The Student Room Group

How can I appear more empathetical?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by justanotherposter
Knowing one sociopath doesn't mean every sociopath (if that's what he even is) is immediately like your brother, it'd be like if I got cheated on by a girl and came to the conclusion that all girls cheat, and what exactly does OP gain from trying to get sympathy? He isn't going to find a soulmate from this, or get financial support, the only thing he gain from this is advice, which is what he came here looking for, I don't see what he has to gain from 'manipulating' us.
Edit: Also read the original post again, OP says the baby dying made him unhappy, however he was unable to express it so it looked like he didn't give a ****

Exactly. I don't gain anything from gaining sympathy. Not sure what he was smoking. I was certainly unhappy about the baby but at the same time, I didn't "care" as most people do. If that makes sense? I know I sound pretty bad now.

Original post by Miouhaneun
Has anyone in this thread bothered to take into account that Psychopathy or Sociopathy is not an actual diagnose used within psychiatry? Additional to that, diagnosing someone with -anything- without being educated, licensed and having observed the patient over an extended period of time is impossible and unethical.

There are literally hundreds of reason to why a person can experience little or no empathy, and not all of them are permanent.

To the owner of the thread: See a psychiatrist if you want to find out more about yourself. Your job is safe, anything said between you and your licensed psychiatrist is confidential. If you just want to -appear- more empathic I suggest you study how other people react to things, and then just practice your acting skills. And like you said - It's not likely that you'll turn into the next Ted Bundy.

... Unless you are a pathologically cold, respectless and manipulative person suffering from a serious inferiority complex stemming from a dysfunctional childhood and relationship to your family, and the suffering of a traumatic episode in which your ego was seriously damaged. Put simply of course. =)

I find a lot of people are happy to label people things such as "psychopath" or "narcasisst" quite eagely. I suppose there are hundreds of reasons I cannot feel empathy, could it be a childhood trauma? Yes, I did have a abusive mother who physically and emotionally abused me. I also almost got murdered when I was a little child, some children tried to drown me in a river and I couldn't swim. I almost forgot about it but just remembered, funny hah.
Reply 41
Just like you said, author did express that he feels something but that part of the problem seems to be expressing it.

This is one of the most significant traits found within the Schizoid Personality Disorder found both within the ICD-10 and the DSM. Though it should still be said having traits found within a personality disorder does not at all mean that you have a personality disorder. To be diagnosed with a PD you need a number of these traits to be the very definition of your character, e.g. a pathology that manifests not only in actions but in mental and social function.

I agree that you should need more than a lack of empathy to be considered a PD. Yes, I feel "something", I'm not completely void of empathy. I know that torturing people is wrong for example and bad but I just don't care much for when it happens to people.

Isn't Schizoid quite similar to Asperger's? The PDs I noticed are just one big cluster of traits... Are all psychopaths even that charming? Jeffrey Dahmer didn't come across as a charmer to me.
Reply 42
Sound like me tbh.

Just try and show emotion, it's bottled up inside but sometimes you need to show it.
Personally I don't think you are a sociopath. Sociopaths tend to be very good at mimicking emotioms and you also said you are not completely void of emotion. The most probable reason you don't feel as much is your childhood trauma.You most probably developed some sort of copping mechanism to deal with difficult situations. Also having been through traumatic situations probably makes you think that when something bad happens people are overreacting and that difficulties are a part of life and so on.
In any case I think it would be good for you to talk ro a professional and deal with your trauma. It will probably " unlock" emotions you never knew you were capable of.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
I agree that you should need more than a lack of empathy to be considered a PD. Yes, I feel "something", I'm not completely void of empathy. I know that torturing people is wrong for example and bad but I just don't care much for when it happens to people.

Isn't Schizoid quite similar to Asperger's? The PDs I noticed are just one big cluster of traits... Are all psychopaths even that charming? Jeffrey Dahmer didn't come across as a charmer to me.

Schizoid PD is part of the Schizophrenic "spectrum" and shares a few characteristics with Aspergers. Aspergers however is part of the Autism spectrum and had no connection with Schizoid. Typical for Schizoid is that the person is rational in throught and has difficulties in expressing emotion. People apprehend the schizoid person as cold because the person does not convey emotion in ways that are noticable. Schizoid people are also often very straight forward and honest, a trait that is often misinterpreted as cruelty. Because of these things schizoid's are often misunderstood and people like to label them psychopathic or narcissistic without understanding how the schizoid person reasons. This inability to share emotional intimacy makes it difficult for schizoid's to form relationships based on pure emotion, but rather connections are established through other common factors. However the manipulative and deceptive behavior often observed in Psychopathy/Dissocial PD, and the impulsiveness and cruelty associated with ASPD are often missing.

Interesting you bring up Dahmer - He was not officially diagnosed to my knowledge. Looking at his history though one can clearly see the pathology of a serial killer in the making, but a psychopath not so much. His behavior was often erratic and of a very sexual nature, this teamed with his early developed alcoholism are very atypical of the cold and disciplinary psychopath. There was of course that incident where he convinced the police to release his 13-yearold victim into his custody, but that was probably more due to neglect on the police's part than a display of his manipulative prowess. I'd say (based on what I know alone) that Dahmer was a disorganised sexual sadist suffering from extreme abandonment issues (common within cannibalism/necrophilia) and delusions, but not a psychopath.
All psychopaths are not "charming" as charming is a trait which suggests the person is sincere and inviting. Someone manipulating others are quite the opposite, cold and using our will to connect against us for the purpose of personal gain. Manipulation is one of the traits listed in the Psychopathy checklist, but one doesn't have to tick all the boxes to qualify as a Psychopath according to the tests, 35 out of 60 if I remember correctly. So it's not -always-, just rather common =)
Reply 45
Sheldon?
Original post by katyness
Sheldon?

Sheldon Cooper does display a behavior that would satisfy a lot of the criteria. However in addition Sheldon display obsessive-compulsive traits, and his inability to understand sarcasm or figures of speech are atypical for a schizoid but typical of someone who's got asperger.
Reply 47
Schizoid PD is part of the Schizophrenic "spectrum" and shares a few characteristics with Aspergers. Aspergers however is part of the Autism spectrum and had no connection with Schizoid. Typical for Schizoid is that the person is rational in throught and has difficulties in expressing emotion. People apprehend the schizoid person as cold because the person does not convey emotion in ways that are noticable. Schizoid people are also often very straight forward and honest, a trait that is often misinterpreted as cruelty. Because of these things schizoid's are often misunderstood and people like to label them psychopathic or narcissistic without understanding how the schizoid person reasons. This inability to share emotional intimacy makes it difficult for schizoid's to form relationships based on pure emotion, but rather connections are established through other common factors. However the manipulative and deceptive behavior often observed in Psychopathy/Dissocial PD, and the impulsiveness and cruelty associated with ASPD are often missing.

Interesting you bring up Dahmer - He was not officially diagnosed to my knowledge. Looking at his history though one can clearly see the pathology of a serial killer in the making, but a psychopath not so much. His behavior was often erratic and of a very sexual nature, this teamed with his early developed alcoholism are very atypical of the cold and disciplinary psychopath. There was of course that incident where he convinced the police to release his 13-yearold victim into his custody, but that was probably more due to neglect on the police's part than a display of his manipulative prowess. I'd say (based on what I know alone) that Dahmer was a disorganised sexual sadist suffering from extreme abandonment issues (common within cannibalism/necrophilia) and delusions, but not a psychopath.
All psychopaths are not "charming" as charming is a trait which suggests the person is sincere and inviting. Someone manipulating others are quite the opposite, cold and using our will to connect against us for the purpose of personal gain. Manipulation is one of the traits listed in the Psychopathy checklist, but one doesn't have to tick all the boxes to qualify as a Psychopath according to the tests, 35 out of 60 if I remember correctly. So it's not -always-, just rather common =)

I don't think I'm Schizoid. I enjoy having sex with people and such and I am not "honest and direct". It's obvious to me that being honest and direct will often lead to bigger confrontations than I'd like. I have trouble with emotions and have to fake them sometimes. I often feel "surges" of happiness but I am never truly happy or loving if that makes sense? I often put on a fake smile, feign surprise, fear etc. When I was in Turkey, a pimp had his gun aimed at my head and I pretended to be scared because that's what he would have expected.. But let's not go into that.

Perhaps Dahmer is Borderline PD? Abandonment issues? With psychopathic traits? It was obvious he didn't display remorse when he was in court and such.

I said earlier in this thread, I didn't realise how manipulative I was into I got told. It can be anything from making a girl jealous to get the desired emotion to make you feel better to trying to control co-workers to leave work early and such. But yes, I'm guilty of manipulation. I don't think manipulation is all that bad. You need team leaders to manipulate others into working hard, right? I have manipulated people but I consider it harmless. Nobody really gets hurt from it..

I do believe "charms" and "charisma" shouldn't be a psychopathic trait. To me, it's just a case of someone watched someone how to do it and so they mimiced it. It is in no way natural I imagine.

I think the hare test is 30/40 to be diagnosed in the USA and in the UK it's 25/40 :tongue:
Reply 48
I'll be honest though, I'm not particularly looking for a relationship either. Girlfriends have dumped me in the past because "I didn't seem bothered" and when I came to work, my co-workers were surprised that I was seemingly not bothered at all. I do find women attractive obviously and I have had crushes but I find when I'm in a relationship, I don't really care? o.0
Reply 49
Original post by ilikedesiwomen
Asperger's?

Do people on TSR really know what Asperger's and Autism really are :question:

As someone with Autism, we usually don't lack empathy but have different ways of showing it/not.

Anyway to OP, might want to pop to your GP if you're really concerned but it might just be you find it hard to express that 1 emotion, as you've said you're fine with everything else, try to relax.
We're sometimes too quick to jump and give names to mental issues people have. Labeling, stereotyping and categorizing. Never the less I have Alexithymia and in some ways (mostly regarding the lack of empathy) it sounds similar to you situation, so you might want to look into it. A google search on it should give you some facts. I believe there are varying degrees by which it can effect you, so maybe what's happening is actually combination of psychological factors rather than one thing you can pin point. Or it could be something completely different.

All I can say is that over time I've learnt to deal with it by observing the behavior of others and associating feelings to that particular behavior in the corresponding situation. This has gradually started to make me feel a little better and also helped me to act a little more 'sensitive' to others. Being able to talk about it as a difficulty has helped a bit, makes those concerned a little more understanding (more empathetic towards MY situation - ironic).

If you're really concerned with this then obviously you're going to have to see a professional, get some peace of mind and maybe a plan of action. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending