The Student Room Group

Bristol VS Queen Mary London

Hello everybody,

Right now I am holding offers from Bristol and Queen Mary and I am really confused not knowing which one to choose, so I post it on here to get some opinion :smile:

What I care about most is employability. I know that Bristol is better known for its reputation but I also heard that QM is a up coming uni and its Law department is very good :s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:

I have done some researches on this subject but most of the answers turned out to be in early 2011 which is quite a while ago :confused: What do they meant by the area QM is in (i'm an international student so i have absolutely no idea about the georaphic things :biggrin:)

Final question, is Bristol a busy city because I am not keen on a too-peaceful-and-quiet area (like where I'm current ly at, North Wales :frown::frown::frown:)

Please give me a piece of your mind; they would be very much appriciated :smile::smile::smile:
Original post by tom_nguyen
Hello everybody,

Right now I am holding offers from Bristol and Queen Mary and I am really confused not knowing which one to choose, so I post it on here to get some opinion :smile:

What I care about most is employability. I know that Bristol is better known for its reputation but I also heard that QM is a up coming uni and its Law department is very good :s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:

I have done some researches on this subject but most of the answers turned out to be in early 2011 which is quite a while ago :confused: What do they meant by the area QM is in (i'm an international student so i have absolutely no idea about the georaphic things :biggrin:)

Final question, is Bristol a busy city because I am not keen on a too-peaceful-and-quiet area (like where I'm current ly at, North Wales :frown::frown::frown:)

Please give me a piece of your mind; they would be very much appriciated :smile::smile::smile:

2011 is not quite a while ago.

Someone asking that question in early 2011 will currently be a second year student. They will be applying for training contracts now. In other words the issue of the employability of their degree is yet to be tested.

There is another thread where someone has made the same point in respect of postings from 2005 for two other universities but even there:

2005 TSR comment
2005/8 Undergrad
2008/9 LPC
2009/10 Year paralegalling as did not secure TC in 2007/8 applications cycle but did in 2008/9
2010/12 TC
2012/13 Currently unemployed as not retained following completion of TC

A 17 year old may think that 2 years is a very long time. A 50 year old litigation partner whose most important case has been ongoing for 7 years is not likely to share that opinion.

The point of all this is that views about the merits of universities are formed over decades not a year or two.
Reply 3
Thanks a lot for the advice and information given :smile:

According to you then it should be Bristol all the way then :biggrin: The reason I consider QM is the fact that it is located in London, which I assume there will be more chance for me to get internships, working experience, making connections etc in order to secure a TC after graduate :-s

However, I'm still a bit curious why people say that the area QM located is considered "Not very nice" :-/
Reply 4
Let's just say that QMC has onsite police and security, sniffer dogs and barbed wire around the perimeter. (Maybe not the sniffer dogs.) I felt far safer in Bristol than I felt at QMC.

I think you're over-thinking whether being in London would give you any advantage for getting work experience or making connections. It really wouldn't. The quality of the university that you attended would more than neutralise any geographical element. Besides, Bristol has many great law firms in the unlikely event that you would be doing work experience during term time, and during holidays you would just go to wherever you can get work experience in order to perform it.

Yes, Bristol is a busy and exciting city. There won't be the slightest risk of you confusing it with North Wales.
Reply 5
Original post by tom_nguyen

However, I'm still a bit curious why people say that the area QM located is considered "Not very nice" :-/

It's in Mile End.

My only memory of Queen Mary was on a law taster course I did there last summer, when we had a tour of the campus and the tour guide tried to explain how the graveyard on site was romantic. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending