The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Annika17
What's the best way to get out of depression, without resorting to anti-depressants or seeing a counsellor?

I wouldn't bother asking, but as it's affecting my A-level studies, I'm abit worried.
Any advice please?

may i ask why you're depressed? the best solution is usually finding the source of the problem. we all suffer depressison sometime
Reply 2
Annika17
What's the best way to get out of depression, without resorting to anti-depressants or seeing a counsellor?

I wouldn't bother asking, but as it's affecting my A-level studies, I'm abit worried.
Any advice please?

Well, it's easy to get down when there's the pressure of A Levels (if that's why you're depressed). When I get like that I give myself a weekend off and relax, go away, have fun etc.
Reply 3
Annika17

Any advice please?

Regular excercise and eating well helps. Try not to think about it too hard either - if you get stressed out because you're too stressed out then you'll just spiral into depression further. Talk to people as well. Keeping it all inside never helps.
Reply 4
you dont necessarily need to talk to a counsillor, you could always talk to a friend, i find that helps, and try and do something to distract you, i find my music is a good source of distraction, i just end up getting lost in it sometimes.
Reply 5
Annika17

Any advice please?

This may sound stupid but go running or if you are a gym member go there (or do both).

Put yourself through a hard workout but dont overdo it.

This released endorphines (sp?) which give you a "feel good factor".

The problem is you can get hooked on these endorphines and they have been likened to Heroin.

I am a "gym junkie", if I dont go atleast three times a week I get all down about it and feel as though I havent done enough.
Reply 6
get drunk

oh sh*t i shouldnt say that...sorry!
Annika17

Any advice please?

why dont you want anti-depressents or to see a counsellor?

part of the solution is admitting you have a problem and to do that you need to be prepared to recieve the relevent treatment.

love Katy ***
Reply 8
well, there's loads of stuff really.
About six years ago, my mum left my sister's dad, and we all moved from brimingham to west yorkshire. A year later, she had met this man and began to have a relationship with him. They got married, and so he moved in. He began to manipulate my mum, and she had to work long hours, because he convinced her that he didn't earn alot of money, and because my mum has four kids, she has alot to provide for. And while she was at work, he started being really horrible to me and my siblings. He would pick on us, and he used to pick on my brother really bad. My brother didn't take it too well, and we tried to tell my mum, but our stepdad always made her choose him over us, and she didn't realise what was happening. It got so bad, that my mum had to send my brother down to birmingham to live with my nan, because he couldn't cope with it. And I felt really bad, because I'm the eldest, and I'm supposed to protect my brother and sisters.
Anyway, my mums husband played alot of mind games with my mum, and used to be really horrible to us, especially if we didn't call him dad!!
Then, last year, it all got worse.
We were supposed to be going to ibiza with my grandparents, and we were supposed to travel down to brimginham to stay with my nan for a few days before we went. It was on friday 23rd of august, and just a few hours before we got on the coach, we found out that there had been a fire in my aunt's flat, and that she and her two children were in hospital. We got down to birmingham, and my two cousins were in the children's hospital, and they were on life support machines. All my family were there. And it was so heartbreaking, because they were laid on the beds with all these tubes coming out and the machine was pumping air into the lungs. Everybody was crying and really upset. My aunt was in another hospital. The next morning, we went back to the hospital ready to sit with my cousins. We got there, and we were told that the doctors were going to switch the machines off.
My aunt was brought from her hospital to the childrens hospital, and she got to hold them while the machines were turned off. They died within an hour of each other. We were all in the same room together when they passed. They were only 3 and 5 years old. :frown:
Nobody in our family has died before, and we're quite small but close. And the day the machines were switched off was the worst day I have ever lived through.
I think that's the main cause of my depression. And everything has gone down hill since then.
My aunt and brother have since tried to commit suicide. My brother was then put in a medical centre and is currently on anti-depressants (and he's only 16).
My 11 and 14 year old sister are in counselling. They have really bad nightmares. Im ok, I think. But sometimes I feel I wouldn't cope if I didn't have my friends to cheer me up. After the funeral we moved back down to birmingham, my mum's getting a divorce, so I'm starting life all over again.
And I got really bad A-level results, when I'm able to get better ones.
Reply 9
ickle_katy

part of the solution is admitting you have a problem and to do that you need to be prepared to recieve the relevent treatment.

love Katy ***

The problem is that ALL of us get natural "ups" and "downs".

There is often no "real" reason for this and not a great deal that we can do to prevent it.
Reply 10
ickle_katy

love Katy ***

I want to get out of it myself, knowing that I've brought myself out of it, not some pills. Although, it is a good idea.
Reply 11
Go to GP - he/she can put you in touch with a counselling service for teenagers :smile:
Reply 12
jammyd
Go to GP - he/she can put you in touch with a counselling service for teenagers :smile:

I really want to avoid going to counselling.
Annika17

it might help you- just to talk to someone with an objective view on the whole situation....

you could try herbal remedies for depression....
Reply 14
Annika17
well, there's loads of stuff really.
About six years ago, my mum left my sister's dad, and we all moved from brimingham to west yorkshire. A year later, she had met this man and began to have a relationship with him. They got married, and so he moved in. He began to manipulate my mum, and she had to work long hours, because he convinced her that he didn't earn alot of money, and because my mum has four kids, she has alot to provide for. And while she was at work, he started being really horrible to me and my siblings. He would pick on us, and he used to pick on my brother really bad. My brother didn't take it too well, and we tried to tell my mum, but our stepdad always made her choose him over us, and she didn't realise what was happening. It got so bad, that my mum had to send my brother down to birmingham to live with my nan, because he couldn't cope with it. And I felt really bad, because I'm the eldest, and I'm supposed to protect my brother and sisters.
Anyway, my mums husband played alot of mind games with my mum, and used to be really horrible to us, especially if we didn't call him dad!!
Then, last year, it all got worse.
We were supposed to be going to ibiza with my grandparents, and we were supposed to travel down to brimginham to stay with my nan for a few days before we went. It was on friday 23rd of august, and just a few hours before we got on the coach, we found out that there had been a fire in my aunt's flat, and that she and her two children were in hospital. We got down to birmingham, and my two cousins were in the children's hospital, and they were on life support machines. All my family were there. And it was so heartbreaking, because they were laid on the beds with all these tubes coming out and the machine was pumping air into the lungs. Everybody was crying and really upset. My aunt was in another hospital. The next morning, we went back to the hospital ready to sit with my cousins. We got there, and we were told that the doctors were going to switch the machines off.
My aunt was brought from her hospital to the childrens hospital, and she got to hold them while the machines were turned off. They died within an hour of each other. We were all in the same room together when they passed. They were only 3 and 5 years old. :frown:
Nobody in our family has died before, and we're quite small but close. And the day the machines were switched off was the worst day I have ever lived through.
I think that's the main cause of my depression. And everything has gone down hill since then.
My aunt and brother have since tried to commit suicide. My brother was then put in a medical centre and is currently on anti-depressants (and he's only 16).
My 11 and 14 year old sister are in counselling. They have really bad nightmares. Im ok, I think. But sometimes I feel I wouldn't cope if I didn't have my friends to cheer me up. After the funeral we moved back down to birmingham, my mum's getting a divorce, so I'm starting life all over again.
And I got really bad A-level results, when I'm able to get better ones.

everyone does bad on their a levels, its no big worry, u can re-take them, the most important thing i think at this present time is that you try and put the past behind you and try and move on, i think that you have to be strong, not only for youurself, but for your mum and siblings. it will give them hope seeing you not worried, dont worry too much about your results, you can always re-sit. :smile:
Reply 15
you seem to have a real reason for depression, not an irrational depression. For this reason I think that counselling might be a good idea. If you treat the source of the illness its symptoms will disappear. With lots of depression there is no obvious reason, there is just a chemical imbalance in the brain, I think counnselling could help.

Good ideas- take St. Johns Wort, it is a natural herbal anti-depressant which yotu can buy over the counter without prescription in pharmacies.

-take lots of exercise

-eat bananas

-spend time with people who love you and dont ever lock yourself away from people because things can rapidly get out of perspective.

Hope this helps you
Annika17

why do you see counselling as a bad thing?

yes i fully understand why you would want to do it yourself...but whats wrong with getting a little help.

love Katy ***
Annika17

Any advice please?

Just find someone you can talk too about things.
Usually just ranting for hours about whatever really does help, if your that sort of person.

Me personally, i usually resort to repression, but that totally screws your head up, so i wouldn't recommend it.
Mark_KK
The problem is that ALL of us get natural "ups" and "downs".

There is often no "real" reason for this and not a great deal that we can do to prevent it.

natural ups and downs arnt "depression"

depression is a mental illness and neads to be treated as such, would you suggest that because all of us think were a little overweight that anerixics dont get treated, theres no "real" reason to be anerexic and there is little that can be done to prevent it.

preventing it is impossibe, but there are many ways out of depression.

love Katy ***
Annika17

But councellors are really fun to wind up, by being not quite insiteful enough for them to pick up on anything meaningful.
It makes you feel alot better to wind them up!
Or is it just me?

Latest

Trending

Trending