The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

When is the latest time in the course you can change from MMath to BSc?

Is it possible to, say, change from MMath to BSc any time up to the end of 3rd year or does it have to be sooner than that?

I've heard it is hard to change the other way around due to funding problems but what about MMath to BSc?

Thanks
Original post by oh_1993
Is it possible to, say, change from MMath to BSc any time up to the end of 3rd year or does it have to be sooner than that?

I've heard it is hard to change the other way around due to funding problems but what about MMath to BSc?

Thanks

You can swap between the 2 anywhere up to the end of the second year. I'm currently on the 3 year Bsc but plan to change to the 4 year MMath next year.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by TheIrrational
You can swap between the 2 anywhere up to the end of the second year. I'm currently on the 3 year Bsc but plan to change to the 4 year MMath next year.

How can people be able to start postgraduate courses at other universities after graduating then? Say if I was wanting to graduate with BSc and then do a postgraduate course at another university (applying in 3rd year I assume) then would I have to change to BSc without even knowing whether or not I would be accepted on the other course or not and run the risk of not getting on a course at all?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by oh_1993

Thanks

I've been told that you can change from mmath to bsc at any time before the start of term 2 in the 4th year. Obviously if you leave it that late then you would immediately drop out, would probably lose a lot of money and might find you haven't taken the most ideal modules. So it's better to change much earlier than that. Also if you do really badly in the exams in 4th year then they could award you a bsc instead.

With regards to applying for msc places, someone I know did their bsc somewhere else and their msc at Warwick. They applied before changing their undergraduate degree from mmath to bsc but they had some difficulties because the admissions people at Warwick thought they were trying to study msc at the same time as doing the 4th year of mmath.
Reply 4
Original post by ttoby
I've been told that you can change from mmath to bsc at any time before the start of term 2 in the 4th year. Obviously if you leave it that late then you would immediately drop out, would probably lose a lot of money and might find you haven't taken the most ideal modules. So it's better to change much earlier than that. Also if you do really badly in the exams in 4th year then they could award you a bsc instead.

With regards to applying for msc places, someone I know did their bsc somewhere else and their msc at Warwick. They applied before changing their undergraduate degree from mmath to bsc but they had some difficulties because the admissions people at Warwick thought they were trying to study msc at the same time as doing the 4th year of mmath.

So say if I was doing really well at Warwick and wanted to apply to do Part III maths at Cambridge (I assume applications of this sort are dealt with in 3rd year) then I could wait to find out if I have been accepted or not and drop to BSc if I do?

I know this is thinking very far ahead but I'm just trying to see what possibilities are available in the long term.
Reply 5
Original post by oh_1993
So say if I was doing really well at Warwick and wanted to apply to do Part III maths at Cambridge (I assume applications of this sort are dealt with in 3rd year) then I could wait to find out if I have been accepted or not and drop to BSc if I do?

I know this is thinking very far ahead but I'm just trying to see what possibilities are available in the long term.

Maybe... I'm not really sure myself what the best way of going about this is since I never applied to MSc courses. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if this issue comes up a lot among the people who do apply so if you were to contact either Cambridge or Warwick then they might have more information about the process.

Quick Reply

Latest