The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCE Biology Unit 4 6BI04 June 2013

I've looked around, but there doesn't seem to be a thread about this. This is one of the harder exams, I feel and if we could all share some resources etc, it might be helpful!

Grade boundaries are as follows for A*/A/B:

Jan 2013 - 67/63/59
June 2012 - 63/58/53
Jan 2012 - 67/62/57
June 2011 - 60/56/52
Jan 2011 - 58/54/50
June 2010 - 63/58/53
Jan 10 - No A*/59/55

all out of 90.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nukethemaly
I've looked around, but there doesn't seem to be a thread about this. This is one of the harder exams, I feel and if we could all share some resources etc, it might be helpful!

Grade boundaries are as follows for A*/A/B:

Jan 2013 - 67/63/59
June 2012 - 63/58/53
Jan 2012 - 67/62/57
June 2011 - 60/56/52
Jan 2011 - 58/54/50
June 2010 - 63/58/53
Jan 10 - No A*/59/55

all out of 90.

This unit will probably be my downfall :L how confident do you feel about biology on the whole?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by amberee
This unit will probably be my downfall :L how confident do you feel about biology on the whole?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel the same way! i've made notes etc, but i have done a few papers, but I haven't done them under exam conditions, and I also need to do a few old spec papers. NOT ENOUGH TIME! How's your revision going?
I feel the same way! i've made notes etc, but i have done a few papers, but I haven't done them under exam conditions, and I also need to do a few old spec papers. NOT ENOUGH TIME! How's your revision going?

Haven't done many past papers yet :s-smilie: been mostly revising. My class is still on topic 8 and we've only just started the article so the pressure is on! I just make notes using the spec it's quite helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by amberee
Haven't done many past papers yet :s-smilie: been mostly revising. My class is still on topic 8 and we've only just started the article so the pressure is on! I just make notes using the spec it's quite helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah once I start past papers, I'm going to aim to do the same! I'm also going to make mark scheme notes for like format questions.
Reply 5
LOL. I'm currently revising the ecology, DNA, and diseases chapters for my written alternative(unit 6) tomorrow.
Reply 6
It makes me a bit worry everyone's doing past papers for unit 4 whereas I'm still making notes and learning it all before I do any past papers! However as well as this got unit 5 and unit 2 biology :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by huma95
It makes me a bit worry everyone's doing past papers for unit 4 whereas I'm still making notes and learning it all before I do any past papers! However as well as this got unit 5 and unit 2 biology :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi
Im also sitting unit 5 this June (much more worried about that unit and the pre release article arrgghh!). I did my first past paper yesterday and still have a lot to really get to grips with, so dont worry you arent the only one!

So any body have any thoughts as to what might come up?
Reply 8
It's good in a way to know I ain't the only one but tbh in unit 5 there isn't much in it so they can ask you anything as I have looked at previous past papers and they ask nearly everything! But if yu look at unit 5 January 2013 that was an easy paper so I'm assuming June one is gonna be hard :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Literally haven't revised for it much or attempted past papers and its in two weeks time :frown:
Original post by Satta101
Literally haven't revised for it much or attempted past papers and its in two weeks time :frown:

Still plenty of time depending on how many exams you have :smile:

I'm doing Unit 1, 2, 4 and 5 this summer and I think this is one of the easier ones. Unit 2 (I REALLY HATE PLANTS!!!) and 5 are the ones I'm really worried about. I've literally just finished doing all my notes for biology so it's flashcards and past papers for the next couple of weeks!
Reply 11
Original post by explicit4u
Still plenty of time depending on how many exams you have :smile:

I'm doing Unit 1, 2, 4 and 5 this summer and I think this is one of the easier ones. Unit 2 (I REALLY HATE PLANTS!!!) and 5 are the ones I'm really worried about. I've literally just finished doing all my notes for biology so it's flashcards and past papers for the next couple of weeks!

Ah! I feel your pain! I'm also doing Unit 2, 4 and 5 and to be honest I'm scared for all of them!! I hate plants too! Why do they have to be so annoying. I've done my notes, I just need to do past papers too but I literally can't myself to do them!! :frown:
soo any guesses like what might come in unit 4...anyone?
Original post by huma95

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by peanutt
Hi
Im also sitting unit 5 this June (much more worried about that unit and the pre release article arrgghh!). I did my first past paper yesterday and still have a lot to really get to grips with, so dont worry you arent the only one!

So any body have any thoughts as to what might come up?

In exactly the same position, gonna start today :tongue:. Done unit 2 to death
Reply 14
Has anyone revised over the immune system yet? I have a question, during the humoral response could it be either a B cell or a macrophage that becomes a antigen-presenting cell to activate the T-helper cells? Or is it just macrophages that become APCs?
Reply 15
Has anyone revised over the immune system yet? I have a question, during the humoral response could it be either a B cell or a macrophage that becomes a antigen-presenting cell to activate the T-helper cells? Or is it just macrophages that become APCs?

Both B cells and macrophages have the ability to become APCs, however with macrophages when T helper cells bind to them, thats when clone of T memory cells and clone of active T helper cells are produced. These clone of active T helper cells will then bind to the B cell APC and produce cytokines that stimulate the B cell which causes it to further differentiate into clone of B effector cells and B memory cells.

Hope this helps!
Reply 16
I think I did a few of the papers back in maybe Jan or Feb, but got awfully bored and gave up. Then I tried again over Easter and got through a few of them and now I have 3 left. I find this unit really boring with the whole ecology stuff, and the immune system is confusing. I love unit 5, but unit 5 is again much harder when it comes to the papers, so we'll see :frown:
Reply 17
Both B cells and macrophages have the ability to become APCs, however with macrophages when T helper cells bind to them, thats when clone of T memory cells and clone of active T helper cells are produced. These clone of active T helper cells will then bind to the B cell APC and produce cytokines that stimulate the B cell which causes it to further differentiate into clone of B effector cells and B memory cells.

Hope this helps!

Thanks dude!! :smile:
Reply 18
Thanks dude!! :smile:

Oh my god you have an offer from Bristol! I really really hope you get it. It's probably my first choice for when I apply this year :smile:
Reply 19
Oh my god you have an offer from Bristol! I really really hope you get it. It's probably my first choice for when I apply this year :smile:

Hahaha! Yeah! I really hope so too if the biology exams go really well! Applying for medicine too? Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending