The Student Room Group

Barts and the London or HYMS?

I'm in the extremely fortunate position of having offers to study Medicine this year from both unis but am really struggling to choose between them. Any advice would be appreciated!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by EmaadH
I'm in the extremely fortunate position of having offers to study Medicine this year from both unis but am really struggling to choose between them. Any advice would be appreciated!

I assume you mean Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry?
Rather than Queen Mary without the 's? I am really surprised you find this a struggle. Perhaps a little research on your part in the National Student Survey etc might be helpful and of course a good look at previous posts on this sight as well :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by GrahamRodney
I assume you mean Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry?
Rather than Queen Mary without the 's? I am really surprised you find this a struggle. Perhaps a little research on your part in the National Student Survey etc might be helpful and of course a good look at previous posts on this sight as well :smile:

Yes that's what I mean and I've change the title now. I have done a lot of research i.e read the guardian, times, NSS, posts etc. but I am still finding it difficult. HYMS has a fantastic course structure and I feel that I will learn well there. However, Barts has been an established medical school longer and its location has the added benefit of constant exposure to lots of different medical ailments. Barts is only one or two positions higher than hyms on the league tables and hyms is one or two positions higher than barts for student satisfaction...
Original post by EmaadH
Yes that's what I mean and I've change the title now. I have done a lot of research i.e read the guardian, times, NSS, posts etc. but I am still finding it difficult. HYMS has a fantastic course structure and I feel that I will learn well there. However, Barts has been an established medical school longer and its location has the added benefit of constant exposure to lots of different medical ailments. Barts is only one or two positions higher than hyms on the league tables and hyms is one or two positions higher than barts for student satisfaction...

You're not going to like this then :smile:

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Medicine
Reply 4
Perhaps take into consideration any specialties each has to offer - are you going to be more interested if they specialize in cancer research or emergency medicine or whatever their specialties are. Also don't forget to take into account the higher living/accommodation costs in London over the years of the course. My suggestion would be Barts as my son is starting there this year - he had to choose between Queens in Belfast (excellent uni) and Barts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending