The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Powerline
theres no way i can prove to you how i know that God truly exists. Just read the Bible or sumthing, all this anger is not good for me.

Well people are looking for answers, if you come here and try and preach your way of life and beliefs people will question you.

God is a quesiton a faith, so is the belief in no-god, my faith is with the non-existence of god
Powerline
theres no way i can prove to you how i know that God truly exists. Just read the Bible or sumthing, all this anger is not good for me.

But the Bible doesn't prove anything. It is written by people who believed in your god anyway, and so it is no better proof that what you have written here.

Don't you see that you are angry because you know deep down that this god doesn't exist? The only reason that you believe in your god, is because you have been brought up to. When you say that you know that your god exists, it is simply because you have convinced yourself (doubtless with the help of others) that it is so.

Your so-called "faith" is wasted. You just think that someone is listening to your prayers, but it it yourself that answer.
Reply 102
Joey_Johns
I suggest you read the bible, then compare to stories from Ancient Greece and Egypt. The whole Christian religion actually originates from Ancient Egypt.

no point. These people say that the bible was "made up" by some bored people.
Reply 103
oldthrashbarg
But the Bible doesn't prove anything. It is written by people who believed in your god anyway, and so it is no better proof that what you have written here.

Don't you see that you are angry because you know deep down that this god doesn't exist? The only reason that you believe in your god, is because you have been brought up to. When you say that you know that your god exists, it is simply because you have convinced yourself (doubtless with the help of others) that it is so.

Your so-called "faith" is wasted. You just think that someone is listening to your prayers, but it it yourself that answer.

i didnt say that the Bible proved anything. i even agree with you on this one-the bible was written by men, not God/Jesus, even though some suggest that they were guided by God.
Reply 104
oldthrashbarg

reminds me of "the colour purple" a character says "people go into church to find god but all i see is people bringing their own in"
Reply 105
MattG
what about the evil and suffering around the world?

how can a god omni-potent and the creator of this world allow such things to exist, furthermore create a world in which nature is deadly in the form of natural disasters?

i dont know. stop bothering me. i dont think that god is omninous, he gives us free will so that we can make our own decisions if we want to choose the right path, but gave us conscience to guide us if we listen.

natural disasters occur for scientific reasons - i do not believe that God makes tham things happen.

i can be bothered to explain anyway, no one listens anyway.
Powerline
i didnt say that the Bible proved anything. i even agree with you on this one-the bible was written by men, not God/Jesus, even though some suggest that they were guided by God.

Well it is good to hear that you don't believe that at least. But as far as I am aware, the Bible itself is not generally considered holy by christians (as opposed to the Qur'an).
Powerline
i dont know. stop bothering me. i dont think that god is omninous, he gives us free will so that we can make our own decisions if we want to choose the right path, but gave us conscience to guide us if we listen.

natural disasters... theres some science involved.....volcanoes erupt because...blah blah science.....earth quakes occur because...science

We do listen to what you say. We just don't agree. You can't expect to be left alone when you go around postulating things such as the existence of a god.
Reply 108
oldthrashbarg

Maybe i only do have faith in God because i was brought up to do so,. but if it is true, it is better to have believed, than not believe until it is too late.
Powerline
no point. These people say that the bible was "made up" by some bored people.

No, not made up. A lot of the stories were just altered versions of Ancient Greek, Persian and Egyptian stories. Thats the OT. The NT is a joke because non of the gospel writers actually knew Jesus. The only one who did know Jesus, Paul had his writings disregarded by early christians because they made Jesus not as PC as you'd expect. In other words he had kids, got drunk etc which doesnt make him that good a role model thus not helping this 'new' religon to catch on.
Reply 110
Powerline

natural disasters... theres some science involved.....volcanoes erupt because...blah blah science.....earth quakes occur because...science

so you think that he created the world, gave us free will and a conscience and let us go? so does he stand back and watch the world from afar, hoping and rewarding those that follow the "right" path? but ignoring those who suffer?

As David Hume has argued if God is willing but not able then God is impotent. If God is able but not willing then God is corrupt. If God is able and willing: Why is there evil?
Reply 111
oldthrashbarg
Well it is good to hear that you don't believe that at least. But as far as I am aware, the Bible itself is not generally considered holy by christians (as opposed to the Qur'an).

AS I SAID BEFORE, YOU DONT BELIEVE IN GOD, I DO!, SO LETS JUST LEAVE IT AT THAT.
Reply 112
Powerline
AS I SAID BEFORE, YOU DONT BELIEVE IN GOD, I DO!, SO LETS JUST LEAVE IT AT THAT.

no, you came on here believing athiests to be stupid

hopefully we have widened your mind :wink:
Powerline
Maybe i only do have faith in God because i was brought up to do so,. but if it is true, it is better to have believed, than not believe until it is too late.

So what you are saying is that it is better to believe just in case. That is not faith.
Powerline

Ahhh... desperation. Doubting are we?
These are very big questions that will NEVER be resolved. There is good in the world and there is bad. T'was ever thus and t'will ever be.
Reply 116
Powerline

better to have not believed and wasted time i say.
Ahh... Looks as if Powerline has stolen silently into the night.
Reply 118
oldthrashbarg
Ahh... Looks as if Powerline has stolen silently into the night.

Theres no point argueing with you anyway.
Powerline
Theres no point argueing with you anyway.

Well hello again. Actually, you are not arguing. It would be an argmuent if you were trying to sway me with the force of rational propositions, but you are simply stating and re-stating your belief, in order to convince yourself of the truth of it. If you truly believed you woulnd't have to talk about it to anyone. That is why religion is, by definition, a social phenomenon. It only exists between people.

The reason the bible says to go forth at convince everybody else of its truth, is that it has no truth independently of the mind the believer.

Latest

Trending

Trending