The Student Room Group

Funding a my Masters

I'm planning on doing my Masters this September and already have a few offers on the table. I'm planning on taking out a career development loan but from what I gather, the maximum amount I can take out is £10000, which is not enough. The course fee will be anywhere between 6000-7500 and then you have living costs, travel and all sorts of other expenses. I'm planning on applying for scholarships and bursaries but there is no guarantee that I will get one. Is there any other sort of funding I could receive? perhaps a bigger development loan?
You won't get more than the max CDL!
Reply 2
I'm afraid that most people fund their Masters independently. If they don't have enough money up front, then it's mainly down to loans and part-time work. As balotelli says, the CDL has that upper limit and I doubt you'd get any other commercial loan without a means of repayment.

I funded mine from savings as did most other people on my course, with a couple topping up with part-time jobs (although one of us had to give up work when their employer insisted that they had to work shifts which clashed with seminars). One of us used a combination of savings and a CDL, although they're now in a bit of trouble as the repayments start next September and they have no job and no prospect of one. Our course was based in the Humanities - all of us applied for AHRC funding and none of us got it, despite our university having its own block grant which theoretically made it less competitive.

I'm afraid that funding for Masters-level study is difficult to find. Sources of funding which don't carry repayment are ridiculously competitive and the deadlines for September 2013 starters have mostly passed by now.
(edited 10 years ago)
The lack of any meaningful financial support for post grad in the UK is the next big higher education crisis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending