The Student Room Group

tiredness affecting study

I'm sure everyone goes through it so i've been telling myself its normal but based on recent events, i think it may be a tiny bit more serious.
I'm in year 13, on a good day, i go to bed at 10:30pm. I would go to bed earlier but then i would be cutting out a section of my homework and just revision in general. I could change it but it depends on how much.
Last year i was going to bed at like 12 because i was up doing work but i'm getting more tired each day and i feel like my body just shuts down more easily. So i would have thought that the sleep routine I have now would be much better for me.
I wake up at 6:30, I don't have enough time to even eat so i try and eat my breakfast at school or on the train. I shouldn't wake up any earlier as I will be late for school as i already get there bang on 8:45. I am already getting 7 hours sleep and this is standard. Idk how to be adding more.
However, last month and this month - i've been fainting much more, it normally happens at home. I don't know why this is but the only thing i can think of is my sleep.
I feel so pathetic bc i'm literally 18 years old and I still don't know how to sleep well
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm sure everyone goes through it so i've been telling myself its normal but based on recent events, i think it may be a tiny bit more serious.
I'm in year 13, on a good day, i go to bed at 10:30pm. I would go to bed earlier but then i would be cutting out a section of my homework and just revision in general. I could change it but it depends on how much.
Last year i was going to bed at like 12 because i was up doing work but i'm getting more tired each day and i feel like my body just shuts down more easily. So i would have thought that the sleep routine I have now would be much better for me.
I wake up at 6:30, I don't have enough time to even eat so i try and eat my breakfast at school or on the train. I shouldn't wake up any earlier as I will be late for school as i already get there bang on 8:45. I am already getting 7 hours sleep and this is standard. Idk how to be adding more.
However, last month and this month - i've been fainting much more, it normally happens at home. I don't know why this is but the only thing i can think of is my sleep.
I feel so pathetic bc i'm literally 18 years old and I still don't know how to sleep well

you preferably need 8-9 hours perhaps.

it could also be sleep quality. Are you stressed? is the quality of your sleep good?

fainting? Have you seen a doctor/gp. contact one perhaps.

maybe some things to make you sleep better. turn off the lights, have your room dark, and don't use electronic devices your blue light can affect you. don't have caffeine, alcohol, or heavy meals before. Have a comfy bed. Exercise before like in the evening could also help.

drink caffeine when your tired, will make you more alert as I assume you are in yr 13. so the caffeine will be brief. melatonin could work. I'm not sure when you fall asleep, but if it's delayed then yeah.

(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 2

Have you seen a GP about this? It’s not normal to be fainting regularly, so it’d be a good idea to get things checked out to see if there are any underlying issues.

What are your energy levels throughout the day like? Are you eating enough throughout the day; might you be deficient in anything (such as iron)?
Reply 3
Original post by bl0bf1sh
Have you seen a GP about this? It’s not normal to be fainting regularly, so it’d be a good idea to get things checked out to see if there are any underlying issues.

What are your energy levels throughout the day like? Are you eating enough throughout the day; might you be deficient in anything (such as iron)?

I have an iron defficienty but i was told that it wasn't serious. However i found this out during the start of school so its hard to tell if its getting worse or its just my sleep.
I would say my energy levels out quite low but again, i can't tell if its just the boring school environment. I just get confused because idk what im feeling is normal bc i know so many of my friends are tired too so i could be overreacting
you should definitely check your iron and ferritin levels. happened to me a few years back when I was sleeping 12 hours a day.
Reply 5
I have an iron defficienty but i was told that it wasn't serious. However i found this out during the start of school so its hard to tell if its getting worse or its just my sleep.
I would say my energy levels out quite low but again, i can't tell if its just the boring school environment. I just get confused because idk what im feeling is normal bc i know so many of my friends are tired too so i could be overreacting

I think this definitely warrants a GP appointment to make sure the iron deficiency hasn't gotten worse and that there is nothing else going on. I hope you feel better soon.
Reply 6
sameee i agree with all the posts above orrr maybe cuz it's winter? people tend to sleep more during winter as nights are longer i remember gcse season last year i was sleeping 3-4 hours and did not feel tired at all during my exams so just bear this in mind too, i think by april time when days are longer u'll probably see an improvement?

Quick Reply

Latest