The Student Room Group

Audiology VS Optometry

Audiology or optometry as careers - future?

Im 17 at 6th form studying AS Art, Maths, Biology and Physics.
(Tbh I'm finding maths and physics more challenging than I expected.)

What's the future is likely to be for Optometry and Audiology?

I've read that audiology is the new optometry - basically going to expand and become popular - is that true?

Any pros and cons would be helpful

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Optometry is very maths based, my ex did a foundation degree distance learning to be an d.o which has set him up for the oo course. I also have a friend who has done the D.O and now doing the audiology. Specsavers ate good at funding you to do the foundation degree and see whether you enjoy it?! But I personally could not do the oo my maths is crap!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tania2396
Audiology or optometry as careers - uture?

Im 17 at 6th form studying AS Art, Maths, Biology and Physics.
(Tbh I'm finding maths and physics more challenging than I expected.)

What's the future is likely to be for Optometry and Audiology?

I've read that audiology is the new optometry - basically going to expand and become popular - is that true?

Any pros and cons would be helpful

Audiology is deffo the future. Theres more funding available for it too. Most my life I wanted to be an optom but I changed my mind last september after shadowing. Audiology is alot more personal with the patient and u can work in the nhs and private. The figure is something stupid like 10tjousands optoms to every 100 audiologists.

You have a little bit of time so arrange some work experience In both fields.. I found it pretty easy to go into the hospital audiology department and get some. Its also worth looking at grade requirements realistically.
Good luck though. :biggrin: I have my offers now and remember being in your position!
Original post by somebodyguideme
Audiology is deffo the future. Theres more funding available for it too. Most my life I wanted to be an optom but I changed my mind last september after shadowing. Audiology is alot more personal with the patient and u can work in the nhs and private. The figure is something stupid like 10tjousands optoms to every 100 audiologists.

You have a little bit of time so arrange some work experience In both fields.. I found it pretty easy to go into the hospital audiology department and get some. Its also worth looking at grade requirements realistically.
Good luck though. :biggrin: I have my offers now and remember being in your position!

thank you for the info
do you know what the salary is like for an audiologist - perhaps the starting out salary and the 5+ years after grad salary?

whats the best uni for audiology?

do you mind me asking what A levels you did?
thank you for the info
do you know what the salary is like for an audiologist - perhaps the starting out salary and the 5+ years after grad salary?

whats the best uni for audiology?

do you mind me asking what A levels you did?

I think pretty good - anywhere between 25 and 80k... go and check the nhs pay scales cos thats more accurate.
I dont think there is really a best uni and the course is pretty new.. I am doing bio psych and english.
Reply 5
does any 1 know the general entry requirments for them both?
After reading up on both and shadowing an optometrist, I'd definitely say audiology.

Not sure what the entry requirements are, you'd have to look them up.
According to the man I shadowed, there's a fair bit of physics and maths involved in optom, particularly the former.
I think pretty good - anywhere between 25 and 80k... go and check the nhs pay scales cos thats more accurate.
I dont think there is really a best uni and the course is pretty new.. I am doing bio psych and english.

yeh okay, but one thing i dont understand is how can you move up the nhs bands in terms of salary?
oh quite different to my choices! Is there a lot of essay-based work in audiology?
Original post by IA11
does any 1 know the general entry requirments for them both?

most optometry courses are asking for 340/360 ucas points (AAB-AAA)

audiology courses are asking for 300-340 (BBB-AAB)

Original post by Swords N Thorns
After reading up on both and shadowing an optometrist, I'd definitely say audiology.

Not sure what the entry requirements are, you'd have to look them up.
According to the man I shadowed, there's a fair bit of physics and maths involved in optom, particularly the former.

but why audiology over optometry? I really need to organise some shadowing for both fields
most optometry courses are asking for 340/360 ucas points (AAB-AAA)

audiology courses are asking for 300-340 (BBB-AAB)

but why audiology over optometry? I really need to organise some shadowing for both fields

You move up with experience and like all jobs there are differen positions. Furthermore, if u go into pricste sector u get commission depending on how many hearing aids you sell - which works out better. Also, they are freezing the optometry pay as there are so many optoms... as a locum audiologist you can make 60 + quid an hour. It is all with experience.

Can I also just say, do not let what you study at university be so heavily based on careers or money - people who do this usually end up being unhappy and full of regret. For optom or audio u can do training after graduating.

I dont know about it being essay based - depends on uni I guess. There are many clinical placements and as with all courses, a million paged disso at the end!

With optom u will see about 40 patients a day and so u will not build a relationship. With audio, u will spend an hour with a patient and then also see them often. So if youre more into communication and relationships, audio ia the way.
You move up with experience and like all jobs there are differen positions. Furthermore, if u go into pricste sector u get commission depending on how many hearing aids you sell - which works out better. Also, they are freezing the optometry pay as there are so many optoms... as a locum audiologist you can make 60 + quid an hour. It is all with experience.

Can I also just say, do not let what you study at university be so heavily based on careers or money - people who do this usually end up being unhappy and full of regret. For optom or audio u can do training after graduating.

I dont know about it being essay based - depends on uni I guess. There are many clinical placements and as with all courses, a million paged disso at the end!

With optom u will see about 40 patients a day and so u will not build a relationship. With audio, u will spend an hour with a patient and then also see them often. So if youre more into communication and relationships, audio ia the way.

thank you for the info
im actually hearing impaired myself since the age of 2 so i feel that audiology would be interesting to study
im currently deciding between audiology optometry and architecture
Reply 11
Many people are talking about "shadowing" here.
May I ask how you get to shadow either an optometrist or an audiologist?
Original post by sp-ike96x

well im still having trouble to get an audiology work experience placement as the paper work takes a long time - I've met a couple of people who work in that sector and asked for help from them

For optometry the best to do (which I did) is to email or ask several practices if they would allow you to shadow some people for a few days. major chains like specsavers, vision express would ignore my emails but its best to try private or small practices! I managed to get only one response out of the 15 practices that I contacted! - most which were big chains businesses

I've done one day so far at the opticians but they allowed me to go home at 1pm as Mondays aren't busy days at all :/ it made me question whether their business performs well or not
Reply 13
well im still having trouble to get an audiology work experience placement as the paper work takes a long time - I've met a couple of people who work in that sector and asked for help from them

For optometry the best to do (which I did) is to email or ask several practices if they would allow you to shadow some people for a few days. major chains like specsavers, vision express would ignore my emails but its best to try private or small practices! I managed to get only one response out of the 15 practices that I contacted! - most which were big chains businesses

I've done one day so far at the opticians but they allowed me to go home at 1pm as Mondays aren't busy days at all :/ it made me question whether their business performs well or not

thanks i'll get onto doing that then!
so what exactly is your shadowing schedule? Do you think it best if I do it during the summer?

And about the last thing you said, that's probably one of the reasons why I'm slightly apprehensive about Optometry...
thanks i'll get onto doing that then!
so what exactly is your shadowing schedule? Do you think it best if I do it during the summer?

And about the last thing you said, that's probably one of the reasons why I'm slightly apprehensive about Optometry...

What do you mean? I just went in around 9:45 and met the staff, there was an appointment around 10:30 which I sat in which lasted about 20 mins. the optician was quite helpful as she would name the equipment she was using and its purpose!
another appointment was straight after which was almost the same just slightly shorter

She did say that the more complex equipment requires the patients to pay (she quoted about £50) which means many of them opt out of it - leading to a very simple eye check and that's it - nothing exactly very very exciting.

Any time is fine tbh - I just have signed up to do 'The Challenge' during the beginning of the summer holidays and then im off on holiday abroad with my family after results day so I'm limited on when I can do work experience which is annoying!! :angry:

Yeah I understand, its something that I hope to bring up on my next day of work experience and ask whats the future likely to be like according to the optometrists

Seems I was quite lucky. I started chatting to my optom at Specsavers about how I was interested in either Optom or Audio but wasn't sure... and she said I could stay and watch a few of her appointments, which I wasn't able to do that day but asked if I could another day so we arranged. During that period, that specsavers branch also became an 'audiology' specsavers, so I asked if I could shadow one of the audiologists.

I also had an appointment in January at the hospital and mentioned I had applied for audiology at university to the audiologist and then we got chatting about the career. I said I had only experienced the private sector so it'd be interesting to see what NHS work was like... he gave me details of audiology 'head', who I managed to speak to and she said if an audiologist at the hospital was happy to let me then she was happy to allow it. - I ended up shadowing the guy who had given me her details and it was very interesting!

Sorry for the ramble! But basically, if you portray yourself as extremely enthusiastic and committed then you will easily manage to gain some experience. If anything, ask to shadow for a few hours, and build from there. It's also a good idea to take your CV with you :smile: I managed to get an offer from all 5 of my choices and I think alot of it was based on my work experience and my personal statement!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
What do you mean? I just went in around 9:45 and met the staff, there was an appointment around 10:30 which I sat in which lasted about 20 mins. the optician was quite helpful as she would name the equipment she was using and its purpose!
another appointment was straight after which was almost the same just slightly shorter

She did say that the more complex equipment requires the patients to pay (she quoted about £50) which means many of them opt out of it - leading to a very simple eye check and that's it - nothing exactly very very exciting.

Any time is fine tbh - I just have signed up to do 'The Challenge' during the beginning of the summer holidays and then im off on holiday abroad with my family after results day so I'm limited on when I can do work experience which is annoying!! :angry:

Yeah I understand, its something that I hope to bring up on my next day of work experience and ask whats the future likely to be like according to the optometrists

lol yeah
thats what I meant by scheduling!
Seems pretty straightforward then
I'm going off on a holiday pretty early and comeback around mid-July so I guess I'll try and do my shadowing then along with other work experience placements like charities and stuff.

Seems I was quite lucky. I started chatting to my optom at Specsavers about how I was interested in either Optom or Audio but wasn't sure... and she said I could stay and watch a few of her appointments, which I wasn't able to do that day but asked if I could another day so we arranged. During that period, that specsavers branch also became an 'audiology' specsavers, so I asked if I could shadow one of the audiologists.

I also had an appointment in January at the hospital and mentioned I had applied for audiology at university to the audiologist and then we got chatting about the career. I said I had only experienced the private sector so it'd be interesting to see what NHS work was like... he gave me details of audiology 'head', who I managed to speak to and she said if an audiologist at the hospital was happy to let me then she was happy to allow it. - I ended up shadowing the guy who had given me her details and it was very interesting!

Sorry for the ramble! But basically, if you portray yourself as extremely enthusiastic and committed then you will easily manage to gain some experience. If anything, ask to shadow for a few hours, and build from there. It's also a good idea to take your CV with you :smile: I managed to get an offer from all 5 of my choices and I think alot of it was based on my work experience and my personal statement!

well you've seriously motivated me thats for sure!
Did you find writing your personal statement hard as you were still unsure whether to go for Optometry or Audiology or by the time you had come to write it, did you already have a specific course you were planning to do?

Thankyou both for such amazing replies btw
much appreciated!
As a practicing optometrist, I would say 40 patients a day is a lie. The minimum testing time in a 7,5hr shift is 25 mins including 45 to 1hr break. Someone do the test. What is the maximum number of patients that an optometrist can see.
I am an optometrist an I absolutely love my jobs. My day is so unpredictable, one minute I can have a simple refraction and the next it could be someone with a retinal detachment needing urgent referral to the hospital. I love communicating with people from all walks of life. The 3 year old that loves pepper pig, the 12 year old one direction fan, the 25 year old fitness instructor or the 72 year old that climbed mount kilimanjaro. Don't ever let people tell you it's boring. A job is what you make it. I am comfortable with my pay too.
(edited 10 years ago)

Hi! This is really late, but I noticed you said you are doing Bio, Psych and English which is the same for me. I am in in first year sixthform now, looking to do Audiology. I wanted to ask, what did you do with these subjects at uni?

Quick Reply

Latest