The Student Room Group

Do University lecturers write the exam papers?

Does the lecturer who teaches a module write the subsequent exam paper for that module?

Gonna cliff this because somehow I turn the simplest of things into paragraphs:

- Last week a lecturer sent us a recently published article saying it may be useful for revision.

- Assuming the lecturer does write the exam I thought there's no way he would send us something to revise in the knowledge it won't come up, that would just waste our time and be misleading.

- Had the exam today, one of the questions was directly related to the article.

- Today (this is another module and another lecturer) I asked the lecturer if things that were covered in the coursework are likely to come up in the exam.

- He emailed me back and said some topics, like (and then gave reference to a specific component of the module), may come up because they are so broad.

- I'm thinking, if he knew this specific thing wouldn't come up he referred to, he would've just said "some things may be replicated because they are so broad" without referring to something in particular.

What do you guys think? I don't want to invest all my time into one thing just in case it wouldn't come up, but going on my first example it seems like it should?

Thanks!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
As far as I know it is the lecturers that write the exam. However be cautious with that, although they may give you a slight hint which way the questions could go, it is also frivolous to assume that's all that will come up. It will be useful to keep cracking on with the rest of the course as well, just in case. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Miller693
As far as I know it is the lecturers that write the exam. However be cautious with that, although they may give you a slight hint which way the questions could go, it is also frivolous to assume that's all that will come up. It will be useful to keep cracking on with the rest of the course as well, just in case. :smile:

Thanks, I've already covered other topics so I have some back-ups provided it doesn't come up. The exam is tomorrow and so I think I'll just revise the topic he mentioned in the email today and go over the rest of my notes again later tonight/tomorrow morning.
I thought they did, yup

Posted from TSR Mobile
They usually write it, or they could let some of their phD students do it for them, but they set the structure/rules and they always decide what eventually gets put in there or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending