The Student Room Group

Accenture horizons scheme 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by studentuser
Hi, I have secured a place on the horizons scheme- so I just had a few questions for you.
Are there many other people on the scheme and how many? Do Accenture help with finding accommodation in London? Are there many social events ? Can you get involved in any clubs?

Hey, congratulations! it's a tough thing to get a place on so well done.

In my start group there was 55 interns and we all started at the same time. 36 were gap year interns and 19 were industrial placement interns.

In terms of accommodation.. Accenture provide you with £500 to help with relocation costs but that's as far as the help goes. One thing i would recommend though.. If you live anywhere near London (within a couple of hours i'd say) then wait until youve started to see if you need accommodation or not. The majority of interns this year were placed on an out of town project where you would stay in a hotel/apartment that Accenture pay for during the week an then will pay for transport to and from your home each weekend so paying extortionate amounts for accommodation in London is pointless if that's the case. I cant say you'll be on an out of town project for definite though. I had to get a flat as I was coming from Belfast but will be have been on an out of town project for my whole internship.

The interns usually have a monthly event, plus breakfasts and lunches etc plus the standard 'office christmas party'. Events we've done have involved going to bars which have been hired out for us, 'posh' bowling, and dinners etc. You'll also have plenty of social opportunities on your project (especially on an out of town one). On my project we try and go out for dinner as a group as much as possible, cinema trips, christmas party in a castle, karting and plenty of nights out.

In terms of clubs.. there's loads at Accenture. Plenty of diversity based groups such as an Ethnicity one, one for women, an LGBT one and then plenty of sports teams, hockey, rugby, ski team and theyh all have tours. Also things such as wine tasting and things like that. It's a lot easier to get involved in things if youre based on a London project but being on one out of London doesnt stop you!

Hope this has made it seem more interesting and if you have any more questions, feel free to pm me.
Reply 21
Original post by peter1412

In my start group there was 55 interns and we all started at the same time. 36 were gap year interns and 19 were industrial placement interns.

In terms of accommodation.. Accenture provide you with £500 to help with relocation costs but that's as far as the help goes. One thing i would recommend though.. If you live anywhere near London (within a couple of hours i'd say) then wait until youve started to see if you need accommodation or not. The majority of interns this year were placed on an out of town project where you would stay in a hotel/apartment that Accenture pay for during the week an then will pay for transport to and from your home each weekend so paying extortionate amounts for accommodation in London is pointless if that's the case. I cant say you'll be on an out of town project for definite though. I had to get a flat as I was coming from Belfast but will be have been on an out of town project for my whole internship.

The interns usually have a monthly event, plus breakfasts and lunches etc plus the standard 'office christmas party'. Events we've done have involved going to bars which have been hired out for us, 'posh' bowling, and dinners etc. You'll also have plenty of social opportunities on your project (especially on an out of town one). On my project we try and go out for dinner as a group as much as possible, cinema trips, christmas party in a castle, karting and plenty of nights out.

In terms of clubs.. there's loads at Accenture. Plenty of diversity based groups such as an Ethnicity one, one for women, an LGBT one and then plenty of sports teams, hockey, rugby, ski team and theyh all have tours. Also things such as wine tasting and things like that. It's a lot easier to get involved in things if youre based on a London project but being on one out of London doesnt stop you!

Hope this has made it seem more interesting and if you have any more questions, feel free to pm me.

Hi,

The website mentions a pro-rota salary of 18k, but how much do you actually earn? And how many hours do you work per week?

thanks
Reply 22
Original post by GPODT
Hi,

The website mentions a pro-rota salary of 18k, but how much do you actually earn? And how many hours do you work per week?

thanks

well obviously because you're only working 8 months you get two thirds of the 18000 so 12000. Then minus tax. I dont really want to get into specifics of my pay but it varies from month to month as your use up your tax free allowance. It's more than you'd earn than most jobs an 18 year can do.

In terms of working hours it varies greatly. There are no set hours and it varies on your project. I personally work from half 8 until about 6 or half 6 but i know people who leave earlier than that and people who leave later. You get an hour for lunch as well.

Hi again. Thanks for all that information!
I'm still in 2 minds about whether to do the scheme or not. Partly as I would have to live in London on my own and accommodation will take up most of my salary. But also unsure if I will enjoy it or not.
Would you recommend it? How has your experience been?
Pm me if you like
Reply 24
Hey,

I am a current Horizons intern so if you have any questions, let me know! good luck!

Hi, im just wondering, I received an email saying I had gained an interview on the 6th of March saying that they would tell me in 3 days that I would be told a date for it, but I still haven't heard? Should I be worried and email them asking when it is? Thanks!
Reply 25
Original post by platoon412
Hi, im just wondering, I received an email saying I had gained an interview on the 6th of March saying that they would tell me in 3 days that I would be told a date for it, but I still haven't heard? Should I be worried and email them asking when it is? Thanks!

I'd say it couldn't hurt sending an email! they can be notoriously slow sometimes though.
Reply 26
Original post by studentuser
Hi again. Thanks for all that information!
I'm still in 2 minds about whether to do the scheme or not. Partly as I would have to live in London on my own and accommodation will take up most of my salary. But also unsure if I will enjoy it or not.
Would you recommend it? How has your experience been?
Pm me if you like

Hey,

experience has been good but with its negs as well. The best thing about it is that it looks incredible on your CV. Accenture is highly regarded all over the world! It's obviously no your standard gap year so it won't be for everyone.. It's still good though and if youre interested in business then i'd go for it.
Reply 27
Hey,

I am a current Horizons intern so if you have any questions, let me know! good luck!

Hi again!
I got through the telephone interview- thanks for your help. I've got my AC on thursday, and I'm pretty worried about it. What is the in-tray like, because I can't seem to find any examples? Also do you have any advice on the structure of the day and how you'd go about things?
Thank you so so much!!
Reply 28
From what i've heard the AC has changed significantly this year. I didnt have to do an in-tray at all. I did, however, have to do one at deloitte so i can probably give you some help from that. Basically stay calm, it shouldnt take you the whole time so just read the background materials first so you understand the context then start the exercise.. All i can say is really just be yourself and don't overpower anyone. If there's a group activity, dont worry about being the one who takes control. The guy who did that in mine didnt actually get hired.

Good luck!
Reply 29
A lot of it is to do with technology, but your exposure to the tech side of things is limited. A lot of interns work within the Project Management Office which involves reporting and helping to ensure the project runs on time and on budget. I'm currently on a project just outside Cardiff so means i travel up from London each week (Mon-Thurs) and stay in a hotel which is quite nice :smile:

Saying that it's fairly difficult to explain what I actually do! haha

Hi,

Are the travel costs paid for by Accenture?
Reply 30
Original post by GPODT
Hi,

Are the travel costs paid for by Accenture?

Sorry for the incredibly late reply. If you're on a project in London then no theyre not. But if you're on a project outside of London then yes.
Sorry for the incredibly late reply. If you're on a project in London then no theyre not. But if you're on a project outside of London then yes.

For the section that asks you to list 'any iT or technical skills or qualifications'
I don't actually have any formal qualifications in ICT and I'm not certain what other 'technical skills' they're looking for. Do I just write Not Applicable and then move on? Any pointers? Thank you :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by SarahAlexis
For the section that asks you to list 'any iT or technical skills or qualifications'
I don't actually have any formal qualifications in ICT and I'm not certain what other 'technical skills' they're looking for. Do I just write Not Applicable and then move on? Any pointers? Thank you :smile:

If you're proficient in the use of Excel of microsoft office at at then write something about that :smile:
Reply 33
If you're proficient in the use of Excel of microsoft office at at then write something about that :smile:

Hi Peter

Thanks for all the useful info :smile:
I only recently decided to take a gap year. So in addition to applying for year in industry I've come across the Accenture Horizons scheme.
However, I have my A2 exams starting in 3 weeks time .. I have opened up and started an application online but I'm afraid that my interview and then maybe assessment centre may come midway through my exams.
When do you think is the deadline to apply ? My exams finish on the 20th of June.

Thanks a lot in advance! :smile:
Hiya,

I have my first exam in a few days and i applied for the scheme really late too and had my interview day last week and am waiting to hear back! When i was told i got though to the interview day I asked if i could do it after my exams etc and they said that i could if i wanted but that the places are filling up so it was best to do it sooner rather than later! Its only afternoon in London and you can sort of revise on the train :smile: my advise would be to do it now because i think you have more chance of getting it!

Best of luck xx
Reply 35
Original post by CiaraMcMahon
Hiya,

I have my first exam in a few days and i applied for the scheme really late too and had my interview day last week and am waiting to hear back! When i was told i got though to the interview day I asked if i could do it after my exams etc and they said that i could if i wanted but that the places are filling up so it was best to do it sooner rather than later! Its only afternoon in London and you can sort of revise on the train :smile: my advise would be to do it now because i think you have more chance of getting it!

Best of luck xx

Thanks so much for your reply.
I did apply a few days ago and got my telephone interview tomorrow in the afternoon.
Fingers crossed that goes well and I get through to the assessment centre before my exams start!
:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
From what i've heard the AC has changed significantly this year. I didnt have to do an in-tray at all. I did, however, have to do one at deloitte so i can probably give you some help from that. Basically stay calm, it shouldnt take you the whole time so just read the background materials first so you understand the context then start the exercise.. All i can say is really just be yourself and don't overpower anyone. If there's a group activity, dont worry about being the one who takes control. The guy who did that in mine didnt actually get hired.

Good luck!

Hi peter i'm considering applying to the scheme this year and applying for oxford during my gap year at the same time. Is this feasable, considering the hours per day at accenture and the preparation time needed for oxford. Would like to know before i fully commit myself to trying to get a place, as the application process for the scheme seems like it requires a fair amount of effort.
Hello,
Can someone tell me what they mean about 'salary expectation', is that for the programme or what you expect to earn in the future?
Reply 38
Hi Peter I have been invited to a telephone interview for Accenture, can you please let me know what may asked or come up in the telephone interview and what it is based on.

Any help will be very much appreciated,
Thank you.
Umair

Quick Reply

Latest