The Student Room Group

If I completely fail my exams, is it worth going to uni or should I take a gap year?

I got CDD… it’s much worse than what I had expected..
Original post by Minminwun

No problem :smile: We're here to help

1. do you have a glass of water or some tea/coffee with you right now? Do that before anything else :wink:

I'm going to type some advice in a post below, bear with me :yep:

Hello again - how we doing? :hello:
2. To help you fully I'm going to need to know what course you'd be wanting to do at uni? Had you applied already?
3. Next I need to know what your status is on UCAS Hub

Third thing, I wrote a big thread about if things don't go to plan on results day, would you open this in another tab for me?
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7384821
Reply 3
Go into school and talk to staff about what to do next.

Its FIXABLE - resits, applying to different Unis next year, apprenticeships etc

Hello,
Now is not the time to give up!

There are plenty of options for you to take now.
- Resitting exams
- Going into the workplace
- Gap years for experience
- Internships
- Travelling
- Apprenticeships
- Get advice from your teachers on what to do
- Get in contact with various universities in clearing
- Foundation years

You still have so many options to choose from here! Don’t think of it as a sign of permanent failure and huge yourself the confidence and motivation to push forward :smile:

Hope this helps,
Dom
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by McGinger
Go into school and talk to staff about what to do next.

Its FIXABLE - resits, applying to different Unis next year, apprenticeships etc

how do you find apprenticeship courses, is that on ucas too
Reply 6
Original post by 04MR17
Hello again - how we doing? :hello:
2. To help you fully I'm going to need to know what course you'd be wanting to do at uni? Had you applied already?
3. Next I need to know what your status is on UCAS Hub

Third thing, I wrote a big thread about if things don't go to plan on results day, would you open this in another tab for me?
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7384821

I did Bio, Chem and maths. I wanted to do biomed BSc. I’m on clearing now since I missed my offers
Reply 7
Original post by MoneyMase2020
how do you find apprenticeship courses, is that on ucas too

Search here - https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship
and https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/
Reply 8
I got EEE same subjects. think resits is the only way forward honestly.
Reply 9
Original post by Kash7

Go into school - and talk to staff today.
Reply 10
Original post by McGinger
Go into school - and talk to staff today.

If I go into apprenticeship, will I still be eligible for student loan after if I wanted to do an undergrad later?
I did Bio, Chem and maths. I wanted to do biomed BSc. I’m on clearing now since I missed my offers

Okie dokie, have a search on the UCAS Clearing search - can you see any biomed courses on there? Potentially with a foundation year?
Original post by Kash7

As above, go into your school and talk about resits. Honestly for you this might be the most sensible option.
More importantly - how are you feeling? :hugs:
If I go into apprenticeship, will I still be eligible for student loan after if I wanted to do an undergrad later?

Should be, yes. @murpo could you confirm?

Hi there @Minminwun,

Please try not to worry, these results won't define your life and there are lots of options available. Have you thought about ringing various universities and going through Clearing? They will be able to guide you through this process and help discuss the options available to you. You could also speak to your college about options to resit your exams.

Whatever you choose I wish you the best of luck.
Sarah
Reply 14

Yes, not a problem - apprenticeships don't 'use up' any of your loan entitlement.

Hi there, there will probably be so many people suggesting the same thing but the key thing to remember is that even if you have received results you are disappointed in, it's not the end of the road and you have a lot of options when it comes to thinking about what to do with your future.

Taking a year out to travel, work, and gain some more experience in the Biomdeical Science field through other avenues, like work experience or internships, are all things that will enhance your application if you decide to go to university next year.

If you decide to go down the clearing route for the Biomedical science course, I would suggest researching different university courses with a list of the most important things to you. There are the basic questions like: Does this university offer the course I’m interested in? What GCSEs do I need to get onto this course? How many A-levels (or other level 3 courses) do I need, and what subjects should I study in order to enrol?

However, you should also be thinking about how far the university is from your home, whether you need accommodation in your first year, what the campus/city is like, does the university represent your interests and values. Think about your personal priorities and know that you still have the valid option of going to uni :smile:

I hope this helps and don't feel that you have to rush into a decision!

Best wishes,

Maddy
WrexhamUniReps

Hello,

First of all congratulations on passing you A-Levels!

Even though you may be feeling disappointed, try and be open-minded and consider all of your possible options :smile:

There are several universities that have places for many courses through clearing; university can still be an option if you want it to be :smile:

We are here to help at the University of Suffolk if you need advice or would like to chat to someone about clearing options - Here is out clearing phone line 01473 338352

Best of luck!
Scarlett

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending