The Student Room Group

"Don't look for a girlfriend/boyfriend" Is that true or complete crap?

Scroll to see replies

When you're around the right or similar minded people, they will come to you, gravitate to you, the connection will be made :smile:
Millie228 is right. You can't possibly expect to meet the right person if you don't put yourself out there and stick to your standards, otherwise you're not going to meet anyone, or they certainly won't be the person you want to be with. What's the point in dating 15 people if you aren't compatible with any of them?
The phrase has merit.

I think what it really means is that you should not appear desperate to get a partner. I think there is some truth in saying that someone who is actively looking for a girlfriend or boyfriend may give off certain 'vibes' which are not overly attractive. On the other hand, someone who appears happy with their current status and whose whole life is not about finding 'the one' will give off much better vibes and will appear more attractive.

This isn't to say that you should not make an effort. You should still meet new people and the rest of it.
I think what it means is don't try to see people as potential partners when you meet them. I spent years trying to meet boys and convincing myself I fancied them when I actually didn't just because I really wanted a relationship, but by the time I got to uni I realised it was pointless seeing most of the boys I meet as potential boyfriends when there isn't actually that much of a connection there. Lo and behold, three weeks in, when I really wasn't expecting it, I met a guy who I had an instant connection with and we've been together for 19 months.

I do think that you do have to get yourself into situations where you could potentially meet someone sometimes, but if you see everyone as a potential boyfriend/girlfriend, then you're less likely to end up in a relationship. It's definitely worth waiting until you do feel a genuine connection with somoene or you'll end up being really frustrated.
Reply 24
It depends how sociable you are. If you only mix with the same 3 same-sex friends then chances are you will need to look and put some effort in. If you mingle with new people frequently and have many friends then chances are you'll stumble across somebody.
Reply 25
Looking doesn't work with relationships. You just end up trying to make something out of everything little potential spark you find. Just get along with people like any other normal person and something more will come from it naturally.
Switching off your router and putting on your shoes would be a start
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 27
Let's be real tea; which man in his right mind would would want a relationship with a modern day woman?

No thanks Jeffery.

But I think that the UK is in a unique position in regards to this compared to other Western nations. There's a higher proportion of ruthless pump and dumpers (think the LAD culture) which I think is a good thing socially (although not from a personal standpoint as there's more competition :tongue:).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Millie228
Complete crap.
Obviously crap for men - they have to approach women for anything to happen, and women they find attractive and whom seem like relationship material if they want more.
But for girls too.
- Approachability. You can't stand in a group of girls (or worse yet - men), with arms crossed against your body and a sour puss and expect men to approach you. Smile, have an open body language, don't go out with men and limit the amount of girls you're with. No man wants to approach 5 girls and then be responsible for entertaining the whole group (or worse yet, be made fun of in front of them).
- Attractiveness. Doing your hair and makeup once a month going to a club doesn't count. Some girls seem to think of their league according to their potential. It doesn't matter if you can be an 8 dressed up, if that happens once in a fortnight. What you look like daily is your level. If you go to school or work in sweat pants and sneakers, you're a a 4 maximum and don't expect to attract men beyond that. Take care of yourself if you want to appear feminine and most importantly - someone who's positive, likes to feel good and embraces life, not just "goes through it".
- Filtering. If you spend your time with morons, *******s, men who "aren't looking for commitment", "just want to be friends" or "focusing on work right now", you won't find the guy. For any attractive woman, filtering is a big part of it. You are responsible for your own romantic happiness and any time spent with time-wasters, is time off the market when you COULD have met the right guy.
- You have to put yourself out there. You won't meet a man unless you're meeting men. Over a year you can be around 100,000 who's eligible, 10,000 who likes you, 100 who approaches you, 10 you like back, 5 who goes beyond a second date which will result in 1 who turns into a relationship. And that relationship won't necessarily result in marriage. Some women are desperate and will schedule a date with anyone who approaches them. But if you have standards, chemistry is rare and the women who get men they are compatible with long term expose themselves to loads of men. That perfect one won't come knocking at your door. You have to expand your social circle, meet people at school or work, go to parties, go to the gym, go to bars and have hobbies to meet men daily if you are to find the right guy. For the one right guy there are 1000 wrongs.

These could also be turned around to men - except approachability. Finding the right person doesn't "just happen". Sure when it does happen it feels like a coincidence, but there were steps leading up to that. Ignore people who say "don't change" and "it happens when it happens". If you're under 25, you have a lot of improving and growing up to do. The idea that people are fully formed as an 18 year old is bizarre. You have to improve yourself. If you want something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done.

Excellent advice and it prompted me to ask, Do you happen to read 'The Rules Revisited' blog by any chance?
Reply 29
When I stopped caring about wanting to get a girl, I actually got one a few weeks later, from being friends to more
don't just be with someone because you want to be in with the crowd and have a relationship, but if you sit around and not make an effort to meet new people how will you ever meet your mr/mrs right??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by Ultimate1
Let's be real tea; which man in his right mind would would want a relationship with a modern day woman?

No thanks Jeffery.

But I think that the UK is in a unique position in regards to this compared to other Western nations. There's a higher proportion of ruthless pump and dumpers (think the LAD culture) which I think is a good thing socially (although not from a personal standpoint as there's more competition :tongue:).

No thanks Jeff? Uaware?

And I agree, lol the UK does have a large LAD culture haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by Millie228

- You have to put yourself out there. You won't meet a man unless you're meeting men. Over a year you can be around 100,000 who's eligible, 10,000 who likes you, 100 who approaches you, 10 you like back, 5 who goes beyond a second date which will result in 1 who turns into a relationship. And that relationship won't necessarily result in marriage. Some women are desperate and will schedule a date with anyone who approaches them. But if you have standards, chemistry is rare and the women who get men they are compatible with long term expose themselves to loads of men. That perfect one won't come knocking at your door. You have to expand your social circle, meet people at school or work, go to parties, go to the gym, go to bars and have hobbies to meet men daily if you are to find the right guy. For the one right guy there are 1000 wrongs.

These could also be turned around to men - except approachability. Finding the right person doesn't "just happen". Sure when it does happen it feels like a coincidence, but there were steps leading up to that. Ignore people who say "don't change" and "it happens when it happens". If you're under 25, you have a lot of improving and growing up to do. The idea that people are fully formed as an 18 year old is bizarre. You have to improve yourself. If you want something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done.

Your post reminded me of this:

0db.jpg
Original post by OddThings
Excellent advice and it prompted me to ask, Do you happen to read 'The Rules Revisited' blog by any chance?

That blog has some ridiculous posts.
Reply 34
Original post by InnerTemple
That blog has some ridiculous posts.

Which ones would you say are ridiculous?
Reply 35
Original post by ZRO
No thanks Jeff? Uaware?

And I agree, lol the UK does have a large LAD culture haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aware, brah.

Sloots gonna sloot 'nomsaiyin?
Reply 36
Original post by MENDACIUM
Your post reminded me of this:

0db.jpg

- Signed, "Guy who's too shy to approach women and expecting the world to change around him". Man's logic.

Yeah, why develop confidence? It's not like it's good for anything else.
Original post by Ezekiella
Which ones would you say are ridiculous?

The last time someone cited it, I took exception to the 'never initiate contact' post.
Reply 38
Original post by OddThings

Sometimes. I don't follow guides on appearance as much. I am quite focused on it already and think that advice is more for women who's barely starting out in terms of taking care of themselves. But I follow the posts on commitment, dating, marriage and so on. They're very good.
Reply 39
Original post by InnerTemple
The last time someone cited it, I took exception to the 'never initiate contact' post.

Yeah, I think most hard and fast rules about dating (except obvious ones like "dump them if you know for sure they've cheated") are probably best not followed to the letter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending