The Student Room Group

Human Biology OCR F222, 3rd of June 2013

Scroll to see replies

what do guys think will come up and also what 7 mark questions may they ask?
Reply 21
guys have you covered every topic of the book ?? also has anyone annotated their case study ?
Hey Guys :smile:
I have some questions they MAY ask tomorrow:

Case Study 1:
What else other than exposure to sunlight can cause cancer?
Suggest why there has been an increase in the no. of cases of malignant melanoma?
What percentage of people die who are diagnosed w/ malignant melanoma
What is a mutation?
Name two other ways we can detect cancer
What is a point mutation?
How does a point mutation lead to a different amino acid being made?
Why does it matter if the amino acid changes?
How does the mutation to the BRAF Protein affect the normal functioning of the BRAF Protein?
What type of bonds hold a protein in shape?
What does inhibit mean?
What is a Phase 3 Clinical Trial?
At six months, what percentage of people were still alive?
What is chemotherapy?
What is it called when cancer spreads to other parts of the body?
The US have the FDA, what governing body do we have in the UK?

Case Study Two:
What is an infectious disease?
What is a chronic disease?
Other than chronic respiratory disease, give other examples of chronic disease
Why does DALY info. need to be age standardised?
What is a major cause for Chronic Respiratory Disease?
Chronic respiratory disease increasingly contributes to the health burden of a country. Why?
What is COPD?
What strategies could be used to reduce chronic respiratory disease?
What is a risk factor?
Why are women more at risk?
Reply 23
Me too!
My teacher gave us a list of revision questions.. bit late for revising but here goes!

Case Study 1

What is cancer?
How does it develop?
How are proto-oncogenes, oncogenes and tumour suppressor genes involved in cancer?
What is a malignant tumour?
What is meant by incidence of disease?
Why do you think melanoma is on the increase?
How does a gene code for a protein?
...And so how does a point mutation result in glucamate replacing valine in a proteins primary structure?
What is the link between sunlight and gene mutation?
What is an enzyme?
Why is the shape [tertiary structure] of the enzyme significant?
How do enzyme inhibitors work?
What is the purpose of phase 3 trials?
Phase 3 trials are often randomised. How? Why?
How might a blind or double blind trial be conducted?
How do chemotherapy drugs more often work?
How do cancers spread to other parts of the body?
In the UK what body licences drugs?
....And what issues do they consider before awarding a licence?

Case Study 2

Define these terms: Infectious disease
Chronic disease
How does chronic disease differ from acute disease?
Why are fewer people dying from infectious diseases?
....And why might this change in the future?
Why is age standardising necessary to compare DALY information of different countries?
What are the characteristics and symptoms of asthma
What treatment is given to asthma sufferers? [inc names of drugs]
In what ways do chronic diseases "have a negative impact on families and societies"?
What Chronic Respiratory Disease prevention policies might GARD recommend?
What treatment is given to COPD sufferers?
How does COPD develop as a result of smoking?
Suggest some "affordable stategies for management of COPD" that GARD might recommend
What problems might be encountered in the introduction of these strategies in developing countries?
Reply 24
thanks guys gd luck
How does the mutation to the BRAF Protein affect the normal functioning of the BRAF Protein?
What does inhibit mean?

Chronic respiratory disease increasingly contributes to the health burden of a country. Why?
What is a risk factor?
Why is age standardising necessary to compare DALY information of different countries?
Suggest some "affordable stategies for management of COPD" that GARD might recommend
What problems might be encountered in the introduction of these strategies in developing countries?

some 1 plzzz help me im so desperate, plz does anyone knw the answer to these questions. i knw theres a lot, but plz im will to help in return if you need it.
:confused:
Reply 26
Original post by junaid_k17
What does inhibit mean?

What is a risk factor?

some 1 plzzz help me im so desperate, plz does anyone knw the answer to these questions. i knw theres a lot, but plz im will to help in return if you need it.
:confused:

1. A point mutation refers to a single base in a nucleotide being replaced.
2. DNA codes for protein synthesis, this a mutated gene will code for a protein with a different shape.
3. If one amino acid is replaced in the sequence, this can affect the tertiary shape and therefore function of the protein.
4. The mutation of the BRAF protein causes the enzyme to be locked in their active state, menaing that they trigger genes for mitosis to be switche son when no extra cellular growth factor is present.
5. Inhibit means that a factor prevents the action of an enzyme either by blocking its active site or changing its tertiary structure.
6.(Wont be asked, on A2) if curious via RNA
7. NICE - The national institute for clinical excellence
8. They consider how long the treatment is taken for it to be effective, how it compares to existing drugs in terms of effectiveness, what similar conditions it can be used with, what and how bad are the side-effects, how expensive treatment is and what problems the drug may cause.

9. Age is a risk factor for some diseases (To be honest, DALY shouldn't be age-standardised... That is the point. Interesting article in Newscientist a few weeks ago.)
10. Developing countries = more cars = pollution. Genetics (Asthma). Lack of treatment in some countries. Tbh it depend son marks available.
11. Banning smoking completely, as done In 2007 in public places UK. Targeting those most at risk (certain groups). Implementing education on matter etc.
12. A risk factor is something that increases the chance (when exposed to)of a person contracting a certain illness.
13. Low view of women in some counties = fear of ostracisation.
14. Diagnoses, treatment and prevention better
15. People are exposed to less smoke from tobacco in public places. Pollution increases, people live longer so may have greater risk of contacting a disease etc.
16. People in different countries (comparing LDC to MDC) typically have different life spans anyway, so one DALY in Chad would be 3% of their life gone, where 1 DALY in Uk would be 0.75%.
17. Education about risk factors, targeting at risk groups, providing more available diagnosis and treatments opportunities.
18. Oxygen tank, a truckload of sympathy and not much else.
19. Educating about dangers of smoking, regular screening programs
- peak flow, spirometer Etc.
20. Discrimination against sufferers, not following a treatment plan, no means to disseminate informations, no available treatment centres, lack of doctors, lack of education, lack of infrastructure generally, short lifespan and conditions gradually becoming more aggravating towards respiratory disease.

Also simply to define a chronic illness : illness that cannot spread between two people and is not caused by pathogens.

Others ways an oncogene could cause cancer.
Original post by Ulfr
1. A point mutation refers to a single base in a nucleotide being replaced.
2. DNA codes for protein synthesis, this a mutated gene will code for a protein with a different shape.
3. If one amino acid is replaced in the sequence, this can affect the tertiary shape and therefore function of the protein.
4. The mutation of the BRAF protein causes the enzyme to be locked in their active state, menaing that they trigger genes for mitosis to be switche son when no extra cellular growth factor is present.
5. Inhibit means that a factor prevents the action of an enzyme either by blocking its active site or changing its tertiary structure.
6.(Wont be asked, on A2) if curious via RNA
7. NICE - The national institute for clinical excellence
8. They consider how long the treatment is taken for it to be effective, how it compares to existing drugs in terms of effectiveness, what similar conditions it can be used with, what and how bad are the side-effects, how expensive treatment is and what problems the drug may cause.

9. Age is a risk factor for some diseases (To be honest, DALY shouldn't be age-standardised... That is the point. Interesting article in Newscientist a few weeks ago.)
10. Developing countries = more cars = pollution. Genetics (Asthma). Lack of treatment in some countries. Tbh it depend son marks available.
11. Banning smoking completely, as done In 2007 in public places UK. Targeting those most at risk (certain groups). Implementing education on matter etc.
12. A risk factor is something that increases the chance (when exposed to)of a person contracting a certain illness.
13. Low view of women in some counties = fear of ostracisation.
14. Diagnoses, treatment and prevention better
15. People are exposed to less smoke from tobacco in public places. Pollution increases, people live longer so may have greater risk of contacting a disease etc.
16. People in different countries (comparing LDC to MDC) typically have different life spans anyway, so one DALY in Chad would be 3% of their life gone, where 1 DALY in Uk would be 0.75%.
17. Education about risk factors, targeting at risk groups, providing more available diagnosis and treatments opportunities.
18. Oxygen tank, a truckload of sympathy and not much else.
19. Educating about dangers of smoking, regular screening programs
- peak flow, spirometer Etc.
20. Discrimination against sufferers, not following a treatment plan, no means to disseminate informations, no available treatment centres, lack of doctors, lack of education, lack of infrastructure generally, short lifespan and conditions gradually becoming more aggravating towards respiratory disease.

Also simply to define a chronic illness : illness that cannot spread between two people and is not caused by pathogens.

Others ways an oncogene could cause cancer.

thank you soo much if you need any help just ask:smile:
do have any last minute advice on what may come up and what the long mark question will be?
Reply 29
do have any last minute advice on what may come up and what the long mark question will be?

Wagering it's on a process such as mitosis, atherosclerosis, asthma attack, stem cell differentiation or DNA replication... Just please god not on antenatal care!
Reply 30
How people find it?
Reply 31
I thought the exam went okay. It wasn't really what I was expecting for example that question on phase 3 clinical trials I guessed and put down the things that happen during phase 4 :/ I thought the "Label where Non Disjunction happens" question was a little vague... I put a ring around the last arrows on the left and said it would happen during anaphase 2. Couldn't think of a second chronic disease apart from CHD that wasn't cancer or respiratory so I put AIDS, hopefully that's okay :s-smilie: Thankfully I remembered the DTaP as Diptheria, Tetanus and Pertussis :biggrin:

Oh by the way, for that CPR question did it say the patient DID have a cardiac arrest? How would you get 9 marks for just talking about someone with cardiac arrest? o.O I didn't read it properly I don't think and did the normal procedure of a heart attack eg. Call an ambulance, keep them calm, rescue breathing if needed, if they go into cardiac arrest perform CPR, 100bpm, chest compressions, use a defibrillator if you're qualified... and then for the medic I said they could give morphine for the pain (because I didn't realise the question said they were already under cardiac arrest), asperin + warfarin to stop blood clots and thin the blood and finally I took a punt at saying "could give a drug to dilate arteries".

Can't think of any other weird questions, what about you, how did you think you did?
Same fir the cpr question I tslked about how cpr is done and tgen for tge med practioner I put give aspirin. Do you fink I culd get all the marks for that.

Also for the otger one I put tentanus tb and polio doyou fink thts ryte.

Also the 9 mark vaccine Q I talked about that first dose cause primary response then talked about how B and T lymphocytes made memory cells.i then said second dose boost the no. Of memory cells as it cayse tge secondary response. Do u fink id get full marks for tht.
Also for yhe diff in daly in india and uk. I put uk has better med care also less air pollutants also more people are educated also thrre is earlier detection and treatment vefire sympton increasely become worse. Do u lit gink id get full marks for that
Reply 34
Same fir the cpr question I tslked about how cpr is done and tgen for tge med practioner I put give aspirin. Do you fink I culd get all the marks for that.

Also for the otger one I put tentanus tb and polio doyou fink thts ryte.

Also the 9 mark vaccine Q I talked about that first dose cause primary response then talked about how B and T lymphocytes made memory cells.i then said second dose boost the no. Of memory cells as it cayse tge secondary response. Do u fink id get full marks for tht.

Regards to the CPR question I'm not sure tbh, did you say the specific things they like you to say like 100bpm and lay them down on their back? I don't have a clue how you're meant to get 9 marks just on CPR tbh. Tetanus is right, TB and polio are wrong. I'm not sure if you'd get away with spelling it "tentanus" if that's really how you spelt it. You're on the right lines for the vaccine question, unfortunately I forgot to mention much about the secondary immune response being faster :s-smilie: Did you mention clonal selection, expansion, antigen presentation, hydrogen peroxide used by T Killer Cells and B Cells differentiating into Plasma cells aswell?
Reply 35
Also for yhe diff in daly in india and uk. I put uk has better med care also less air pollutants also more people are educated also thrre is earlier detection and treatment vefire sympton increasely become worse. Do u lit gink id get full marks for that

Yeah that's pretty much what I put :smile:
What did you guys put for the very first question "why is complementary base pairing important?" and how does the drug inhibit bRAC gene, and how is brac gene a proto-oncogene, and lastly reasons for the similarities and difference of incidence in men an women?
Reply 37
Original post by theblackreaper
What did you guys put for the very first question "why is complementary base pairing important?" and how does the drug inhibit bRAC gene, and how is brac gene a proto-oncogene, and lastly reasons for the similarities and difference of incidence in men an women?

Ughhhh that first question was horrible I guessed and rambled on about semi conservative replication and said that it meant that mutations were unlikely to occur. I also mentioned they were hydrogen bonds because yolo.

I said the gene is a proto-oncogene because it codes for growth factors such as CDKs and cyclins or possibly the receptors specific to those growth factors.

I said the drug inhibits the faulty protein because it has a specific shape and function therefore the drug might bind to the allosteric site of the enzyme to cause it to change shape so it can no longer bind to protein 3 and uncontrolled cell division will not occur.
Original post by theblackreaper

Fortge complementary 1 I just put A pairs with T only and C only pairs with G. And also I put about hw mny h bonds between them.i dnt knw if thts ryre though?

For inhibition I put that it either binds to active site of enzyme or binds to it and denatures it.

Gor the proto oncogen I put that it regulates cell divition by sending sigbsls to nucleus to turb on or off genes for dna replication

For simillarity I put increaeed exposure to uv rays of the sun
And difference I didnt put 1.
Original post by Nathan2995
Regards to the CPR question I'm not sure tbh, did you say the specific things they like you to say like 100bpm and lay them down on their back? I don't have a clue how you're meant to get 9 marks just on CPR tbh. Tetanus is right, TB and polio are wrong. I'm not sure if you'd get away with spelling it "tentanus" if that's really how you spelt it. You're on the right lines for the vaccine question, unfortunately I forgot to mention much about the secondary immune response being faster :s-smilie: Did you mention clonal selection, expansion, antigen presentation, hydrogen peroxide used by T Killer Cells and B Cells differentiating into Plasma cells aswell?

Polio is correct

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending