Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Are there any prospective medical students out there, for 2014 entry?
    Where are you guys thinking of applying?
    I'm a non-UK EU-student.

ReputationRep:
    Hi !
    Yes, I am thinking of applying for Graduate Entry 2014 entry. I am an international student as well adn am thinking of applying to KCL and Warwick at the moment. Where are you thinking of applying?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too sure for the colleges since I can't really be choosing any with a low GPA, I'm set on bringing it up to at least a 2.99 by the end of this year and a 3.2 by the first semester and if possible a 3.4/5 by the end of next year (I think sixth-form for Britain/ I'm a junior next year {US}). I'll start applying to Universities this summer if possible, especially in Ireland and the UK, I really want to be in either Queen's Belfast or Galway. If not Ill do it a bit earlier during the year.
    I know, my grades are quite low for wanting to become a doctor, but I've got a backup plan in case medicine fails) I only chose this degree a few months before, fairly recent but I fell in love with Biology.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, non-UK EU entry for 2014 here too

Thinking about Edinburgh or Glasgow, Belfast, Cambridge and Nottingham

What about you?

ReputationRep:
    Having received four rejections this year I am ready to reapply in the summer.
    I am definitely going to reapply to Leicester but a lot of where to apply rests on the UKCAT so will have to wait and see for the other places

ReputationRep:
    hi guys Im a prospective graduate student, i still havent looked into unis..when is a good time to start revising for the ukcat?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by euphoricsmile)
    hi guys Im a prospective graduate student, i still havent looked into unis..when is a good time to start revising for the ukcat?
    Most people seem to take a couple of weeks to revise for it. So pick a date accordingly.

ReputationRep:
    Thread for all those looking to apply to medicine for 2014 entry to discuss work experience, extra curriculars, universities and everything else related to applying!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone done pre med at imperial? people have suggested it but I'm unsure whether or not I want to fork out £100 for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StraightA)
    Has anyone done pre med at imperial? people have suggested it but I'm unsure whether or not I want to fork out £100 for it?
    I wanted to do it, but its too expensive, plus my sixth form college got me on this access to professions programme at keele which did a Medicine taster day thing so I just settled with that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for graduate entry but currently on a gap year in NZ, kind of bricking it as I'm taking the UKCAT there and need to get everything sorted before I get back to England :'( I can get some work exp. when I get back, though I hope that will be enough to put in my PS!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good luck 2014 applicants, the process is long and stressful, but when you get offers at the end it will all be so worth it!

ReputationRep:
    Idk about that, I did look into it. All these medicine taster courses are so expensive! I didn't get into uniq or Sutton trust either which really sucks... I think, so long as you have work experience to reflect on, it's fine. It's up to you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm kinda bummed because I want to do Medicine but like I'm not sure whether I meet the extra-curricular requirements like D of E etc. what are other people doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegnaaarl)
    I'm kinda bummed because I want to do Medicine but like I'm not sure whether I meet the extra-curricular requirements like D of E etc. what are other people doing?
    They're more interested in what you have learnt from what you have actually done and how what you've gained will make you a good doctor in the long term. So don't worry if you haven't done something like DofE, you could make up for it in other areas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegnaaarl)
    You dont need D of E. I played no musical instrument, and only had casual sport/gaming as EC's and I managed to get through. As long as you avoid places who place a strong emphasis on EC's you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiring Medic 7)
    Idk about that, I did look into it. All these medicine taster courses are so expensive! I didn't get into uniq or Sutton trust either which really sucks... I think, so long as you have work experience to reflect on, it's fine. It's up to you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The PotMed course at Imperial is really good - I think it was about £25 last year - https://www.union.ic.ac.uk/medic/muslim/potmed-2012/

They will probably run another later this year, I'd highly recommend it!

ReputationRep:
    Im in love with Newcastle, its my first choice and I hope I get a good ukcat score fingers crossed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeyP96)
    Im in love with Newcastle, its my first choice and I hope I get a good ukcat score fingers crossed
    Me too! I want to apply to Newcastle, but it's just the stupid UKCAT. I usually suck at these kinds of tests lol...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What sort of work experience/ extra curriculars has everyone got?
    I have:

1 week in a pathology lab in a hospital
    1 week in various departments in a hospital
    1 day observation physiotherapy
    1 day observation in radiography

I also volunteer with young adults who have autism, learning disabilities, downs syndrome, physical disabilities and PMLD ( by the time i apply id have been doing that 4 a year)
    Im a sexual health peer mentor at school
    Im part of a youth council at Bham childrens hospital
    Im part of youth department of health panel
    Ive been volunteering at a charity shop for 2 years (3 when i apply)
    I volunteered at a dementia care home for a week
    I did Bronze D.of.E
    Ive been doing karate for 6 months
    I was part of an Awareness for Alopecia campaign
    Im part of a Medical Ethics group and Amnesty international group
    I do HE+ and A2P Keele Medicine
    I did Tennis for 2 years and Badminton and table tennis for 6 months

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.