The Student Room Group

Breakfast problems (not for the faint hearted)

I always eat weetabix for breakfast because it keeps me fuller for longer but it always gives me the urge to poop. Like i usually have my breakfast around 7:30am and let's say at 8:10am I'll have a urge to poop really bad. It's only when I eat weetabix not in general.....

i think it doesn't suit me so I need to replace it but with that?

Can anyone tell me food similar to weetabix that's keeps you fuller for longer

thanks (sorry for being disgusting)
Reply 1
Porridge?
Could you have some kind of wheat intolerance or something? (If that exists). Might be worth experimenting with a few cereals.

I love porridge personally, because you can add virtually anything and make it different and interesting every day. Otherwise bran flakes are good for your health (though they taste like cardboard). Avoid cornflakes because of the sugar.
Reply 3
Original post by Happy_Smiles
I always eat weetabix for breakfast because it keeps me fuller for longer but it always gives me the urge to poop. Like i usually have my breakfast around 7:30am and let's say at 8:10am I'll have a urge to poop really bad. It's only when I eat weetabix not in general.....

You do realise that Weetabix is mostly fibre and it will make you want to take a ****?
You might want to go to the doctor and see if you have a wheat intolerance. I was getting terrible pains in my stomach after eating weetabix etc and as it turns out I can't eat wheat anymore... Oh and porridge, rice krispies, puffed rice, wheat-free muesli.
Reply 5
Original post by voodoo_child
You might want to go to the doctor and see if you have a wheat intolerance. I was getting terrible pains in my stomach after eating weetabix etc and as it turns out I can't eat wheat anymore... Oh and porridge, rice krispies, puffed rice, wheat-free muesli.

I was the same, but the doctors couldnt find out why. I was quite young at the time . Went through numerous tests at hospital and was always in pain. Until i stopped eating as much bread and weatabix
If your stomach hurts after eating, and it is quite painful unless you go to the toilet then I'd get it checked for an intolerance, but if it's just a normal toilet visit then it will probably just be the fibre...
That's not abnormal. It's high in fibre, though it won't be fully digested and through your system in that time so it's probably that you need to poo anyway.

Certainly not worth something bothering your GP about (unless it's painful, and not wind :tongue:)

,Another brand of cereal/porridge/toast?
IBS?? Sometimes when I eat, it will come straight out the other end in 30 mins! Its a very unpleasant sight in the loo.

I still dont know what food causes it, but atm 20 mins before eating, I have to take medication prescribed by my Dr to ease the problem. Apparently it relaxes the intestinal muscles and so my food doesnt come straight out the other end. It works! ( when I remember to take it, that is....)
The 'problem' is lost on me. Your breakfast makes you ****e? Nice one, is what I say. I have to drink several cups of black coffee and smoke a couple of fags to ensure that I can have my morning poo prior to showering and leaving the house.
Original post by sion.h
I was the same, but the doctors couldnt find out why. I was quite young at the time . Went through numerous tests at hospital and was always in pain. Until i stopped eating as much bread and weatabix

Yeah I had blood tests but came up clear but the doctor made me go on two exclusion diets (dairy and wheat), and I started to see that wheat was the problem.

Oh and (to the OP) it could also be the milk, you could be lactose intolerant or sensitive to dairy or something.
Original post by OU Student
Porridge?

I've started eating porridge instead of weetabox and no more urge needed to poop :biggrin: it keeps me fuller and no poopie problem!! Thanks :smile: positive +1 for you
Keep eating weetabix its not bad for u it regulates your bowel movement so you dont get constipated. But dont eat to much as its weet.
Original post by Happy_Smiles

Museli, banana, porride/ oats are things I think i've heard are good. Possibly youghurts or other fruits too. Try googling "slow release energy foods" or something.
Try experimenting a little with wheat and see if you get a simmilar reaction with other wheat sources. It is possible to have a wheat intolerance which would cause tummy issues. You could also see if there are any other ingredients (not sure what exactly weetabix contains other that wheat- if anything) that can be irritants.
You could also try "fake" weetabix brands on the off chance it's just weetabix and not wheat in general or otabix (I think that's what it's called) which is the same brand but oats instead of wheat.

As one person has already mentioned though weetabix contains fiber which does have a... loosening effect. It is entirely possible (likely infact) that it's just that. You could find that having a food or drink with it that has an opposite effect could level it out.
(edited 7 years ago)
I have the same problem but I have found eating coco pops or a medium bowl of porridge quite helpful.Hope this helps!! 😁😁
I often eat Weetabix for brekkie. Of course, it is not the greatest food to eat for breakfast but I have found that it helps bowel movement and is quite a low sugar cereal to eat.
What has doctor given you is it omeprezole or lansaprazole ? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest