The Student Room Group

How can I appear more empathetical?

Not sure what's wrong with me, but I lack empathy... It's caused me problems in the past as I come across as a cold, selfish prick when in reality I do like the person I'm talking to.

In the past, it's caused me problems when my baby died, grandfather died and best friends father died. I just came across as a guy who didn't give a **** but in reality I wasn't happy, whatsoever. So when people came to comfort me, they said, "don't worry, he doesn't care anyway." So in turn people started to become cold to me. How do you think my best friend reacted when he found out I apparently didn't care? I got demoted to his acquantaince!

Today at work it was obvious to me. Some women I was shagging had a car crash and everyone at work was talking about it and was worried. They looked at me and I'll be honest, I didn't really care as such... It's not like I don't like her because I do, trust me! But they gave me a cold look. My work friend who I became close with was joking along with me because of mental problems each other said. I said "Yeah, I lack empathy and have to fake my emotions sometimes!" (I tried to sound jokingly) and he said "Yeah I know! I'm good at reading emotions and it's obvious you got no empathy and I thought it was true about the emotions part!" I said "I was joking!"...

Usually I'm good at reading emotions. I can tell if a person is happy, angry etc and as such I communicate with them. However, I often miss the ques when they are being sarcastic, trying to tell a joke etc and so I come across as a dumbass.

So how can I change myself and look like I got empathy? I don't want to be lonely in this work place also as well as at home!

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Asperger's?
Reply 2
Original post by ilikedesiwomen
Asperger's?

Lack of empathy is the only trait of the AS I have. I'm perfectly fine in social situations, have no social anxiety problems and have no other traits such as obsession etc.
Reply 3
Sociopath...

It's easy. Just pretend you care. Do what other people do. Look sad. Be quieter/louder than normal.
Reply 4
Without trying to be rude or scare you, this sounds a little bit like you might be somewhere on the autism spectrum. I'm similar and people have suggested the same to me although it's never caused a problem so it's never been tested. Have you considered getting checked for this?
Reply 5
Original post by Katie_p
Sociopath...

It's easy. Just pretend you care. Do what other people do. Look sad. Be quieter/louder than normal.

I highly doubt I'm the new Ted Bundy. I have no interest in killing people.

Original post by ellieHA
Without trying to be rude or scare you, this sounds a little bit like you might be somewhere on the autism spectrum. I'm similar and people have suggested the same to me although it's never caused a problem so it's never been tested. Have you considered getting checked for this?

I have tested and I'm not anywhere on the AS. I have a score of 8 where you need 26 or so to be considered to have a mild form. I've also never been diagnosed when I was a kid. They didn't think I had anything on the AS then either. My mum was worried something was wrong with me when I was young and had me checked out but saw nothing was particularly wrong. I thought autistic people had trouble talking to people and such? I florish at social outings and do love to be in the conversations. My topics are always of interest and I never repeat my subjects. :tongue: I can tell when people are getting bored and stuff and so I can change subject if need be. The only trait as far as I'm aware is the empathy part. It's highly possible this is the only negative trait I have.
Original post by Anonymous
Lack of empathy is the only trait of the AS I have. I'm perfectly fine in social situations, have no social anxiety problems and have no other traits such as obsession etc.

Look up sociopathic/psychopathic tendencies.

Surprisingly enough they don't suddenly = serial killer.

Still if it worries you that much, talk to your doctor and get a referral to a psychiatrist.
Reply 7
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
Look up sociopathic/psychopathic tendencies.

Surprisingly enough they don't suddenly = serial killer.

Still if it worries you that much, talk to your doctor and get a referral to a psychiatrist.

If I saw a psychiatrist, wouldn't that cause problems with my job? Considering I work in care and all? I doubt my job would take kindly to, Mr. xx has been diagnosed as a psychopath..

To my surprise I have got a fair few traits when I searched wikipedia, though, I'm not promiscious, I don't use people for "parasitic lifestyle" and I haven't been in jail in my life.
Reply 8
If I saw a psychiatrist, wouldn't that cause problems with my job? Considering I work in care and all? I doubt my job would take kindly to, Mr. xx has been diagnosed as a psychopath..

To my surprise I have got a fair few traits when I searched wikipedia, though, I'm not promiscious, I don't use people for "parasitic lifestyle" and I haven't been in jail in my life.

You can have psychopathic/sociopathic traits without actually being a psychopath. Also i'm pretty sure you wouldn't be allowed to be discriminated against. Unless you were psychopathic to the point of actively aiming to harm other people there should be no reason that your job should suffer. Can you check your contract in regards to this?

You can't really appear to be more empathetic. You either are or you aren't :P Maybe this is just how you deal with things. You could explain to your fellow workers that this is the case and maybe they'll understand you then.

Thing is, the way you describe this woman and your not caring about what happened to her seems like you're lacking something. Again, i'm not trying to be offensive, but it's not a typical or 'normal' reaction.
^Why are some of you labeling him with potential disorders? He said he doesn't know how to show empathy, not that he isn't empathetic.

I have a little bit of a similar issue, but I think it's due to habit of keeping my emotions in check and intact.
Reply 10
I have similar problems
Reply 11
Original post by ellieHA
You can have psychopathic/sociopathic traits without actually being a psychopath. Also i'm pretty sure you wouldn't be allowed to be discriminated against. Unless you were psychopathic to the point of actively aiming to harm other people there should be no reason that your job should suffer. Can you check your contract in regards to this?

You can't really appear to be more empathetic. You either are or you aren't :P Maybe this is just how you deal with things. You could explain to your fellow workers that this is the case and maybe they'll understand you then.

Thing is, the way you describe this woman and your not caring about what happened to her seems like you're lacking something. Again, i'm not trying to be offensive, but it's not a typical or 'normal' reaction.

I'm sure there's a discrimacy policy but towards people with mental health? I work with people with mental health! :tongue: No, I don't want to harm other people. (though, who doesn't feel rage when someone upsets/mocks you?) Thanks for your post but I'm used to people thinking I'm a cold hearted prick and truth of th matter is that they expect you to be upset when something bad happens. I admit my reaction is not "normal" otherwise I wouldn't have used it as an example. :tongue:

Original post by WildBerrySpirit
^Why are some of you labeling him with potential disorders? He said he doesn't know how to show empathy, not that he isn't empathetic.

I have a little bit of a similar issue, but I think it's due to habit of keeping my emotions in check and intact.

Thanks for trying to defend me but unfortunately I don't feel empathy and because of that I can't show it when being casual. This often leads to me humously trying to pretend to be sad. (it's a lot harder than it looks) and trying to apolegise when it's obvious I'm not sorry.

I do want to appear that I care for people more because generally I do like these people. I also don't want to be lonely and isolated like I was in my last job. (I was in the army for 5 years and basically everyone hated me).

Thanks guys.
Reply 12
Anyone else?
Reply 13
I don't feel empathy and because of that I can't show it when being casual.

If you don't feel anything when people who you've had contact with are hurt, then it sounds like you have psychopathic tendencies, which isn't the same as being violent/murderous/emotionally dead. When you discount being manipulative, if you actually are naturally manipulative you'd be unlikely to know as that's simply how you grew up and see as a natural part of human interaction (a sort of "fish don't have a word for water" thing).

As for a practical solution, just try and emulate how other behave, if not look. When everyone's in a sombre mood, just don't smile and stay relatively silent compared to your regular self as you'll seem like you're lost in thought over the sadness of the situation. Also, ask your GP as even if your not a psychopath there may be some neurological basis for your lack of empathy that can be fixed.
Reply 14
Original post by Katie_p
Sociopath...

If he were a sociopath he would have no empathy but be able to fake it.
Reply 15
Its quite humorous how people are jumping the gun and labeling you a sociopath :tongue: might as well diagnose what kind of a sociopath you are while we're at it soo.. :

There seems to be a difference between the made sociopath (one who's lived a life with a childhood that pushed them into the mind state of a sociopath) and the "true" sociopath (one who is born a sociopath.)
- Common Sociopath: simple lack of conscious.
- Alienated Sociopath: an inability to love or recieve love.
- Aggressive Sociopath: a consistent saddistic streak

Which one are you :tongue: Are you a mudblood, or a true blood? :tongue:

Are you a common sociopath, or the aggressive type who's likely to evolve into the next Ted Bundy?

Come on people. Don't just make assumptions. I think that you should just embrace the fact you aren't an empathic person, rather than faking it.
Its rather shallow of your colleagues/friends to say "Oh he doesn't care" especially when under certain circumstances you obviously do - like when your baby died (sorry to hear that). If I were in your shoes, I would just be honest, and tell close friends and family that sometimes you find it difficult to express your emotions. That way, if something tragic happens, they'll understand why you're not responding in an empathic manner. Rather than taking it personally, they'll know that its just a part of who you are.
I wouldn't say there is anything wrong with you, in terms of mental disorders. Being empathic is something 'society' sees as being morally accepted so not being able to empathise clearly leads to people pointing the figure at a personality disorder. Its seen as being out of the ordinary, so you're apparently bonkers up there :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Vian
If you don't feel anything when people who you've had contact with are hurt, then it sounds like you have psychopathic tendencies, which isn't the same as being violent/murderous/emotionally dead. When you discount being manipulative, if you actually are naturally manipulative you'd be unlikely to know as that's simply how you grew up and see as a natural part of human interaction (a sort of "fish don't have a word for water" thing).

As for a practical solution, just try and emulate how other behave, if not look. When everyone's in a sombre mood, just don't smile and stay relatively silent compared to your regular self as you'll seem like you're lost in thought over the sadness of the situation. Also, ask your GP as even if your not a psychopath there may be some neurological basis for your lack of empathy that can be fixed.

Oh stop with the CSI analysis. He does not need to get his nervous system checked out.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Vian

I didn't realise how manipulative I was until I ironically got told one day a few years back. Now I consciously know I am manipulative but people often think manipulation is purely for evil reasons. It can be anything from getting a desired reaction to make yourself feel better. But in the past when I think about it, I did try to control people in the past like leaving work early. Or making good looking friends look foolish infront of women to make me look better.

I don't think I'm a bad person, no but I don't want people to think I'm bad either so yes, faking it is the best. I learnt how to fake things like when I was wrongly arrested, I was in the cell and saw a charistmic man smile and laugh with the police. I was in innocent anyway but it looked good.

Is it possible to lack empathy and do what I did without having a personality disorder? I don't want to go to the GP in fear of my jobs..

Original post by danny111
If he were a sociopath he would have no empathy but be able to fake it.

I agree... Unless I'm the odd one. :tongue:

Original post by Beep.
Its quite humorous how people are jumping the gun and labeling you a sociopath :tongue: might as well diagnose what kind of a sociopath you are while we're at it soo.. :

There seems to be a difference between the made sociopath (one who's lived a life with a childhood that pushed them into the mind state of a sociopath) and the "true" sociopath (one who is born a sociopath.)
- Common Sociopath: simple lack of conscious.
- Alienated Sociopath: an inability to love or recieve love.
- Aggressive Sociopath: a consistent saddistic streak

Which one are you :tongue: Are you a mudblood, or a true blood? :tongue:

Are you a common sociopath, or the aggressive type who's likely to evolve into the next Ted Bundy?

Come on people. Don't just make assumptions. I think that you should just embrace the fact you aren't an empathic person, rather than faking it.
Its rather shallow of your colleagues/friends to say "Oh he doesn't care" especially when under certain circumstances you obviously do - like when your baby died (sorry to hear that). If I were in your shoes, I would just be honest, and tell close friends and family that sometimes you find it difficult to express your emotions. That way, if something tragic happens, they'll understand why you're not responding in an empathic manner. Rather than taking it personally, they'll know that its just a part of who you are.
I wouldn't say there is anything wrong with you, in terms of mental disorders. Being empathic is something 'society' sees as being morally accepted so not being able to empathise clearly leads to people pointing the figure at a personality disorder. Its seen as being out of the ordinary, so you're apparently bonkers up there :rolleyes:

If I was one I would be "alienated", never loved anyone. I do get agressive at times but only when people make me angry. Thanks for your words, I suppose it's possible to just lack things but that doesn't give me a PD! I dont want people to think that either as it shows oddness and people can be unforgiving..

Thanks guys.
Reply 18
Original post by Beep.
Oh stop with the CSI analysis. He does not need to get his nervous system checked out.

Then they can ignore most of my post and take the practical advice bit. I'm hardly saying that they're a threat to civilisation, am I?

Now I consciously know I am manipulative but people often think manipulation is purely for evil reasons. It can be anything from getting a desired reaction to make yourself feel better.

Is it possible to lack empathy and do what I did without having a personality disorder?

I agree, I don't think manipulating people is bad in and of of itself as I believe everyone's manipulative to one extent or another. Is it not the entire basis of leadership, debate and charisma?

I don't think merely lacking empathy is a personality disorder (though what do I know?) unless you're completely devoid of it, as in if others are clearly in immense pain you find yourself feeling indifferent.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
That is a very bizarre post. I also find it worth noting you asked how to appear more empathetical, not how to be more empathetical. What do you want TSR to give you, acting classes? Illusory emotions are, on the surface, very easy. Social conventions dictate that you will rarely be probed further.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending