The Student Room Group

Edexel level 3 BTEC foundation diploma ART AND DESIGN

Hi, I'm 23 and have recently been made redundant from my job as an electrician. I've been thinking of a career change for a while and being laid off has has given me time to think about what I want to do. I've always been interested in design, I originally wanted to go straight into it from school as I would spend a lot of time in and out of school drawing and painting etc, however once I started full time work all that stopped and I now want to get back into it.

The problem is I'm not 100% on what area of art and design I'd enjoy doing the most, and want to do a course where I'll cover a few different areas so i can decide which is best for me, rather than dive straight into a 3 year course and it not being the best option for me. Has anyone done this course and if so could you give me any advice, or feedback on how you found the course and whether it would be a good choice for me? Also what kind of things to put in my portfolio to take to the interview, what do the tutors look for etc? Any advice would be extremely helpful. Thanks

Dominic
Reply 1
Original post by dompenney
Hi, I'm 23 and have recently been made redundant from my job as an electrician. I've been thinking of a career change for a while and being laid off has has given me time to think about what I want to do. I've always been interested in design, I originally wanted to go straight into it from school as I would spend a lot of time in and out of school drawing and painting etc, however once I started full time work all that stopped and I now want to get back into it.

The problem is I'm not 100% on what area of art and design I'd enjoy doing the most, and want to do a course where I'll cover a few different areas so i can decide which is best for me, rather than dive straight into a 3 year course and it not being the best option for me. Has anyone done this course and if so could you give me any advice, or feedback on how you found the course and whether it would be a good choice for me? Also what kind of things to put in my portfolio to take to the interview, what do the tutors look for etc? Any advice would be extremely helpful. Thanks

Dominic

I haven't done it but I am in September after completing my a levels.
I know u can study 4 of 8 options which u try out them all & then have feedback from tutors which to choose.
Textiles, fine art, photography, graphics, 3D, illustration, ceramics & fashion are the options at my college which is the btec 3 diploma.
I took sketchbooks for interview so they recommend taking a collection of your studies which u can speak about. When are u wanting to start? I had my interview for this sept in feb this year :/
It is regarded upon prior to uni, build up skills, confidence & portfolio

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending