The Student Room Group

A-Level Options Advice?

Hi, I'm thinking of doing Medicine, and I'm kinda interested in Neurology tbh, and we have to decide what options to take for sixth form, and I was wondering if I could get some advice on my options I'm considering?

Chemistry - Definite; I enjoy the sciences and I've found out that they're a must, plus I feel that the sciences are my forte since I find them the easiest out of all my subjects in GCSE, and I know I shouldn't be comparing it to GCSE but that's what I've experienced so far.

Biology - Definite; I enjoy this subject too.

Maths OR French - REALLY UNSURE; I think I'd enjoy French more, but I enjoy both subjects when I put the work in which I know I will. I have to.

But I see myself having more difficulty with Maths, but I have a nagging feeling that I should take it; and i really don't know why.

We've been told having a language in your arsenal is really good for uni, and I like french and like Maths, it's just more practice for me.

And I know I can achieve good grades in both subjects when I put the extra effort.

Music OR Maths/French - Now I really enjoy Music, and I actually would like to have it as a sort of Plan B if for some reason I can't get into Medicine. I'm confident in it and I like Music since I feel that it'll compliment my expanding hobby with music production/writing, plus I plan on reaching and passing at least Grade 7 or 8 by the time I finish sixth form.

Some advice would really be helpful thanks :smile: Have to decide by Friday. omfg. :colondollar:
Reply 1
Music probably isn't a good choice if you want to go into medicine, it's generally considered a soft subject even though from what I've heard it's extremely demanding. A language is definitely useful but don't make that decision lightly, A level languages are nightmarishly difficult, you really shouldn't take that unless you're very confident with it, and I mean "I understand how this language works" confident, not "oh sure I got an A at GCSE, should be easy enough".
Reply 2
As well as the sciences, is maths not required for medicine? From what I know (which I don't, as I study in the complete opposite direction!) you should probably take chem, biology and maths and then choose between music or French.

DO FRENCH! :biggrin: I absolutely adore it, but it can be quite daunting from GCSE. It might help you more with medicine, too, than music, but if you feel completely competent in both subjects, just pick what you enjoy! French and music are both respected A Levels so do something you enjoy once you have your sciences :smile:
Reply 3
You need chem and biol for medicine, however most medical schools would like a non-sciency subject for your 3rd choice to prove bredth of character/adaptability. Furthermore, Chem Biol and Maths will simply be the hardest ride you have ever been on in your life! If you enjoy french/music, take them! You certainly won't be disadvantaged as long as you have at least 2 sciences, and having a contrasting subject will help break up the science and maths monotaniy in classes!

Source: my two best friends are medicine applicants

If you want to know anything more feel free to mail me, i'm quite clued up on this stuff! :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks for the heads up guys! :biggrin: Thinking of picking French and Music right now, and I'll see if I'll make changes when I get my results in August.

Original post by Sam:)
You need chem and biol for medicine, however most medical schools would like a non-sciency subject for your 3rd choice to prove bredth of character/adaptability. Furthermore, Chem Biol and Maths will simply be the hardest ride you have ever been on in your life! If you enjoy french/music, take them! You certainly won't be disadvantaged as long as you have at least 2 sciences, and having a contrasting subject will help break up the science and maths monotaniy in classes!

Source: my two best friends are medicine applicants

If you want to know anything more feel free to mail me, i'm quite clued up on this stuff! :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Thanks, I will! :biggrin:
Original post by murderinparadise
Hi, I'm thinking of doing Medicine, and I'm kinda interested in Neurology tbh, and we have to decide what options to take for sixth form, and I was wondering if I could get some advice on my options I'm considering?

Chemistry - Definite; I enjoy the sciences and I've found out that they're a must, plus I feel that the sciences are my forte since I find them the easiest out of all my subjects in GCSE, and I know I shouldn't be comparing it to GCSE but that's what I've experienced so far.

Biology - Definite; I enjoy this subject too.

Maths OR French - REALLY UNSURE; I think I'd enjoy French more, but I enjoy both subjects when I put the work in which I know I will. I have to.

But I see myself having more difficulty with Maths, but I have a nagging feeling that I should take it; and i really don't know why.

We've been told having a language in your arsenal is really good for uni, and I like french and like Maths, it's just more practice for me.

And I know I can achieve good grades in both subjects when I put the extra effort.

Music OR Maths/French - Now I really enjoy Music, and I actually would like to have it as a sort of Plan B if for some reason I can't get into Medicine. I'm confident in it and I like Music since I feel that it'll compliment my expanding hobby with music production/writing, plus I plan on reaching and passing at least Grade 7 or 8 by the time I finish sixth form.

Some advice would really be helpful thanks :smile: Have to decide by Friday. omfg. :colondollar:

Id take maths and french, and not do music.
Maths is useful when it comes to doing medicine. I dont know if its required or not but its definitely worth taking. And id also take french as its good to have a non science subject in there. Plus having a language looks good. I wouldnt take music. Unis seem to like the other 2 subjects more. Id still keep doing the music stuff on the side, and mention it when it comes to personal statements, interviews etc, but i wouldnt do it at a-level.
Maths & French. For Medicine, I imagine Maths would be a good tactical choice if anything; not only is it helpful, but it's objective and thus easy to score highly in with practice.

Quick Reply

Latest