The Student Room Group

I'm considering taking another year at college.

I've had a few complicated years with A levels. I suffered with some very serious health and personal issues in lower and upper sixth. This resulted in me not getting the grades that I want. Therefore, I decided to swap from school to college and I'm now on track to get A*A*A* in English, History and Biology. However, due to my track record a lot of universities were reluctant to give me a place. Nonetheless, I spoke to one of these universities and they suggested that If i do get my predicted grades I should apply again the next year and try and get an unconditional offer. According to them they won't even acknowledge the fact that I've taken them over three years.

I'm half tempted to do, however, the only thing is I'll be 20 by the time I start uni. Also, I'm also tempted to do this, as my college have said to me that I can stay another year if I like. I always wanted to do other subjects and I'd be interested in having a relaxing year just learning and not worrying about the results of my exams. In this year I'd probably retake my AS in Mathematics with statistics, and I would do A levels in Classics and Drama. I'm also considering taking the SAT so that I can apply to universities in the states.

What is everyones thoughts on doing this?
If the only thing stopping you is the fact that you'll be 20' Then it doesn't look like you've got much of a decision to make. I would be careful of what admission tutors say. They can promise you the world, and then bring your world crashing down. They just want as many applicants as possible.

There's really no point doing A-Levels for the sake of it. You'd be much better of working full time in some capacity or at least maybe studying at the OU/employers won't look kindly on someone who appeared to spend 4 years at college regardless of where they end up.

Taking the SATS, well you nee to decide whether A, you can afford to fund a US undergrad degree or qualify for full financial aid. If the answer to both is no, then it's not worth it.

Where have you currently got offers from?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending