The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Algorithm69
I lament the way females act in today's society. They have no self-respect any more.

These particular women act no better than some men do in society. I don't know why you are specifically pointing "females" out for this.
Original post by Damask-
How is that 'slutty?' I agree that they were out of control and should have been thrown out and it's completely unacceptable to act like that in public places, but it has nothing to do with the idea that a woman's self worth should be based solely on the amount of sex she has, or in this case how she dresses. (Which is also, like, really gross and misogynistic. :rolleyes:)

If the genders had been reversed, it wouldn't have been a girl saying to a load of drunken guys "Stop acting like players," it would have been "Stop acting like idiots."

Actually, right at the start you can see one lean over the counter, saying something about 'boobies' to a member of staff. I think that constitutes slutty behaviour. Not to mention the way they're dressed that is.
Original post by Malabarista
Actually, right at the start you can see one lean over the counter, saying something about 'boobies' to a member of staff. I think that constitutes slutty behaviour. Not to mention the way they're dressed that is.

The way they're dressed? Clearly you don't see many young girls on a night because they're dressed completely normally. Also he says "acting like sluts" you're clothes don't really constitute an action so he's saying it because she's leaning on a counter...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 143

Yeah because saying the word boobies makes you a slut. So what if she is dressed how she wants that doesn't say anything about how many partners she's had, why are you judging her? She can sleep with who she wants, why it that bad?
Original post by BooHooRah
Yeah because saying the word boobies makes you a slut. So what if she is dressed how she wants that doesn't say anything about how many partners she's had, why are you judging her? She can sleep with who she wants, why it that bad?

As predicted, it didn't take long for the ignorant feminists spouting their rhetoric to appear. Promiscuity is hardly something to which to aspire.
Reply 145
As predicted, it didn't take long for the ignorant feminists spouting their rhetoric to appear. Promiscuity is hardly something to which to aspire.

Being a judgemental sexist is nothing to aspire to. What's wrong with casual sex as long as its safe? Why not aspire to be sexually liberal if you want to? :rolleyes:

You also know nothing of this woman's sexual history and you are just slut shaming.
If a group of men were taking about sleeping with loads of women I very much doubt he'd have called them sluts, he's being sexist and giving feminists ammunition

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Casserole
I find it shocking that there are some women on here who actually think they were acting like sluts, and that the guy being a **** towards them was OK

Why?
Original post by dgeorge
May I just point out that a club is not a "public space".

If this was the manager or a worker, then it would be a different story. However, it seemed just to be another randomer.

It is a private space but open to and occupied by; the public.
Original post by LewisIsAmazen
He should have let the people who are meant to deal with it do their job and not assaulted a group of "kids"

Kids?

1. That did not look like kids to me

2. Those who are meant to deal with them, cannot do a lot of things and say a lot of things as otherwise they may loose their job or get into some trouble. So, just a light telling off, or just those girls being taken to the station and parents having to pick them off, is not goner show them how the public, the everyday people were not pleased nor amused by them.

You know what they think while drunk, and some while not drunk, standing there like some hot piece of ass, they think that the rest of us are impressed and think that theyre cool and something to envy.

If thats how you feel, good for you. Me, if Im disgusted, I will let them know, whats to feel ashamed about when your doing whats right. If theyre acting like that in a pub or nightclub, fair enough, is where they offer drinks and where those working there are used to dealing with such situations.

If those where guys messing about, of course if your a girl you may not say anything and call the cops incase they may physically attack you.

But sealed lips, do you really think thats what you should do if someone push you and others in the bus stop, at the theme park, store. What if someones beating the crap out of the kid, call the cops and wait, let the professionals handle it while the kid gets it perhaps?

I'm just saying, if you want change, you should make it happen.
Don't just say these easy words "its not my job"
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by BooHooRah

Guys are sluts
Girls are sluts

Sleep with just about anyone
Casual sex here and there

Spread your legs, spread the germs, aight nobody got time for that

Now, being serious, the only reason why I'd call her a slut, is not with the literal meaning of slut, but the way she acts at such place in front of such people.

A women can sleep with as many guys as she wants, if a guy gets called only a player for that, then that women is also only a player. If shes called a slut, then his equally one big slut.
(edited 11 years ago)
[QUOTE="PureDevotion;41799385"]
He should have let the people who are meant to deal with it do their job and not assaulted a group of "kids"

Kids?

1. That did not look like kids to me

2. Those who are meant to deal with them, cannot do a lot of things and say a lot of things as otherwise they may loose their job or get into some trouble. So, just a light telling off, or just those girls being taken to the station and parents having to pick them off, is not goner show them how the public, the everyday people were not pleased nor amused by them.

You know what they think while drunk, and some while not drunk, standing there like some hot piece of ass, they think that the rest of us are impressed and think that theyre cool and something to envy.

If thats how you feel, good for you. Me, if Im disgusted, I will let them know, whats to feel ashamed about when your doing whats right. If theyre acting like that in a pub or nightclub, fair enough, is where they offer drinks and where those working there are used to dealing with such situations.

If those where guys messing about, of course if your a girl you may not say anything and call the cops incase they may physically attack you.

But sealed lips, do you really think thats what you should do if someone push you and others in the bus stop, at the theme park, store. What if someones beating the crap out of the kid, call the cops and wait, let the professionals handle it while the kid gets it perhaps?

I'm just saying, if you want change, you should make it happen.
Don't just say these easy words "its not my job"

I'm not saying they're kids, he refers to them as kids. If I was in my 40's and saw a groups of girls I thought were "kids" I would not try and be so intimidating and actually physically push them around.

There would have been someone senior there, he won't lose his job for telling rowdy drunk girls to leave. The police are there to deal with it if the staff can't.

So we shouldn't arrest pedophiles because then they won't see how the public is not amused? We should just let people take their own justice? No we would decent into chaos. Rules are there for a reason.

You do know what you're doing when you're drunk but things that would seem stupid when you're sober often seem like a good idea, hence why practically everyone does stupid things when they drink.

There's a difference between voicing disgust at their behaviour and trying to intimidate them, and physically pushing them around.

But there's a difference, those girls were not posing a danger to anyone, if you saw someone being assaulted that's different, but those girls weren't hurting anyone they were just acting stupidly because they were drunk

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 152
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow

Yes...but it's still a private space.
Original post by dgeorge
Yes...but it's still a private space.

:facepalm:

There's a difference between private property (i.e. property that's considered under the sole jurisdiction of a given persons home) and private property that's operated for use by the public.

That's why the same laws don't apply; you're able to discriminate as you wish against people coming into your home but you're not allowed to discriminate against people that are coming to use your business (i.e. race/sexual orientation) despite both being "private space".

Please don't use terminology that you have absolutely no understanding of.

There's a difference between private property (i.e. property that's considered under the sole jurisdiction of a given persons home) and private property that's operated for use by the public.

That's why the same laws don't apply; you're able to discriminate as you wish against people coming into your home but you're not allowed to discriminate against people that are coming to use your business (i.e. race/sexual orientation) despite both being "private space".

There are a lot of times when you are allowed to discriminate against who comes on to your property even if it's open to public use. Not necessarily on the two grounds that you've mentioned, but you can still discriminate as you have the right to ask anyone you like to leave

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are a lot of times when you are allowed to discriminate against who comes on to your property even if it's open to public use. Not necessarily on the two grounds that you've mentioned, but you can still discriminate as you have the right to ask anyone you like to leave

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are correct - you have the right to refuse service without giving a reason. Essentially, what I'm getting at is that implying that it is a "private space" in the same way that your home is, is incorrect. Due to its role as an establishment for use by the public it is subject to a number of rules and regulations that essentially (whether you're arguing semantics or not) make it a public space.
Didn't see any sluts, saw some girls drunk after a night out getting their McDonalds?

Seems like a pretty standard scene at some small wee hours of the night at a take-away?

That guy was daft, first pushing that girl? Assault. Needless assault, a drunk girl at a McDonalds otherwise not hurting anyone wasn't his concern. I wouldn't be surprised or sorry for him if he had got pepper-sprayed.

Secondly, they would have eaten their food, and then in all likelihood left, the hassle? The Staff might have had to clean up a bit of rubbish (omg the horror of actually having to clean your place of employment sometimes!!??) without fuss and got on with their shift. They would have to do a clean-up at close anyway.

Yeah yeah the girls could behave a little better, handle their drink better but considering their inebriation planking the till bar is hardly a massive sin.

So in summary:

- No sluts (as far as I'm aware).

- The bloke committed assault.

- Needless escalation of a common and harmless scene in the small hours of a fast food place.

- The staff themselves decide what is acceptable and what isn't, if they don't want the hassle, then unless someone is in danger of being harmed, stay out of it.
Reply 157

I'll admit that I didn't read through properly and interpret what you said (As I say below)

That being said, the guy who intervened HAD NO LEGAL STANDING to physically touch (technically assault) the girls, simply because it was a public space.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 158

Re reading what you said, I see I misinterpreted you. My fault, since I didn't really read properly. A restaurant, while a private property, is a public space. I DO know the difference, just didn't think through it very carefully.

That being said, my main point still stands.
Original post by dgeorge
I'll admit that I didn't read through properly and interpret what you said (As I say below)

That being said, the guy who intervened HAD NO LEGAL STANDING to physically touch (technically assault) the girls, simply because it was a public space.

It is in the public interest that people be kept from harm and it is within reasonable boundaries for a member of the public to cross what would usually be a border, in order to promote public safety.

It is for this same reason that we have bouncers in clubs that will forcibly remove people who are drunk/disorderly/abusive etc. despite the fact that they are ordinary citizens with no official authoritative power.

Latest

Trending

Trending