. It only takes one veto for it to be a 'no'. Therefore, the UK could block Scotland becoming a member of the EU. That's how it works I'm afraid.

Scotland would have to apply again; the rUK would be the continuing state so would remain a member of the EU. Scotland would be the new state and would not automatically be a member.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by euphful
the rUK would be the continuing state so would remain a member of the EU. Scotland would be the new state and would not automatically be a member.

A 'new' state would not have to inherit a share of the National Debt of the 'continuing state'.

What do you say to that?

And in case you didn't know, the UK's National Debt stands at around 1.3 TRILLION POUNDS STERLING.

Scotland a new state = No share of the UK National Debt

Sounds very appealing to me.

rUK can take its weapons of mass destruction, remain a member of the EU, remain a member of the UN Security Council. It wouldn't bother me one bit.

As a 'new' state, I have no doubt whatsoever that Scotland would very soon be welcomed into the EU, NATO and the UN.

Scotland is very well known and has an extremely good reputation throughout the world.
Reply 7499
A 'new' state would not have to inherit a share of the National Debt of the 'continuing state'.

What do you say to that?

And in case you didn't know, the UK's National Debt stands at around 1.3 TRILLION POUNDS STERLING.

Scotland a new state = No share of the UK National Debt

Sounds very appealing to me.

rUK can take its weapons of mass destruction, remain a member of the EU, remain a member of the UN Security Council. It wouldn't bother me one bit.

As a 'new' state, I have no doubt whatsoever that Scotland would very soon be welcomed into the EU, NATO and the UN.

Scotland is very well known and has an extremely good reputation throughout the world.

The thing is, not accepting your share of the national debt is hardly going to do that reputation any good now is it?

Frankly, the debt issue doesn't bother me too much. Not as much as the idea of a dangerous currency union.

The EU could be difficult, NATO even more so if Scotland insists on removing the UK's nuclear deterrent from it's established base.

You mustn't think I'm being deliberately negative; international law and precedent is clear on such issues.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending