The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2014

Hey,:biggrin:
I decided to start a thread for the 2014 entry to bm6 medicine course at Southampton.
If your applying to this course post application stats such as gsce's, ukcat, etc and any other relevant information like work xp.
also if anyone has and experience or tips for the application process I guess this would be a good place to post

Also, are you guys coming to the summer school.
(
http://www.southampton.ac.uk/schoolsandcolleges/residentials/bm6_medicine.html)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, I'm a current BM6 (2012) so if anyone has any questions or wants any info about Southampton or the BM6 course leading up to your application please feel free to PM me or ask on this thread! It's an amazing course and best of luck for all of those who are considering to apply for the BM6 course. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by tobnot
Hey, I'm a current BM6 (2012) so if anyone has any questions or wants any info about Southampton or the BM6 course leading up to your application please feel free to PM me or ask on this thread! It's an amazing course and best of luck for all of those who are considering to apply for the BM6 course. :smile:

I just feel exited about BM6 by reading your post! (in all seriousness :h:)

By the way, How important is the personal statement when it comes to the BM6 application procedure?

Thanks!!
I have been waiting for this thread for a while. I cant believe its here makes everything seem so real. Hopefully we will all get offers :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by SchoolKid.
I have been waiting for this thread for a while. I cant believe its here makes everything seem so real. Hopefully we will all get offers :smile:

Can't wait, btw what did you get for GCSE?
Original post by CoolRunner
Can't wait, btw what did you get for GCSE?

I got poor GCSE results but luckily its just enought to apply for BM6. I got AAABBBCCDF

What did you get if you dont mind me asking?
Reply 6
Hey everyone!
I'm going to apply to this course and was wondering if anyone could tell me about their experience of the application process?
Thanks in anticipation! :biggrin:
Oh, I forgot, are any of you going to Southampton for the open day in a couple of weeks?
Reply 7
Original post by Chloe:')
Hey everyone!
I'm going to apply to this course and was wondering if anyone could tell me about their experience of the application process?
Thanks in anticipation! :biggrin:
Oh, I forgot, are any of you going to Southampton for the open day in a couple of weeks?

Hey Chloe :hello:

What I hear is that Southampton mainly focuses (for BM6) on the personal statement and interview, grades not so much (also the UKCAT).

& Yeah, I'm gonna be at the open day too (5th of July) :colondollar:

EDIT: Do you meet any of the criteria for BM6? Just curious :holmes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Hey Chloe :hello:

What I hear is that Southampton mainly focuses (for BM6) on the personal statement and interview, grades not so much (also the UKCAT).

& Yeah, I'm gonna be at the open day too (5th of July) :colondollar:

EDIT: Do you meet any of the criteria for BM6? Just curious :holmes:

Okay! Thanks very much :smile:
Oh that's a shame, I'll be at the one on the 6th so we'll miss each other!
I meet a few of the criteria; I'm a first generation applicant to higher education, the 16-19 bursary one and the in receipt of a means tested benefit. What about you? Do you meet any of the criteria?
Thanks for your answer :biggrin:
Reply 9
Okay! Thanks very much :smile:
Oh that's a shame, I'll be at the one on the 6th so we'll miss each other!
I meet a few of the criteria; I'm a first generation applicant to higher education, the 16-19 bursary one and the in receipt of a means tested benefit. What about you? Do you meet any of the criteria?
Thanks for your answer :biggrin:

Yeah, I meet the same criteria as you, but 2 more criteria (fsm, deprived area) so 5/6 of all criteria.

Aww, thats a shame! the one on the 6th is fully booked LOL :tongue:.

EDIT: What other unis (apart from soton) are you also thinking to apply for?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Yeah, I meet the same criteria as you, but 2 more criteria (fsm, deprived area) so 5/6 of all criteria.

Aww, thats a shame! the one on the 6th is fully booked LOL :tongue:.

EDIT: What other unis (apart from soton) are you also thinking to apply for?

I might qualify for the deprived area one too but I'm not really sure how you go about checking!? Haha! I technically could qualify for the fsm too, but we've never gone about filling out a form, my siblings and I all prefer packed lunches anyway!
Yes, such a shame!

I'm thinking about applying to UEA, Bart's and Lancaster. What about you?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Haha, I'm thinking about Kings, Barts and maybe Leeds (for biochem, 5th option)

Awh cool! Are you going to the Bart's Open Day on Thursday? I'm not really sure where I want to apply for a fifth option yet.. In fact I don't even know what to apply for as a fifth option! Haha
Reply 12
Haha, I'm thinking pretty much the same :smile:

Have you done much work experience? If so, what kind of things have you done, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Reply 13
Wahoo! I might see you there then, haha! Hmmm.. Maybe, but I'm pretty scared for August! I think that I probably will have to apply to a fifth choice as, by medical school standards, my GCSE's are a bit on the low side... But I'm determined to read medicine at some point - even if I do have to do it as a graduate or something!
Oh okay, that sounds quite interesting! I haven't done too much at the moment, only a couple of weeks spent in a hospital that I arranged myself. But I do have other things such as volunteering for the Red Cross, part time employment and tutoring students in maths, chemistry, biology, a little bit of everything really! And a few other things too! I have another couple of work experience placements arranged for the summer holidays in various medical related places (I just wrote to several places and waited for responses), but I'm finding it really difficult to get a placement in a GP surgery... I've written to about 6 in the local vicinity and they say that they can't accommodate the work experience. Hopefully I'll be able to find one soon!
Wahoo! I might see you there then, haha! Hmmm.. Maybe, but I'm pretty scared for August! I think that I probably will have to apply to a fifth choice as, by medical school standards, my GCSE's are a bit on the low side... But I'm determined to read medicine at some point - even if I do have to do it as a graduate or something!
Oh okay, that sounds quite interesting! I haven't done too much at the moment, only a couple of weeks spent in a hospital that I arranged myself. But I do have other things such as volunteering for the Red Cross, part time employment and tutoring students in maths, chemistry, biology, a little bit of everything really! And a few other things too! I have another couple of work experience placements arranged for the summer holidays in various medical related places (I just wrote to several places and waited for responses), but I'm finding it really difficult to get a placement in a GP surgery... I've written to about 6 in the local vicinity and they say that they can't accommodate the work experience. Hopefully I'll be able to find one soon!

TBF You got really good work experience! :hugs: I'm sure you will do fine :tongue: Anyways, GP is not really required (for southampton) just make sure you smash the UKCAT, PS and Interview!
Reply 15
TBF You got really good work experience! :hugs: I'm sure you will do fine :tongue: Anyways, GP is not really required (for southampton) just make sure you smash the UKCAT, PS and Interview!

Thank you so much for the advice! :biggrin:
Is anyone from here going to Southampton open day tommorow?
Original post by SchoolKid.
Is anyone from here going to Southampton open day tommorow?

I was, but im now going to go to the one in september.
Hey! Another ex-BM6er here. I have completed BM6 and the 1st year of BM5 now too, so will be going into my 3rd year. Happy to help with anything at all!

Luckily for you guys nothing has really changed in the process from last year, whereas BM5 applications are TOTALLY different! So good luck, let us know if we can help, and hopefully we'll be seeing you in 2014! :biggrin:
Hiya everyone. Can some ex-BM6ers help me. Basically I was rejected after interview. Is it likely that I might get an offer on results (as some people may miss their grades). Did this happen to anyone you know? Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending