The Student Room Group

I'm 18 years old girl from Uppsala. Do you like Swedish people ?

I'm going to study in the UK from this September and I'm worried whether people will like me as I don't know anyone.

Apparently the British associate us with two remarkable events that happened recently:

[video="youtube;jPmZNoZvcKE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPmZNoZvcKE[/video]

and the football match

What do you think about us ? :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are you blonde?
Reply 2
I think your username indicates that it's not your nationality that would stop people liking you
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by HostileBitch
I'm going to study in the UK from this September and I'm worried whether people will like me as I don't know anyone.

The general view in the UK (and most of the planet) is that Swedish people (and other Scandinavians too) are very risk-averse people for whom conformism is a very important part of their culture (Jante Law mentality, very high personal tax rates etc.).
Reply 4
I don't know anyone who associates the Swede's with that. To me, you all look like this:

Swedish people are amazing! Like all Nordics, they're very nice, have a brilliant accent and they're very funny!
Reply 6

Apparently the British associate us with two remarkable events that happened recently:

who on earth told you that? It's not true at all...
I tend to believe Swedes are associated with their famous meatballs :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Things we associate with Sweden:
* Ikea
* Meatballs (like the ones they sell at Ikea)
* Very attractive women
* A very progressive and tolerant society
* Cold
I went to Sweden in 2011 and it was the nicest country I have ever been too. i love scandinavia in general in fact I'm learning Norwegian now so I can go and live in that area when I'm older. :smile:

and the football match

Hey where are you going to study ? = ) I'm from the coast of Poland so I've interacted with Swedish people quite a lot.

By the way this video is something I have never heard of. What was I doing with my life in 2008 :s-smilie:
Reply 11
I used to live in Sweden and can honestly say they are overrated.
You'll probably get a lot of attention from men. We have a lot of respect for the Nordic countries and the media often presents them as utopian. We tend to think of them as better than us in terms of progressivism but also a highly conformist culture and people from there can come across a bit "wooden". I think of Sweden and Norway as similar to Switzerland.
Original post by scrotgrot
I think of Sweden and Norway as similar to Switzerland.

:bricks:
Jesus christ that clip was distressing
I just associate you guys with Ikea. But to be honest, if you're a hostile female dog you're not going to get far.
Swedes are much better looking than norwegians. :ahee:
Reply 17
Hey... I'm German and we definitely like Sweden!!

I live in London though and thank Sweden for the cool IKEA they've given us :tongue:... Oh and let me mention that Kottbullar tastes amazing!!
Reply 18
Original post by EvilOfficer
Hey where are you going to study ? = ) I'm from the coast of Poland so I've interacted with Swedish people quite a lot.

By the way this video is something I have never heard of. What was I doing with my life in 2008 :s-smilie:

Haha cool I've been to Gdansk so many times and experienced Sopot nightlife as well. I'm going to study in London or in Scotland I still don't know which university to firm that's why I joined TSR.

Sorry if my English is not perfect okay ?
Reply 19
Original post by brainx
Hey... I'm German and we definitely like Sweden!!

I live in London though and thank Sweden for the cool IKEA they've given us :tongue:... Oh and let me mention that Kottbullar tastes amazing!!

Germans are our distant cousins xD ! Hello ! Yes I'm considering London university and Scottish university as my firms

Quick Reply

Latest