The Student Room Group

Spent my whole youth on the computer...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Chris195
DELETE all the old memories, you can't aF4rd to be wasting time sitting in front of a computer all the time. I'm guessing you had a crap diet too? Many big MACS and not enough APPLES.. Hmmm

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

negged ONLY because you went all l33t on us
I don't see the cause for alarm.
OMG. I'm so dying from all these computer jokes up in here! :rofl: :rofl:
Well, getting off TSR would be a good start.
Reply 24
Original post by Anonymous
I turn 18 soon and since the age of 11 I have been going to school then coming home and spending the whole time in the computer, even eating all my meals in front if it.

I now feel so regretful and annoyed at myself. Any advice?

Doing what

Posted from TSR Mobile
go see a psychologist

seriously
Reply 26
I did too. I wouldn't regret it. I'd start figuring out what you want to do in life and if spending more days in front of the computer doesn't conform to that, then work on cutting down on it. Otherwise, TSR's always here.
Original post by Id and Ego seek
I don't see the cause for alarm.

he has very underdeveloped social skills

he probably has little to no friends

please, if you ever have children, read up on how to be a good parent

i know someone who killed himself because he knew no way of making social connections

to op

i repeat myself, get help,

i feel for you man, if you need any help pm me
Original post by iknowi2
Calm down, breath slowly and clear some SPACE in your head.

EDIT: :frown:

killed it
Original post by pg_maths
have found it very enjoyable to 'fiddle' with something more hands on like that; might even learn some DIY skills in the meantime.

Do those D.I.Y Skills involve a pretty phat screwdriver.

On the actual topic maybe it's time to open a new TAB in your life, and SHIFT your focus away from the computer. If you can ALTernate your outlook and DELETE the ant-social hours of your life wasted then you might be able to ESCape your issues and regain CTRL, thus ENTERing a new phase and bringing and END to the screengazing that is obviously bothering you, and a good way to spend less time at HOME. To be honest I need to spend less time on the computer too, but not quite on that scale, perhaps I just need to INSERT a little self belief and motivation to get some form of life.
Original post by Dukeofwembley
he has very underdeveloped social skills

he probably has little to no friends

please, if you ever have children, read up on how to be a good parent

i know someone who killed himself because he knew no way of making social connections

to op

i repeat myself, get help,

i feel for you man, if you need any help pm me

Uh, through the Internet?

And why didn't you help him make friends? :tongue:

I love how you criticise my apparent parenting skills but think it's something that can be 'read up' on. OK.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Callumhamby
killed it

Indeed, indeed.
Reply 32
That is the thing, you regret the past because you believe that you've done nothing.. Ask yourself why does that bother you? you can do everything you want tomorow and when you are 18+ I found out that it only bothered me because I tried to predict my future and when at what age I might die. What I am planning now is to do something that I can look back at and laugh about. (currently saving for a walking trip from London to Paris and maybe Amsterdam) My point is that this is a good thing, you have realised what you don't want and all you have to do now is believe that you don't know what is going to happen in the future so just live it the way you actually want to, make a cool memory every month, every two months or every year.
Reply 33
Sounds somewhat like me haha. Aside from school and college I hardly go out unless it's the occasional birthday party or if I get forced. I don't see any problem though. Watching too much anime probably made me lose interest in the average people. I don't bother investing time and effort unless they are weirdos - but where I am, there are hardly any crazy weirdos that aren't serial killers.
Original post by SillyRodent
Yeah it sounds like you don't watch enough TV or xbox, manage your time a bit better in future.

Sorry, didn't mean to give you a negative rating - I have fat fingers!
I remember how **** life was before broadband internet... you should be grateful that you never had to 'make your own entertainment'...
Original post by iknowi2
Calm down, breath slowly and clear some SPACE in your head.

EDIT: :frown:

please dont give up

social skills can be learnt

go to uni

rip gary chauhan
Reply 38
I don't see why that is a problem if you are comfortable with it. I am similar to you in that respect but I think that I have gained far more than I would going out socializing with my peers as I found most, if not all of them to be pretty standard and as a result I turned to the internet to find more interesting things.

With the internet you have tons of resources, I personally spend most of my youth reading science, philosophy, maths, technology and just anything that interest me really off the internet, engage or observe tons of discussion in internet forums. Thanks to that I have been able to develop a scientific worldview with a firm logical basis as well as many skills relating to computer use in general and some pretty nice knowledge over many subjects. The time spent alone also got me contemplating about the more philosophical aspects of life and how it relates to my long term goals as well as how science fits in neatly. The problem with people spending tons of time on the internet is that they just spend it all on traditional entertainment. Yes I play computer games ( tons I might add) and watch movies but learning new stuff and developing yourself like an RPG is pretty great.

It's not spending your youth on the computer that is a problem. It's how you spend it.
Original post by Raza098
Sorry, didn't mean to give you a negative rating - I have fat fingers!

Well thanks for your gentlemanly apology and commiserations on the girth of your fingers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending