The Student Room Group

Help computer problem!

need your help folks!

ok, i've been stupid, i was watching tv whilst at the computer and i right clicked the mouse and scrolled down to the options "high colour" "24 bit colour" i then stupidly selected one which was a higher resolution than my monitor can handle.

So now all i get is a box saying that the monitor does not recongnise the resolution and the screen is otherwise blank. windows runs behind it and is functioning (i managed to shut it down when the screen was blank) i thought it would change back after 30 seconds, but it didn't

so how on gods earth do i change this setting back?? my initial reaction is to try and enable safe mode, would this work and what do i need to get safe mode working?

also i was thinking the menu that you can draw up when the coomputer first starts by pressing f2 (or another key) would i be able to change the settings there?

please reply people because i need this sorted out quickly. stupid strupid me! rep will be awarded
piginapoke
Start in safe mode. Hold F8 when the computer is booting.

I think thats your only option.
Reply 2
piginapoke
Start in safe mode. Hold F8 when the computer is booting.

ok tried it, but i'm using windows 98, isnt it different?
MattG
ok tried it, but i'm using windows 98, isnt it different?

try repeatedly bashing it. I'm pretty sure it's the same key for all windows.
Reply 4
how can you see ukl then?? :confused:
Tinykates
how can you see ukl then?? :confused:

that's what i was thinkin.
Reply 6
computers are too complicated. sorry for the mindless post but why can't they just work!!!
Reply 7
piginapoke
Different computer probably.

maybe... if it's one with a higher res then sway monitors and change old one bk to low res - that's what my bro did (but not much use if you don't have a monitor with higher res)
Reply 8
ok, got into safe mode and fiddled with settings, just rebooting it now

oh and for the curious i'm on my dads laptop :wink:
Reply 9
piginapoke
Is he reading you a nice story too?

heh heh heh, its worked, should be fixed now, thanks ppl.

rep coming your way piginapoke tomorrow
Reply 10
piginapoke
They do usually unless you a) muck about with them b) install dubious software.

lol, ironically that is also two ways to get them working again :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending