The Student Room Group

Car Insurance -Occupation Advice

I'm insuring my car when I turn 18, and I am in college at the moment with a part time job at McDonald's.

On the insurance policy I'll be using, I can get it for around £1700 (around £156 a month) saying that my 'Occupation' is student

It is about £1500 (£135 a month) saying that my occupation is 'Fast Food Resturant Staff' (their job description not mine :tongue:)

It only gives one option for Occupation (unlike some I've seen when it asks if there's a part time occupation) and obviously it saves me another £200 saying that my occupation is at McDonald's, and I'm not sure if I'm going to uni or not (I think so though) and at the minute I'm still in college so not a student as they mean

My question is, if I put my occupation as 'Fast food restaurant staff' will I get in trouble? (At the minute I do 2/3 shifts a week, when I go to uni this will probably increase and will increase from June)

Thanks for any help/advice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Check you cant have both. I am a self employed Computer Consultant but also a Uni Student.... I put it as a 'Secondary Occupation'. FYI I'm with Admiral.... give the insurers a call. It is very dangerous and could have life effecting consequences if you are not 100% honest and transparent with your insurers.
Reply 2
It'll be worth just running it by the person on the phone. I'd be tempted to put whichever one you do "the most of" as the occupation though. If you're doing 2-3 shifts, that's 16-24 hours a week? Are you doing equal time in education?

Really do check it out though. Only the insurer will know for sure what they will accept.
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies :smile: will give them a ring or something!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by SortYourLife

Posted from TSR Mobile

Idiot, just put fast food man, if its cheaper than do it, your not lying either so :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by David 90
Idiot, just put fast food man, if its cheaper than do it, your not lying either so :tongue:

Just want to make sure I'm not gonna have high insurance for life ! :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Just want to make sure I'm not gonna have high insurance for life ! :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. Don't do what they suggested. In short, it's highly illegal because you're lying on your insurance form.

High insurance sucks, but it will only get higher if they catch you fronting.
Reply 7
If you have an accident and they contest your occupation, you could end up having the insurance cancelled and therefore being in a bad situation. I would ring them up and actually take their advice on what you should put, as that way you know you've done everything by the book.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, definitely ring them and then reply here with what they say so then in future if people search and find the thread then there will be a ncie conclusion for them.

I think they will probably want your "primary" occupation which will be student as the other sounds like a part time job but i could easily be wrong...
I'm insuring my car when I turn 18, and I am in college at the moment with a part time job at McDonald's.

On the insurance policy I'll be using, I can get it for around £1700 (around £156 a month) saying that my 'Occupation' is student

It is about £1500 (£135 a month) saying that my occupation is 'Fast Food Resturant Staff' (their job description not mine :tongue:)

It only gives one option for Occupation (unlike some I've seen when it asks if there's a part time occupation) and obviously it saves me another £200 saying that my occupation is at McDonald's, and I'm not sure if I'm going to uni or not (I think so though) and at the minute I'm still in college so not a student as they mean

My question is, if I put my occupation as 'Fast food restaurant staff' will I get in trouble? (At the minute I do 2/3 shifts a week, when I go to uni this will probably increase and will increase from June)

Thanks for any help/advice

Posted from TSR Mobile

Id phone them up and ask, just to run it by them.
You dont want to get done for it, you know how insurance companies like to find any excuse to get out of paying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending